OT: Alex Cora's Philosophy | The Boneyard

OT: Alex Cora's Philosophy

Reaction Score
If you follow the Red Sox, you know that Manager Alex Cora has a policy of resting his key players on a rotating basis. Each gets a day off every ten days or so. Mookie Betts, for example, has already been rested twice in the Sox first 25 games. It didn't matter to Cora that Mookie Betts has been on a season-long batting tear and is all of 25 years old. He still needs his every ten-day rest.

The effect of this is that the Red Sox are trying to beat the Yankees this year without ever putting their best starting lineup on the field. Interesting strategy, if it works. I wonder how many others here think it might be a mistake.

For the record, Cal Ripken Jr. played his 2632nd consecutive game for the Orioles at the age of 38.

Reaction Score
Don't like it. Not saying that you don't rest players but what Cora is doing is never fielding our best team. Until last night Pedroia and Bogarts were both out and if you sit 1 more starter then you have 3 out. I understand the strategy but don't like it.

Reaction Score
If you follow the Red Sox, you know that Manager Alex Cora has a policy of resting his key players on a rotating basis. Each gets a day off every ten days or so. Mookie Betts, for example, has already been rested twice in the Sox first 25 games. It didn't matter to Cora that Mookie Betts has been on a season-long batting tear and is all of 25 years old. He still needs his every ten-day rest.

The effect of this is that the Red Sox are trying to beat the Yankees this year without ever putting their best starting lineup on the field. Interesting strategy, if it works. I wonder how many others here think it might be a mistake.

For the record, Cal Ripken Jr. played his 2632nd consecutive game for the Orioles at the age of 38.

Injuries make it impossible for most teams to have their best team on the field anyway this doesn’t seem like any big deal. It’s worked so far as they bring people off the bench and even they are hitting. We’ll see how much he rests people when they hit the skid.

Reaction Score
So far, lovin' it. Won 19 of 25....Even at 6-4 in their last 10...if they do that the rest of the year, that's 101 wins.

For now, just assuming the guy knows better than I do, but if/when the winning pace starts to dip...will quickly switch over to hating it. :cool:

Reaction Score
Last year under Farrel's game philosophy, the players wore down by the end of the year. And they even admitted to it recently. I know Chris Sale is a pitcher and is still making his starts every five days, but he is a perfect example. He's taken a different approach this year under Cora, haven't seen the results in September and October yet under his new workout regimen. Look at how flat his slider was against Houston in the ALDS last year. The dude wore down. Mookie had some nagging injuries, Bogaerts had hurt his hand earlier in the summer, Eduardo Nunez had/has a knee problem. It's worked so far. But we'll definitely be putting our best lineup there in October. The trick is just getting there, and the sox are on pace to do so.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I can see pitchers and catchers needing rest, but how much of a game are the other players actually doing anything? 1/2 the game they sit in the dugout.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Great strategy until we stop winning 80% of our games...then he's a moron. Obviously.

Reaction Score
Great strategy until we stop winning 80% of our games...then he's a moron. Obviously.

I'll settle for 60% the rest of the way, that'll be 100 Ws....that should be good enough.
But, yes...obviously if the pace starts to slack he's a maroon....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Part of the greatness of the Red Sox is having an awesome bench. Three catchers who could start for any team, gold glove caliber Moreland, versatile guys like Holt and Nunez you can plug into 3-4 spots and not miss a beat. Considering Farrell’s teams the last couple years flamed out dramatically in September and October resting guys ain’t the worst thing. You’re not going to go 162-0.

Reaction Score
Part of the greatness of the Red Sox is having an awesome bench. Three catchers who could start for any team, gold glove caliber Moreland, versatile guys like Holt and Nunez you can plug into 3-4 spots and not miss a beat. Considering Farrell’s teams the last couple years flamed out dramatically in September and October resting guys ain’t the worst thing. You’re not going to go 162-0.

I'm not sure you actually mean 3 catchers that could start for "any team"?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Mental exhaustion and travel wears down players. People think baseball isn't tiring but it is
Mental exhaustion playing baseball? Manager maybe. It's so slow moving today the biggest problem would seem to be not falling asleep during a game for the everyday players except catchers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mental exhaustion playing baseball? Manager maybe. It's so slow moving today the biggest problem would seem to be not falling asleep during a game for the everyday players except catchers.

Those pitches coming into the plate aren't slow moving.

Reaction Score
I lean towards liking this strategy, but the verdict isn't likely come until later in the season. I wouldn't think that the hot start has much to do with it.

I don't know, though. There are plenty of guys who still play 160 games. You'd probably have to do a statistical analysis that measures things like variance and attempts to gauge the amount of games it takes for a player to become more susceptible to fatigue. I'm not smart enough to figure that out, but does anyone know whether this strategy is numbers driven or just a hunch? I'm sure these things are only going to get wackier through time where players will literally be wearing a device to track these things.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I lean towards liking this strategy, but the verdict isn't likely come until later in the season. I wouldn't think that the hot start has much to do with it.

I don't know, though. There are plenty of guys who still play 160 games. You'd probably have to do a statistical analysis that measures things like variance and attempts to gauge the amount of games it takes for a player to become more susceptible to fatigue. I'm not smart enough to figure that out, but does anyone know whether this strategy is numbers driven or just a hunch? I'm sure these things are only going to get wackier through time where players will literally be wearing a device to track these things.

I'd think it would be a different number of games for different guys and different positions as well.

JD Martinez should get more run than Pedroia. Mookie more than Nunez, etc.

Reaction Score
Mental exhaustion and travel wears down players. People think baseball isn't tiring but it is
I don't know man, you can play three baseball games in a day with no problem. I'm sure there's a degree of mental exhaustion but sitting out a game isn't going to really change that. It's not like you're taking a series off and sitting at home on the couch to recharge.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't know man, you can play three baseball games in a day with no problem. I'm sure there's a degree of mental exhaustion but sitting out a game isn't going to really change that. It's not like you're taking a series off and sitting at home on the couch to recharge.
I disagree with this entire post. Have you ever played a 9 inning game? Double headers kill you, and usually one is at night when it’s cooler out. Anything during the day is rough.

Reaction Score

If you have a day off you are informed the day before. That means you aren't showing up 4 hours before game for your pre game routine, meal, trainer work, extra swings ect.

With a day off you are coming in maybe 130-2 hours before. That's a huge difference for ball players.

Baseball is the most mentally taxing game and people underestimate the effects. It's also physically grueling and people don't exactly realize that either. There are rarely any days off in baseball. Days off are usually travel days

Reaction Score
I disagree with this entire post. Have you ever played a 9 inning game? Double headers kill you, and usually one is at night when it’s cooler out. Anything during the day is rough.
I played high level AAU baseball. We would play five games per weekend pretty regularly. If there wasn't a Friday game that meant three games on Saturday or Sunday depending on how the bracket was set up.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Don Zimmer trotted out the same crew game after game. How'd that work out? Cora's keeping the entire roster involved, he's doing a great job.

It left them tied for the best record in the conference and possibly a Bucky Dent dinger away from ending their streak 25 ears earlier. No shade on that team. The just ran into the greatest team of destiny ever!

Reaction Score
Are you saying Vazquez, Sandy Leon and Swihart could all start for any team? Not one of them would start over Posey, Gary Sanchez, Kurt Suzuki, Yadi, Wieters or probably 5 to 10 other catchers. I’m a big Sox fan as well, but that’s not even close to true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom