Options available for the PAC-12 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Options available for the PAC-12

Reaction Score
They’re both on CBS Sports. I am in SC and was able to watch all the games last year. I’d imagine you’d be able to watch wherever you are.

Thanks...I am in western North Carolina...channel 221 on DTV

Reaction Score
Thanks...I am in western North Carolina...channel 221 on DTV
I hope they are entertaining games that are worth the watch for you. I also hope the ratings are high, so thank you for your participation.

Reaction Score
This is also why UCONN would be a good addition for the ACC. It might help revitalize Syracuse and BC in football and basketball.
I dig ya, but "revitalizing BC basketball" doesn't exist. Pitt and SU maybe. Football of course. None of them even make a blip in basketball anymore. Not even a ripple from an ant pissing in a puddle.

It still blows my mind. Sure, we got screwed by CR over and over again. But Universities like Stanford, Cal, Washington, Arizona, Kansas, and Georgia Tach, UNC, UVA imprisoned in the ACC. Some will get the lifeline but the fact that they are AAU, good athletics and stuck blowing in the wind with no idea if they will make the cut is so bizarre. Good. I also believe the PAC survives in some form if the likes of Stanford and Cal don't go B1G because there is no way they go slumming with the Big 12. PAC could invite Kansas for its academics but after that there is zippo in the Big 12 that the PAC would want. Maybe go for Tulane for academics. For academics and football, there are no programs which bring the goods other than non-AAU privates like Baylor and BYU.

The PAC really got the shiv. The SEC is the only conference the B1G hasn't been able to shiv.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I dig ya, but "revitalizing BC basketball" doesn't exist. Pitt and SU maybe. Football of course. None of them even make a blip in basketball anymore. Not even a ripple from an ant pissing in a puddle.

It still blows my mind. Sure, we got screwed by CR over and over again. But Universities like Stanford, Cal, Washington, Arizona, Kansas, and Georgia Tach, UNC, UVA imprisoned in the ACC. Some will get the lifeline but the fact that they are AAU, good athletics and stuck blowing in the wind with no idea if they will make the cut is so bizarre. Good. I also believe the PAC survives in some form if the likes of Stanford and Cal don't go B1G because there is no way they go slumming with the Big 12. PAC could invite Kansas for its academics but after that there is zippo in the Big 12 that the PAC would want. Maybe go for Tulane for academics. For academics and football, there are no programs which bring the goods other than non-AAU privates like Baylor and BYU.

The PAC really got the shiv. The SEC is the only conference the B1G hasn't been able to shiv.

We don't know that anyone is trapped or got the shiv. Some schools will generate more revenue in the short term, but there is a lot of money to go around in a streaming world, especially as ESPNPlus gets unbundled from Hulu and Disneyplus. The competition between ESPN, Fox, Paramount/CBS and Peacock/NBC should get fierce, and if Amazon decides they want in, then all bets are off.

ESPN is going to have a tough time unbundling unless they get a dominant position in college sports. They are not going to sell a lot of $9.99/month subscriptions for two regional conferences in the ACC and SEC. I think ESPN is going to make a hard run at the Big East in the next contract, and will pay the Pac 12 and Big 12 decent money.

I don't think the Big 10's and SEC's power play is going to work, which is why I don't get why they added USC, UCLA, Texas and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score

anything is possible. If Providence can be revitalized by Cooley after being down for many years so can BC.

Reaction Score
anything is possible. If Providence can be revitalized by Cooley after being down for many years so can BC.
PC has a lot more basketball tradition than BC. And they command the attention of their city in a way that BC does not

Reaction Score
Providence is a little smaller in population than Worchester....penetration is probably a little easier than Boston.

Problem with Boston is it is a pro sports town...they love their Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots.

Reaction Score
More trial ballons on demise of PAC-12:

-> Industry sources tell CBS Sports that Cal, Oregon, Stanford and Washington would not bring requisite value as the 16 teams that will make up the league in 2024 with USC and UCLA in the fold. That could lead to the four programs taking substantially less revenue than existing members just to have long-term security in the Big Ten.

The revenue cut taken by Cal, Oregon, Stanford and Washington in joining the Big Ten -- compared to other conference members -- would need to be "significant," industry sources say. That would present a headache to rightsholders trying to restructure a deal already in place.

However, the revenue those four teams could receive would still likely be far higher than the combined value of the 10 remaining Pac-12 schools together. That number is estimated as $21 million to $30 million per school annually.

Still, rightsholders who land portions of the lucrative Big Ten deal (still being negotiated) would be forced to outlay additional funds for those schools. The Big Ten's contract is already projected to be north of $1 billion annually. <-

Reaction Score

-> Industry sources tell CBS Sports that Cal, Oregon, Stanford and Washington would not bring requisite value as the 16 teams that will make up the league in 2024 with USC and UCLA in the fold. That could lead to the four programs taking substantially less revenue than existing members just to have long-term security in the Big Ten.

The revenue cut taken by Cal, Oregon, Stanford and Washington in joining the Big Ten -- compared to other conference members -- would need to be "significant," industry sources say. That would present a headache to rightsholders trying to restructure a deal already in place.

However, the revenue those four teams could receive would still likely be far higher than the combined value of the 10 remaining Pac-12 schools together. That number is estimated as $21 million to $30 million per school annually.

Still, rightsholders who land portions of the lucrative Big Ten deal (still being negotiated) would be forced to outlay additional funds for those schools. The Big Ten's contract is already projected to be north of $1 billion annually. <-

This was always the end game. By taking Cal, B1G will get governor Newsome off UCLA's back. It will lock up NorCal, and add two states in Oregon and Washington. It will destroy the PAC-12, but B1G doesn't care about that.

With this move, Arizona, ASU, Utah, and Colorado will end up in the B12. Oregon State and Washington State will end up in the MWC. The PAC-12 will be no more.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Funny that “industry sources” said something similar about the remaining Big East schools in 2003 after Miami, Virginia Tech and BCU announced they were leaving, yet now all the remaining Big East schools from 2003 are in major conferences except Temple. On top of that, Cincinnati, Louisville, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Creighton, and Xavier are also in major conferences.

I wish the media would stop acting as the propaganda arms of the Big 10, SEC and ESPN.

Reaction Score
Providence is a little smaller in population than Worchester....penetration is probably a little easier than Boston.

Problem with Boston is it is a pro sports town...they love their Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots.

Completely irrelevant. The city of Providence didn't revitalize the Providence basketball program, Cooley did. Point being Providence found a good coach and he turned them around.

Are you telling me if Cooley or Hurley went to BC they wouldn't be able to help them because of pro sports? I have a hard time believing that. Any program in a P5 or Big East conference can be turned around if they find a good coach.

UCLA never struggled because of the Lakers. Miami is a pro sports town, somehow Larranaga is successful there. Sampson is doing well in Houston. I'm sure there are many examples of college coaches succeeding in pro sports towns.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Providence is OK...but it has been 27 years since the Friars have beaten a current P5 team in the NCAA tournament.

Sure, they made the Sweet 16 in 2021-22 playing South Dakota State and Richmond.

Maybe I'll buy that they are revitalized when they play teams that I know in the tournament.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If true, PAC-12 is in trouble.

Not necessarily. If ND stays independent, the Pac-12 still has the upper hand. The Big 12 will end up with a deal in the 20-25 million dollar range (not first offer which will likely be even lower than that).

Reaction Score
If true, PAC-12 is in trouble.
There in an exclusive window where ESPN is the only bidder. You're not going to get your best possible offer there when ESPN is in effect bidding against itself and doesn't have clarity on any bigger (and more costly) opportunities (i.e. can they get a piece of the Big Ten deal).

Reaction Score
There in an exclusive window where ESPN is the only bidder. You're not going to get your best possible offer there when ESPN is in effect bidding against itself and doesn't have clarity on any bigger (and more costly) opportunities (i.e. can they get a piece of the Big Ten deal).
This is what the Big East thought when they rejected ESPN. ESPN then went and funded the ACC’s destruction of the Big East. You are not wrong, but the powers that be don’t like being turned down. The PAC12 is in trouble.

Reaction Score
Providence is OK...but it has been 27 years since the Friars have beaten a current P5 team in the NCAA tournament.

Sure, they made the Sweet 16 in 2021-22 playing South Dakota State and Richmond.

Maybe I'll buy that they are revitalized when they play teams that I know in the tournament.
No true. PC beat #8 USC in 2016. And let’s not forget that the reason that they faced Richmond this year is because UR had upset 5-seed Iowa, a P5 school. You don’t get to pick who you play in the tournament. You can only beat who’s in front of you.

As for Cooley revitalizing their program, you can’t measure that simply by tournament wins. When he took them to the tournament in 2014, it was their first tournament appearance in 10 years. Starting with that season, he has taken them to 6 of the past 8 tournaments. I’d call that revitalizing a program which had become dormant.

In addition, Cooley got them a Big East tournament championship in 2014, something which they had done only once before in school history and led them to a Big East regular season championship this year, something which they had never done before. If you can’t see that he has revitalized this program, I don’t know what you’re looking at.

Reaction Score
No true. PC beat #8 USC in 2016. And let’s not forget that the reason that they faced Richmond this year is because UR had upset 5-seed Iowa, a P5 school. You don’t get to pick who you play in the tournament. You can only beat who’s in front of you.

As for Cooley revitalizing their program, you can’t measure that simply by tournament wins. When he took them to the tournament in 2014, it was their first tournament appearance in 10 years. Starting with that season, he has taken them to 6 of the past 8 tournaments. I’d call that revitalizing a program which had become dormant.

In addition, Cooley got them a Big East tournament championship in 2014, something which they had done only once before in school history and led them to a Big East regular season championship this year, something which they had never done before. If you can’t see that he has revitalized this program, I don’t know what you’re looking at.

P:rovidence lost to USC in the NCAA's on March 15, 2017. I missed the one win over a current P5 team...USC 70-69 1st round, March 17, 2016.

Providence had the misfortune of being matched with the eventual runner-up UNC in the 2nd.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
This is what the Big East thought when they rejected ESPN. ESPN then went and funded the ACC’s destruction of the Big East. You are not wrong, but the powers that be don’t like being turned down. The PAC12 is in trouble.
ESPN lowballed the Big East too.

Reaction Score
PAC-12 Media Day
:D
:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members