OT: 2017-2018 NBA Season Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: 2017-2018 NBA Season Thread

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority with this opinion but I hate this Celtics team and the fact that Boston fans of all people appear to have stumbled into a perennial contender for the next decade + is nauseating.

R.I.P. Terry Glenn
They didn't stumble into it, to be fair. They made good signings, great trades, and hoarded assets. And they have a lot picks coming their way, too. Memphis is Top-8 protected next year, then Top-6, then unprotected in addition to the LAL/Sac pick.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No love for al horford in here? Guy is one of the top contenders for DPOY right now.

Man I wish smart could shoot...all that work over the summer and he just can't get it going.

Oh, he can shoot. He shot it 15 times last night!

Reaction Score
They didn't stumble into it, to be fair. They made good signings, great trades, and hoarded assets. And they have a lot picks coming their way, too. Memphis is Top-8 protected next year, then Top-6, then unprotected in addition to the LAL/Sac pick.
He's just trying to say the fans stumbled into it, whatever that means. The Celtics brass clearly knew what they were doing and hiring Brad Stevens was the biggest part of it all.

Reaction Score
Celtics are really good and going to be great for a long time and they actually match up better with the Warriors than anyone IMO. I still don't think anyone is beating the Warriors in a 7 game season for the next couple of years though.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Celtics are really good and going to be great for a long time and they actually match up better with the Warriors than anyone IMO. I still don't think anyone is beating the Warriors in a 7 game season for the next couple of years though.

all it takes is one injury or Green to become obsessed with another man's junk again...

the Q

Reaction Score

I'm really curious how they handle their cap in the new few years.

Smart needs an extension this summer.

Kyrie and Rozier next summer (since both Rozier and Smart were untouchable in trades this summer my guess is they wanna keep both).

Brown the year after that (this is also when Al expires)

Tatum the year after that

Idk how much of a tax bill the owner is willing to pay to keep the band together.

Reaction Score
I would suspect they let Smart walk, and save that money for Kyrie and potentially Rozier. It wouldn’t shock me if both Smart and Rozier were gone in a couple years though.

Horford’s money will come off the books around the time Jaylen/Tatum need to be extended. But they’ll definitely have to be creative to keep the core together.

Reaction Score
I'm really curious how they handle their cap in the new few years.

Smart needs an extension this summer.

Kyrie and Rozier next summer (since both Rozier and Smart were untouchable in trades this summer my guess is they wanna keep both).

Brown the year after that (this is also when Al expires)

Tatum the year after that

Idk how much of a tax bill the owner is willing to pay to keep the band together.
Geez, watch the basketball games & enjoy the players. Tatum isn't 20 games into his career and you are wondering about resigning him?! I love watching Smart play & since he expires this year its relevant to debate his possible extension- especially since given the Hayward injury & youth the team is likely a year away from legit title contention. But regardless, they will employ basketball players & attempt to sign the best ones they can at market/best prices they can.

the Q

Reaction Score
Geez, watch the basketball games & enjoy the players. Tatum isn't 20 games into his career and you are wondering about resigning him?! I love watching Smart play & since he expires this year its relevant to debate his possible extension- especially since given the Hayward injury & youth the team is likely a year away from legit title contention. But regardless, they will employ basketball players & attempt to sign the best ones they can at market/best prices they can.

Sorry just some were talking a decade long run. Keeping these guys around for that kind of run would be challenging.

Also I will never give the NBA another live minute after game 7 in 2010.

Reaction Score
Sorry just some were talking a decade long run. Keeping these guys around for that kind of run would be challenging.

Also I will never give the NBA another live minute after game 7 in 2010.
This explains grading the Kyrie trade as a "D" and saying Tatum would never be good in this league. Makes sense now.

the Q

Reaction Score
This explains grading the Kyrie trade as a "D" and saying Tatum would never be good in this league. Makes sense now.

I don't believe in paying $50 for a $20 stock.

Never makes sense.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He's just trying to say the fans stumbled into it, whatever that means. The Celtics brass clearly knew what they were doing and hiring Brad Stevens was the biggest part of it all.

As opposed to, you know, Yankee fans, who earned those 27 titles.

the Q

Reaction Score
You keep telling yourself that when the stock price hits $500.

It’s probably at 45 right now.

Still could’ve done better paying a fair price.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It’s probably at 45 right now.

Still could’ve done better paying a fair price.

The price was the price. It was either you pay it or you don't. Paying it was the right move. You're on an island here.

And you're still trying to say Ainge overpaid? How are Crowder (the "steal" of the trade!) and Zizic doing?

I'd ask if you'd seen how much better the Celts are defensively with Irving than they were with IT and Crowder but you just admitted you actually don't watch NBA basketball, so forget it.

Reaction Score
I don't believe in paying $50 for a $20 stock.

Never makes sense.
Keep dying on that island. I am sure in your own head you also still believe that this was a 2 player draft and Tatum wasn't one of them.

Reaction Score
The price was the price. It was either you pay it or you don't. Paying it was the right move. You're on an island here.

And you're still trying to say Ainge overpaid? How are Crowder (the "steal" of the trade!) and Zizic doing?

I'd ask if you'd seen how much better the Celts are defensively with Irving than they were with IT and Crowder but you just admitted you actually don't watch NBA basketball, so forget it.
The trade was an absolute no-brainer for the Celtics.

Reaction Score

This almost has to change, but at this moment Ainge absolutely fleeced the market.
Exhibit A is Cleveland vs Boston results thru 18 games.
Exhibit B is Fultz. Essentially Ainge pretended he was all-in Fultz is consensus #1 while likely never believing it or wanting Fultz.

Avery Bradley is doing well in Detroit, but the difference in the Celtics defense with the length they acquired and now regularly employ is astounding. Last year they had B talent that played with A effort and IQ (via Stevens), they've upgraded even before they can possibly be accustomed to playing together and despite losing 1/3 key offseason acquisitions?! And of course if they didn't have Kyrie they'd be struggling right now. Some people just like to criticize Danny Ainge, maybe cuz he was an irritant as a player.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This almost has to change, but at this moment Ainge absolutely fleeced the market.
Exhibit A is Cleveland vs Boston results thru 18 games.
Ainge did great, but 18 games is a pretty small sample size. And don't look now, but the Cavs seem to have figured some stuff out (5 straight wins, 4 of them on the road) even with IT & Thompson still on the mend. And given the uncertainty of LeBron's future, it probably made a good amount of sense for Cleveland to try to bank a lottery pick.

I think this could end up being a trade that benefits both teams. Decent chance both GMs come out of this looking good.

The team that Ainge really dunked on is Philly with the 1-for-3 swap. Tatum's great.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ainge did great, but 18 games is a pretty small sample size. And don't look now, but the Cavs seem to have figured some stuff out (5 straight wins, 4 of them on the road) even with IT & Thompson still on the mend. And given the uncertainty of LeBron's future, it probably made a good amount of sense for Cleveland to try to bank a lottery pick.

I think this could end up being a trade that benefits both teams. Decent chance both GMs come out of this looking good.

The team that Ainge really dunked on is Philly with the 1-for-3 swap. Tatum's great.

You may be right. Pick needs to be a winner, though.

For us, the sample size is big enough to see this team is capable of playing much better defense than last year's team. Most of that is due to an increase in length.

Reaction Score
Some people just like to criticize Danny Ainge, maybe cuz he was an irritant as a player.
Guy took a franchise, in 04, that hadn't been relevant in over a decade, being generous, and won a title a few years later. Also went to the finals and lost (to Kobe), went to the East finals twice (and lost), and has now put together a team that are probably going to beat LBJ and can absolutely challenge the Ws and that will likely be good for quite a few years. I'm leaving stuff out here.
Guy is flat out a very good GM/Exec/Prez, whatever.
And I hated the 80s Celtics, still don't like the franchise, and never liked Ainge personally.
If/when they play the Ws in the finals, I'll be rooting for them. Got a feeling that LBJ does not have enough left in the tank and enough support, either in teammates or in his coach, to beat the Cs this year.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
[
and has now put together a team that are probably going to beat LBJ and can absolutely challenge the Ws ... I'm leaving stuff out here.
He's awesome. But you're not leaving stuff out here, you're actually getting way ahead of yourself.

If there was a chance to buy Celtics stock, I'd grab a bunch. But LeBron's still LeBron, and regular-season Dubs are about 70% as good as postseason Dubs.

Tranquillo, my friend.

Reaction Score
Guy took a franchise, in 04, that hadn't been relevant in over a decade, being generous, and won a title a few years later. Also went to the finals and lost (to Kobe), went to the East finals twice (and lost), and has now put together a team that are probably going to beat LBJ and can absolutely challenge the Ws and that will likely be good for quite a few years. I'm leaving stuff out here.
Guy is flat out a very good GM/Exec/Prez, whatever.
And I hated the 80s Celtics, still don't like the franchise, and never liked Ainge personally.
If/when they play the Ws in the finals, I'll be rooting for them. Got a feeling that LBJ does not have enough left in the tank and enough support, either in teammates or in his coach, to beat the Cs this year.
Ainge has done a great job but....

Likely beating the Cavs and can absolutely challenge the Warriors?

Slow your roll.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom