OT: 2017-2018 NBA Season Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: 2017-2018 NBA Season Thread

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
[
He's awesome. But you're not leaving stuff out here, you're actually getting way ahead of yourself.

If there was a chance to buy Celtics stock, I'd grab a bunch. But LeBron's still LeBron, and regular-season Dubs are about 70% as good as postseason Dubs.

Tranquillo, my friend.

Yeah...in the Finals? Warriors in 4 or 5. I'm not convinced this team, while fun to watch, will be LeBron in the Con Finals either. Outside shooting in big time games could be a problem.

They are a couple years a way I think.

Reaction Score
Ainge did great, but 18 games is a pretty small sample size. And don't look now, but the Cavs seem to have figured some stuff out (5 straight wins, 4 of them on the road) even with IT & Thompson still on the mend. And given the uncertainty of LeBron's future, it probably made a good amount of sense for Cleveland to try to bank a lottery pick.

I think this could end up being a trade that benefits both teams. Decent chance both GMs come out of this looking good.

The team that Ainge really dunked on is Philly with the 1-for-3 swap. Tatum's great.

The playoffs will just be that much better now that Cleveland Boston looks to be an all out war. I still would put money on LeBron but there will be no cakewalk this year.

How freaking good does Fultz need to be for Colangelo to save face. Top 10 player? Obviously does not look promising but I have never seen or heard of such a promising prospect Knoblauching himself.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
[
He's awesome. But you're not leaving stuff out here, you're actually getting way ahead of yourself.

If there was a chance to buy Celtics stock, I'd grab a bunch. But LeBron's still LeBron, and regular-season Dubs are about 70% as good as postseason Dubs.

Tranquillo, my friend.

A 16-game winning streak will lead to some irrational exuberance.

I for one am trying to temper my expectations and simply enjoy this season for what it is, a step. I think once Hayward is back we may likely be better than the Cavs (who knows how good Tatum and Brown will be next season). But of course the Warriors are still around. What's so great is that this team is built for the long haul. Apart from Horford, they're all young. That was a key reason for the IT/Kyrie trade, of course.

Reaction Score
As opposed to, you know, Yankee fans, who earned those 27 titles.

His point was stupid, I was just relaying it.

What. My point was that it sucks to see "the city of champions" re-load with a basketball team that could be really good for the next decade (a franchise that has already won 17 titles, mind you) when there are so many other fan bases out there that are less spoiled. It's a fairly non-controversial opinion that I'm surprised superjohn is objecting to given his history of feuding with Boston sports fans.

I also don't like this Celtics team. That doesn't mean the players on the team are bad people, but two of their five starters went to Duke, none of their players are from New England, and they traded a bunch of the guys I actually really liked this off-season. I get why Celtics fans are elated right now but from my end it's not what you want to see.

Reaction Score
They didn't stumble into it, to be fair. They made good signings, great trades, and hoarded assets. And they have a lot picks coming their way, too. Memphis is Top-8 protected next year, then Top-6, then unprotected in addition to the LAL/Sac pick.

The organization is one of the best run in the NBA from top to bottom. The Brooklyn trade was somewhat lucky in that Ainge exploited inept ownership/management, but you still have to give him a lot of credit for putting himself in the position to pull that off and then execute. Everything else tracks well, and a couple of the more transformative calls had to be made in the face of doubt - or in my case pure disagreement - from outsiders, many of whom were widely respected. The trade for Tatum took balls, the trade for Irving took balls, even the Jaylen Brown selection took balls.

None of these are finished narratives by any means, but to win 16 games in a row with virtually an entirely new roster, even with Hayward on the shelf and more picks to come, bodes awfully well. I, for one, am utterly shocked by this. I expected them to struggle a lot before Hayward went down. I thought Cleveland would run away with the East and that Boston could dip as low as six or seventh in the conference. Nope. Irving has made the leap people were banking on, the young guys are further along than people expected, and probably most importantly, Brad Stevens has continued to reveal himself as a damn genius.

It's too early for me to declare defeat on all of these things but at the same time it seems pretty likely that I am going to lose. The Bradley trade could come back to bite them, though in fairness there was no way to know Hayward was going to go down.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
What. My point was that it sucks to see "the city of champions" re-load with a basketball team that could be really good for the next decade (a franchise that has already won 17 titles, mind you) when there are so many other fan bases out there that are less spoiled. It's a fairly non-controversial opinion that I'm surprised superjohn is objecting to given his history of feuding with Boston sports fans.

I also don't like this Celtics team. That doesn't mean the players on the team are bad people, but two of their five starters went to Duke, none of their players are from New England, and they traded a bunch of the guys I actually really liked this off-season. I get why Celtics fans are elated right now but from my end it's not what you want to see.

Your first reason why you don’t like them is a good reason to think they are bad people. ;)

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The organization is one of the best run in the NBA from top to bottom. The Brooklyn trade was somewhat lucky in that Ainge exploited inept ownership/management, but you still have to give him a lot of credit for putting himself in the position to pull that off and then execute. Everything else tracks well, and a couple of the more transformative calls had to be made in the face of doubt - or in my case pure disagreement - from outsiders, many of whom were widely respected. The trade for Tatum took balls, the trade for Irving took balls, even the Jaylen Brown selection took balls.

None of these are finished narratives by any means, but to win 16 games in a row with virtually an entirely new roster, even with Hayward on the shelf and more picks to come, bodes awfully well. I, for one, am utterly shocked by this. I expected them to struggle a lot before Hayward went down. I thought Cleveland would run away with the East and that Boston could dip as low as six or seventh in the conference. Nope. Irving has made the leap people were banking on, the young guys are further along than people expected, and probably most importantly, Brad Stevens has continued to reveal himself as a damn genius.

It's too early for me to declare defeat on all of these things but at the same time it seems pretty likely that I am going to lose. The Bradley trade could come back to bite them, though in fairness there was no way to know Hayward was going to go down.

Also in Danny’s defense, the Cap went down 2 mil less than expected, which forced them to make the deal.

Reaction Score
The predictable LaVar Ball-Lakers war is coming
It took less than five weeks into Lonzo Ball’s rookie season for LaVar Ball to blame the Lakers’ coaching staff for not translating his son’s talent into production. Naturally, the basketball dad pumped himself up as the man for the job.

“They’re soft. They don’t know how to coach my son,” LaVar Ball said of the Lakers staff in a recent interview with Bleacher Report. “I know how to coach him. I tell him to go get the victory. Stop messing around.”

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
“They’re soft. They don’t know how to coach my son,” LaVar Ball said of the Lakers staff in a recent interview with Bleacher Report. “I know how to coach him. I tell him to go get the victory. Stop messing around.”

I'm pretty sure I could coach Lonzo too.

Reaction Score

Teams like the Celtics, Lakers, and Yankees are always going to win championships. They are well run, cash cows, and will always attract the top players and coaches. The fans have nothing to do with them winning.

I've never had a problem with the Celtics and don't mind their fans. I don't mind Celtics or Red Sox fans because they were always around, I remember growing up with them. Well, I don't like the pink hats and the ones who don't seem to know their place in the pecking order but that's a small percentage of them. Patriots fans are the ones I have a problem with, in my experience they never existed when I was growing up in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Teams like the Celtics, Lakers, and Yankees are always going to win championships. They are well run, cash cows, and will always attract the top players and coaches. The fans have nothing to do with them winning.

I've never had a problem with the Celtics and don't mind their fans. I don't mind Celtics or Red Sox fans because they were always around, I remember growing up with them. Well, I don't like the pink hats and the ones who don't seem to know their place in the pecking order but that's a small percentage of them. Patriots fans are the ones I have a problem with, in my experience they never existed when I was growing up in Connecticut.

Has there ever been a thread referencing a Boston sports team where you didn't point out that Boston is the most racist place in America?

Reaction Score

The Celts have always been my favorite of the four Boston sports teams, which is why it hurts that I can't bring myself to root for them this year. Kyrie is just one of those guys I have rooted against since he came into the league, so when he walked in the door alongside Tatum, and Isiah, Bradley, and Crowder were shipped away, my allegiances changed. I actually think Kyrie is really likable overall, but it's too late to reconfigure my brain at this stage.

Aside from maybe being a bit more passionate because of the climate, I don't think Boston fans are any different than any other fan base. They've just won a lot and they live near me, which is a tough combination to endure for almost two decades without any sign of change. They used to be so much more endearing, I tell you. It's also a pro sports dominant town, which I resent them for. I clearly have identity problems.

Reaction Score
Okay seriously what is up with these warm-up jumpsuits they got going on, with these tiny hoods making Kevin Durant look like a 6’10 condom

Reaction Score
Maybe it is the Cuse hate in me but I don't get Clifford's love affair with Michael Carter-Williams. He's essentially put Monk on ice to give him all of the minutes.

Reaction Score
Maybe it is the Cuse hate in me but I don't get Clifford's love affair with Michael Carter-Williams. He's essentially put Monk on ice to give him all of the minutes.

Its not the Cuse hate. MCW was one of the worst players in the entire league last year. Clifford has a good reputation but I know that several of us have been confounded by his rotations for several years.

Reaction Score
What's up with Curry? Dude is shooting .382 from 3, good for 68th in the NBA. Does he have any nagging injuries? Is it a KD effect? Whole not equal to sum of parts?

Reaction Score
What's up with Curry? Dude is shooting .382 from 3, good for 68th in the NBA. Does he have any nagging injuries? Is it a KD effect? Whole not equal to sum of parts?

The NBA defense is catching up to offense. Teams are prioritizing rangy defenders who can cover the 3. They're soending more and more time doubling ball handlers on the warriors and zoning up underneath.

I woudlnt be surprised if injury played a role at all though. He's diminutive. I still cant fathom how he does what he does.

Reaction Score
The NBA defense is catching up to offense. Teams are prioritizing rangy defenders who can cover the 3. They're soending more and more time doubling ball handlers on the warriors and zoning up underneath.

I woudlnt be surprised if injury played a role at all though. He's diminutive. I still cant fathom how he does what he does.
Good thoughts! Thanks.
I'm just surprised. The guy was inhuman for a couple of seasons there.

Reaction Score

Some of it has to be related to the Warriors not being fully invested in the season just yet. You watch Houston play and no one seems to be catching up to the way they play offense. It's crazy to watch them play really.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom