Ossining [Saniya] versus Cicero [Breanna] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ossining [Saniya] versus Cicero [Breanna]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Carnegie Mellon is a super school with some great programs. Our nephew went there and then worked for Lockheed Martin after graduation. He helped to start the schools Steel Drum Band while he was there, too.

Lehigh is, also, exceptional. I have a husband and wife at church who are Lehigh grads, he in electrical engineering and she in pure math as Lehigh designated it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aeronautical is a niche I would think. Off the top of my head, Purdue has a good rep for it.
Purdue is a good choice too. For aeronautical, Cal Tech is great--but too far.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My son can do better than Clarkson, which would be a safety school. His guidance counselor gave us a list of colleges sorted into these categories and suggested he stick to the top two categories with one safety school (FIT). The bolded schools are my son's interests:

Most Competitive - Ivies, Duke, MIT, ND, RPI, Stanford, et al
Highly Competitive - Cal Poly, Clemson, Northeastern, Ohio State, St. John's, UConn, WPI, et al. Oddly, Cornell is on this list
Very Competitive - Clarkson, FIT, Auburn, Brigham Young, Hofstra, et al
Competitive - CCSU, SCSU, et al
Less Competitive - DeVry, Univ Bridgeport, Western KY, et al
Noncompeititive - Cleveland State, Grambling State, Univ Alaska-Anchorage, et al

As for the odd part, the list was provided by a Guidance Counselor, duh.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He photocopied pages from the College Admissions Selector book. The categories are based on the admissions information provided by the colleges themselves and relect the percentage of applicants admitted. For example, only 9.7% of applicants get into MIT, making it Most Selective.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He photocopied pages from the College Admissions Selector book. The categories are based on the admissions information provided by the colleges themselves and relect the percentage of applicants admitted. For example, only 9.7% of applicants get into MIT, making it Most Selective.

Cornell has an Ag School (started as a land grant college) and another "state" type college (mind blanking on it at the moment) and if they are in that statistical base it would be skewed. If it is just engineering schools in the stat base, then I find that odd as well.

Reaction Score
Saniya Chong will be in this week's SI in their Faces in the Crowd section.

Reaction Score
Yes, Rice is too far. His preliminary list is MIT, WPI, Brown, UConn, RPI, Northeastern and FIT (Florida Institute for Technology. For the beach, I think).
I know of a very good school down south, not as far as FIT. Engineering program ranked in the to 5 for undergraduate degrees, top 4 for graduate. You might have heard of it...Georgia Tech?

Reaction Score
Saniya Chong will be in the 3/13 issue of Sports Illustrated's Faces in the Crowd feature. Just wanted to pass this along.

Reaction Score
Cornell has an Ag School (started as a land grant college) and another "state" type college (mind blanking on it at the moment) and if they are in that statistical base it would be skewed. If it is just engineering schools in the stat base, then I find that odd as well.

What, exactly, do you find odd about Cornell's being listed as "Highly Competitive" in Engineering? Do you know where the first School of Electrical Engineering in the world was founded? And it wasn't MIT.

Reaction Score

In 1952 my older brother was told by his Counselor at the University of Cincinnati that he should stay with Mechanical Engineering because the Korean War would soon be over and nobody would be hiring aeronautical engineers after that.

So much for the merit of Guidance Counselors' advice.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
direction.gif

Reaction Score
In 1952 my older brother was told by his Counselor at the University of Cincinnati that he should stay with Mechanical Engineering because the Korean War would soon be over and nobody would be hiring aeronautical engineers after that.

In a Sociology class in early '80s, an article about career choices said software engineering was a dead end job because all the code had already been written. It just needed to be modularized and re-used for new tasks. I laughed then, but it's simply ludicrous now.

Reaction Score
Sure could have been. I was flipping through channels and it showed up. I had tried installing Roku, and trying to fix everything afterward. ;^) I had a 3-to-1 hdmi pigtail that was supposed to autoswitch, and it didn't. Took a while to get all the cables straight.

WOW! The HDMI signal bounced around your cabling for a week before if finally reached your TV screen? Amazing!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
My son can do better than Clarkson, which would be a safety school. His guidance counselor gave us a list of colleges sorted into these categories and suggested he stick to the top two categories with one safety school (FIT). The bolded schools are my son's interests:

Most Competitive - Ivies, Duke, MIT, ND, RPI, Stanford, et al
Highly Competitive - Cal Poly, Clemson, Northeastern, Ohio State, St. John's, UConn, WPI, et al. Oddly, Cornell is on this list
Very Competitive - Clarkson, FIT, Auburn, Brigham Young, Hofstra, et al
Competitive - CCSU, SCSU, et al
Less Competitive - DeVry, Univ Bridgeport, Western KY, et al
Noncompeititive - Cleveland State, Grambling State, Univ Alaska-Anchorage, et al

Take ND and RPI off the MC list...add Cornell. Who made this list up?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I have a large house.
There's your problem. The max run length for HDMI is something less than 50 ft. Your HDMI signal got beyond the spec and got lost!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Take ND and RPI off the MC list...add Cornell. Who made this list up?
I believe Cornell is already there unless they have been thrown out of the Ivies.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I believe Cornell is already there unless they have been thrown out of the Ivies.

hahaha...indeed Ice.

Brown, BTW, is an excellent choice Nan. He would graduate with fine writing skills and a substantial background in materials, composites, and fracture mechanics.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What, exactly, do you find odd about Cornell's being listed as "Highly Competitive" in Engineering? Do you know where the first School of Electrical Engineering in the world was founded? And it wasn't MIT.

I went to Cornell A & S undergrad and I found it odd that it was not on the highest rung of that ladder.:confused:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

As a 7th grader I was told by a Guidance Counselor that I had no mathematical ability and should stay out of the sciences period. At the end of my college freshman year I was heavily recruited by the Chairman of the mathematics department (but had the good sense to decline:)).

Reaction Score
Admission to Cornell is by school. Engineering and A&S are extremely competitive. Some of the others are not quite as competitive but it's still an uphill battle for even strong students to be admitted. Cornell gets teased by its Ivy peers (some of whom question whether Cornell is truly a peer) because of the ag school, but it also has some excellent programs.

As a graduate of RPI and Cornell, I can say that he would get an excellent engineering education at both (as well as MIT, WPI, etc.). RPI's admit rate has declined tremendously in recent years (i.e. perceived as increasing selectivity) as they've expanded the offerings outside the core engineering programs (thus adding more women and non-engineering majors), but it still probably fits in the highly selective category more than most selective. On a pure selectivity basis I would probably agree with swapping RPI and Cornell on your lists.

One other observation: many people equate admit rate with selectivity, but it is often not the best metric to use for engineering schools when compared with broader universities that appear more selective. There is a significant self-selection effect. High school kids don't lob in applications to a WPI or RPI on a lark, they generally have a strong inclination toward math and science and excellent qualifications. So even though you may see admit rates on the order of 50+% for WPI or 40+% for RPI or Northeastern, they are from very high quality applicant pools as measured by other common metrics such as GPA, test scores, etc. WPI might be the most extreme example because it is a small, almost exclusively engineering/hard sciences school so its admissions rate when looked at in isolation is a highly misleading indicator of its competitiveness.

P.S. Getting back to some link to the thread topic, however, distant, Hudson Valley Community College is located about 5 miles from the RPI campus so you could take a tour, go to Dinosaur BBQ for dinner and still make it to the game with plenty of time to spare.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"One other observation: many people equate admit rate with selectivity, but it is often not the best metric to use for engineering schools when compared with broader universities that appear more selective. There is a significant self-selection effect. High school kids don't lob in applications to a WPI or RPI on a lark, they generally have a strong inclination toward math and science and excellent qualifications. So even though you may see admit rates on the order of 50+% for WPI or 40+% for RPI or Northeastern, they are from very high quality applicant pools as measured by other common metrics such as GPA, test scores, etc. WPI might be the most extreme example because it is a small, almost exclusively engineering/hard sciences school so its admissions rate when looked at in isolation is a highly misleading indicator of its competitiveness."

Very good point ... application/admission stats just a gross metric, albeit useful info.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
The competiton for admits to Ivies, MIT, Duke, Stanford---off the chart. More difficult than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom