OT: 2 More Nights Of Letterman | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 2 More Nights Of Letterman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was a big watcher of Letterman up until he got too weird for me He started wearing these tiny glasses and did a bug-eye face to the camera every night. Just weird. Plus the continuously lame monologue jokes that the audience was urged to applaud via Applause light.

I switched to Conan. But haven't watched much late night since the Leno-Conan War.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was a big watcher of Letterman up until he got too weird for me He started wearing these tiny glasses and did a bug-eye face to the camera every night. Just weird. Plus the continuously lame monologue jokes that the audience was urged to applaud via Applause light.

I switched to Conan. But haven't watched much late night since the Leno-Conan War.

Dave told me he was trying to shake you off his bandwagon. Once you were gone he stopped making those faces.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I always thought Letterman was the best of the late night hosts. And then Craig Ferguson came along and I thought he was the best. And then he left, so I thought Letterman was the best.

Never saw much of Leno, but I do like him - the car show he does on the internet or wherever is plenty entertaining in its way.

Kimmel is funny, Conan is funny....Fallon is what happens when vanilla pudding becomes sentient.

If anyone is DVR'ing the Letterman show, expect it to run 20 minutes long.

Reaction Score
Thought it was interesting Dave said recently that CBS should have fired him over the affair extortion drama, pretty candid interview. Letterman is extremeley talented and a strange dude, like many really talented comedians and creative types he never seemed comfortable with himself. Hopefully in retirement he will have some fun raising his kid and spending all of that money.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Foo Fighters playing tonight.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Maybe it's because when I was growing up the TV in my bedroom only got CBS on the rabbit ears, but for me late night tv will always equal David Letterman. I will miss him.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yeah, Top Ten was great. Everything else so far a big swing and a miss.

Reaction Score
The "kids love me" segment was hilarious, had me rolling. "She already left, Chief!"

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The Top Ten list was worth the price of admission. What a collection of talent. Loved the lines from Julia, Chris and Tina the most.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I feel asleep. Again. Need to watch it on DVR tonight.

As for the rest of the late night guys, I liked Craig Ferguson, too. I was shocked when I learned that was sober (recovering alcoholic) for the entire time I'd been watching him. I thought he was hammered the whole time. Very funny, smart and thoughtful guy.

I agree that Conan and Kimmel are funny, too, although I haven't watched Conan since the Tonight Show debacle. I forget when he's on, and TBS isn't in my usual rotation so I don't stumble upon him, either.

I haven't warmed to Seth Meyers at all. Apparently a very good writer, and I liked him on Weekend Update on SNL, but he's been borderline cringe-worthy when I've seen his late night show.

Reaction Score
I miss Johnny Carson but Letterman was really good. Ferguson WAY underrated, real naturally funny dude. The rest, ehh, take them or leave them. Kimmel to me has very little going.

Reaction Score
Johnny was the king, Letterman a great prince exactly as 8893 outlined it.

I think my late-night watching career is on hiatus for a while, but I like Kimmel the best currently even though more likely to watch Fallon as he tends to get event worthy guest bits (aforementioned Timberlake). Either way its 90% youtube clips vs live-watch.

Even in his heyday Letterman was never built for clip viewing. You had to be up late and a bit punchy to really appreciate the rhythm of his show when it was humming. Besides the weird personal stuff, only critique is everyone but Letterman himself waved goodbye and gave him a free pass for mailing it in and somehow losing to Leno for 10-ish years. Vintage Dave never would have stood for that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Johnny was the king, Letterman a great prince exactly as 8893 outlined it.

I think my late-night watching career is on hiatus for a while, but I like Kimmel the best currently even though more likely to watch Fallon as he tends to get event worthy guest bits (aforementioned Timberlake). Either way its 90% youtube clips vs live-watch.

Even in his heyday Letterman was never built for clip viewing. You had to be up late and a bit punchy to really appreciate the rhythm of his show when it was humming. Besides the weird personal stuff, only critique is everyone but Letterman himself waved goodbye and gave him a free pass for mailing it in and somehow losing to Leno for 10-ish years. Vintage Dave never would have stood for that.
I think a few things softened and humbled him over the the past decade or so, including the birth of his son, his quintuple bypass, the blackmail/affair scandal and his marriage. He seems to be ready to enjoy his life off-camera now.

Reaction Score
Kind of dissed the Foo Fighters clipping over them the whole song, no? Prob my fave Foo song.

Reaction Score
Seth Meyers is one of the least funny entertainers I've ever seen, I'll never understand his appeal. What on earth happened to Craig Kilborn?

Reaction Score
Kind of dissed the Foo Fighters clipping over them the whole song, no? Prob my fave Foo song.
How dare they show fantastically great pictures & clips from a 6,000+ show run for one of the two greatest late night shows of all-time instead of letting us watch a former drummer turned vocalist and guitarist play the best song from the second best band he's ever been in!

Do you think the song might get played a bit more while people watch the clips? It is a huge win for all things battling foo.

Reaction Score
How dare they show fantastically great pictures & clips from a 6,000+ show run for one of the two greatest late night shows of all-time instead of letting us watch a former drummer turned vocalist and guitarist play the best song from the second best band he's ever been in!

Do you think the song might get played a bit more while people watch the clips? It is a huge win for all things battling foo.
Foo Fighters>Nirvana

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
True Story: So I'm walking from work to meet the frau in front of the hospital (NYP). She comes up to me sort of excited and says there's someone at the entrance and everyone is asking him for autographs. "I think it's Larry King" she says. So I walk with her a bit further and it was David Letterman. I wanted to go up to him and tell him the story but didn't have the heart to embarrass her. In her defense, she's Italian and a scientist, so watching TV is the least of her activities. She wouldn't know Jay Leno form Michael Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom