OT: 2 More Nights Of Letterman | The Boneyard

OT: 2 More Nights Of Letterman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Wednesday night is Letterman's last night on the air. The past couple of weeks have some good nights with Ray Romano having an emotional"see ya" and Norm McDonald having a funny stand-up and saying how much he loves Dave.

Tonight Tom Hanks killed it with an amphetamine-fueld guest spot with Eddie Vedder singing the show off air with "Better Man".

Tomorrow, will be Bill Murray, Daves first guest ever as Late Show host.

No advertised guests for Wednesday. Hoping to see old faves Richard Lewis, Chris Elliot (tho he was on a few weeks ago) and perhaps the rotting corpse of Brother Theodore.

Check it out...

hqdefault.jpg

Dave's Last Stand

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I haven't been watching for awhile... kinda gave up late night talk. But used to love Dave so I'll try to tune in. Any possibility of a Drew Barrymore lap dance?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bob Dylan and Bill Murray tonight.

Reaction Score
He and Drew Barrymore must of had a falling out, because she hasn't been on for years.

Regis has to make an appearance.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hot start tonight...

Regis interrupted the monologue. First guest was Rupert G, owner and operator of Hello Deli. Did a compilation of some of his past bits.

Bill Murray was introduced and came out of a cake. Covered with cake he hugs Dave and high fives a bunch of people...caking them up...

Reaction Score
Bummed...got a call from the show on Thursday since I had entered for tickets. Received 2 for either Mon or Tues's show, but couldn't make it up from DC. Wouldn't let me even transfer them to a friend!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So, I think Dylan sang "On A Night Like This" to end the show. Overall a great show.

One more.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Fell asleep after Murray's first segment. I'd forgotten Dave used Rupert G outside of the deli for those pranks... that was some great comedy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, I think Dylan sang "On A Night Like This" to end the show. Overall a great show.

One more.
I was "The Night We Called It A Day," a cover song from his latest album, which is comprised of covers made famous by Sinatra:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks. Could barely get the lyrics so took a shot.

Reaction Score
Fell asleep after Murray's first segment. I'd forgotten Dave used Rupert G outside of the deli for those pranks... that was some great comedy.

The Rupert G pranks reel was hilarious last night. Can't wait for tonight's show. Should be a great one

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I bet you preferred Leno too.

Odd thing is, Leno was a great stand-up comic. Not a terrific host.

For all of Dave's greatness in his first 20 years, probably the best thing he did in this century, IMO, was bring us Craig Ferguson.

Reaction Score
For all of Dave's greatness in his first 20 years, probably the best thing he did in this century, IMO, was bring us Craig Ferguson.

I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I would imagine that Letterman's impact on a generation of comics, writers, etc. might be more valued than the introduction of Craig Ferguson (who is an incredibly nice and decent guy) to the world.

Edit: you said this century. I'm a dope.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Meh. Never liked him. Thought he was a and too political. Fallon is truly exceptional, in my opinion.

Agree 100% on Letterman, but don't like Fallon either. I've actually never liked any of the late night talk show guys (other than Carson), I guess it's just not my genre.

Reaction Score
Letterman was great for a long time and was influential but his show has been stale for years, good time for him to retire. I don't watch too many of the late night shows anymore but Conan has been the funniest for a while IMO, Johnny Carson will always be the king though.

Reaction Score
Social media and YouTube and veering off the "big 3" networks type of broadcasting has killed the late night talk show. Carson was Carson because there was nothing else challenging him. A big part of Letterman's following were kids who stayed up late watching Carson when they were young.

The younger generations have no interest in watching an interview with Jack Hanna as a lemur makes a funny face at the shows host. There are 800 other channels to flip through....plus Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tinder, YouTube, etc, etc to keep them occupied.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Letterman's sarcastic and offbeat edge was the attraction for me. He lost that edge a while ago imo, but there is no question that he was the only one I watched regularly throughout college and beyond. Carson was the best, but he had lost his edge by that time. It happens.

Letterman modeled himself on Carson's style, and by all accounts both were complicated guys, especially offstage. Blazingly smart, wickedly funny, incredibly engaging, but also apparently a dark and private side to each, too.

Leno was always milquetoast and boring by comparison imo, but I agree that he was a good stand-up comedian before that.

Fallon is an entirely different model. As a talk show host, I think he's about as uninteresting and milquetoast as Leno. He's offensively inoffensive to me, nothing but a fanboy and chucklepatch for his guests. I was tired of his constant "you're so great" parentheticals within a month--it's like breathing for him. I never thought he was a great comic on SNL, either: his greatest contribution was usually his infamous inability to keep from laughing hysterically during skits--exactly what a great comic shouldn't do.

But--and this is a big but--Fallon is an exceptional and talented entertainer and performer, especially when music in involved. He knows and appreciates a ton about all types of music, and he can perform a lot of styles and imitate a lot of performers with pretty incredible facility and ease. The stuff he has done with Timberlake and Springsteen is amazing, and his Bruce, Neil Young and other impressions are as well. And The Roots are a pretty incredible house band. But even having President Obama slow jam the news was genius.

Which makes me also think of Paul Shaffer and what he has brought to Dave's show. His subtle musical commentary was something for which I always enjoyed listening. There was almost always a message or inside joke in his song selection, be it for the music played while a guest was entering, or when they go to break. He's a great musical director, as well.

In any event, I'm sorry to see Dave go because it is the end of an era, but it is time. And I am really looking forward to seeing what Colbert does with the slot. I have a very good feeling about him. I think he will have an edge, and I don't think he will be milquetoast.

Reaction Score
Well stated, especially the point about Paul Shaffer. He was responsible for great musical contributions to the early years of SNL and decades of Letterman. A really special, talented guy.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I still like Letterman best of the talk show hosts. Sarcastic, bright & funny. I think much more cutting than Carson, he changed the format with his "it's only TV" approach and deflating egos like Cher and O'Reilly.

I agree that Fallon wasn't the best skit guy on SNL. But he is a great skit guy on the Tonight Show. Not much of an interviewer but a good entertainer.

With Stewart & Letterman gone, the late night IQ will drop about 50 points. Don't know Colbert will play his new job, but I'm counting on him to keep me sane after a crazy day,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom