Open Practice Tuesday | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Open Practice Tuesday

Reaction Score
A.K.A Gossip, heresay, or rumors.

So at this point anyone who says or hears anything negative about Ollie even if it be from the guy bagging groceries should be posted in the Boneyard as long as it is to keep up the negative agenda??

So anyone can say the heard chatter about the coach? Or is it only if it smears Ollie ?

Don’t make statements about a man regarding his being at practice online for the world to see unless you know it for fact.. Regardless if he is a terrible coach or not..

You need to get your car washed more often Captblue;) lol

Reaction Score
Have you ever played D1 sports? Ever coach D1 sports?
Head coaches, for the most part, come and go during practice because they have a ton of other things on their plates. This isn't high school sports.
Quite a few sit and observe while their assistants and guest coaches run practices. That's why they have these coaches.
The individual coaches are assigned to specific drills and these practices are filmed, the HC and coaches go over the film as a whole and look at players and critique each breakdown unit.
Listen, we all know that you want KO gone Mick but this attempt at cutting him is mind blowing.
Some roll-up their sleeves more than others, and most are actively watching and correcting. Most importantly they are setting the emphasis on areas of execution and focus for game prep, and setting the standard of excellence in practice. You can't learn anything by watching unless you went to a month's worth of practices to figure out how much is specific game prep versus how much is solid individual and team fundamentals focused. From my eye, they could use a lot of fundamental work and go pretty darn light on individual game prep because they can't execute.

Frankly, this is a bit of damage control PR..see how inspired and engaged KO is .. it can't be bad coaching . But, the game performances don't lie.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good Lord what an awful thread. Just a bunch of monkeys flinging poo at each other.

I am sure he coaches them. I suspect he puts forth a legitimate effort. I wouldn't be shocked if that effort is not quite what it was 4-5 years ago. My main concern is that he has not instilled systems that can or will be successful, and that he does not prepare adequately to defeat specific opponents in particular ways. You can teach the wrong things with great gusto.

Reaction Score
Ok I'm taking the bait and risking violating my status as a casual fan by overstepping. There are a few open practices throughout the year every year. This isn't a PR stunt because of a losing season. They are invite only based on donor level/season ticket holder status. These are real practices with a handful of spectators and can happen in Werth or Gampel. There are also occasionally open practices like they had for the students which are basically an open gym and a glorified version of first night.

For those looking for a profound reason this program has collapsed, there will be virtually nothing to report from practice. A UCONN practice is comparable to every other basketball practice I have ever seen from high school to college. They do the same drills and work on the same things and stop practice and drills at teachable moments like all coaches. To paraphrase Chief, this game is not that complicated. There are only a finite number of things you can do at practice. If anything is unique, I would say KO stops practice to teach far more than the average coach and it's enlightening how far back on the fundamental spectrum he actually has to go with this team vs. past teams. The only thing relative to practice I will say I differ with philosophically from KO (and 90% of the coaches that I know disagree with me) is that he doesn't spend as much in season practice time as I would on individual skills vs. team concepts. Like I said though, 90% of of the coaches I know from college to high school disagree with me on this and believe this work is done on players' time and in the off season.

The problems with this program have nothing to do with X's and O's or teaching ability. This program is a mess because of a complete lack of ability to identify, recruit and retain mentally tough talent that fits together to make a competent team. I'll leave the speculation as to whether that's a result of apathy, ability, or bad luck to those more in touch than me.

Reaction Score
Ok I'm taking the bait and risking violating my status as a casual fan by overstepping. There are a few open practices throughout the year every year. This isn't a PR stunt because of a losing season. They are invite only based on donor level/season ticket holder status. These are real practices with a handful of spectators and can happen in Werth or Gampel.

Thanks for sharing that, I had no idea. I retract my previous statement.

Reaction Score
Ok I'm taking the bait and risking violating my status as a casual fan by overstepping. There are a few open practices throughout the year every year. This isn't a PR stunt because of a losing season. They are invite only based on donor level/season ticket holder status. These are real practices with a handful of spectators and can happen in Werth or Gampel. There are also occasionally open practices like they had for the students which are basically an open gym and a glorified version of first night.

For those looking for a profound reason this program has collapsed, there will be virtually nothing to report from practice. A UCONN practice is comparable to every other basketball practice I have ever seen from high school to college. They do the same drills and work on the same things and stop practice and drills at teachable moments like all coaches. To paraphrase Chief, this game is not that complicated. There are only a finite number of things you can do at practice. If anything is unique, I would say KO stops practice to teach far more than the average coach and it's enlightening how far back on the fundamental spectrum he actually has to go with this team vs. past teams. The only thing relative to practice I will say I differ with philosophically from KO (and 90% of the coaches that I know disagree with me) is that he doesn't spend as much in season practice time as I would on individual skills vs. team concepts. Like I said though, 90% of of the coaches I know from college to high school disagree with me on this and believe this work is done on players' time and in the off season.

The problems with this program have nothing to do with X's and O's or teaching ability. This program is a mess because of a complete lack of ability to identify, recruit and retain mentally tough talent that fits together to make a competent team. I'll leave the speculation as to whether that's a result of apathy, ability, or bad luck to those more in touch than me.

No way I agree with this (below)....Sorry. No way. :(

"I would say KO stops practice to teach far more than the average coach and it's enlightening how far back on the fundamental spectrum he actually has to go with this team vs. past teams. "-Nott

9976-koolaidman.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just checked my email. Never got the invite. Does anyone know who I can contact to RSVP. I would really like to sit through a practice.
AD directory
I'd try Marketing and Fan Engagement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have you ever played D1 sports? Ever coach D1 sports?
Head coaches, for the most part, come and go during practice because they have a ton of other things on their plates. This isn't high school sports.
This sounds so much better if you imagine Jack Nicholson as Col. Jessup saying it.

cant-handle.jpg

"Who's going to run those practices? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No way I agree with this (below)....Sorry. No way. :(

"I would say KO stops practice to teach far more than the average coach and it's enlightening how far back on the fundamental spectrum he actually has to go with this team vs. past teams. "-Nott

9976-koolaidman.jpg

I don’t blame you. I’ve never even seen a UCONN practice. Come to think of it I have never seen any basketball practice. My bad.

It’s way more believable that he doesn’t teach any basic basketball concepts and that he doesn’t care anymore. I’m sticking with that and getting back in my lane. I’ll leave the heavy lifting to those who actually know what they are talking about.

Reaction Score
I don’t blame you. I’ve never even seen a UCONN practice. Come to think of it I have never seen any basketball practice. My bad.

It’s way more believable that he doesn’t teach any basic basketball concepts and that he doesn’t care anymore. I’m sticking with that and getting back in my lane. I’ll leave the heavy lifting to those who actually know what they are talking about.

I am sorry.

Thanks for the post. Hope you make the open practice. Also have a great weekend.

Best
BDH

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Open practice started at 3:30 pm today. Any updates from anyone attending please post here. I was unable to go today. It would be nice to get some live reports. Thank you!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I heard he sits on a throne and makes the players carry him on the throne into the gym. Cobb objected to this, which lead to the falling out.
It's a palanquin (credit to @Fishy for teaching me that word).

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Yeah, despite the bad article, I've head some serious smoke that the coaches are outworking the players.

That is a recruiting issue. And probably some bad luck.

Reaction Score
Great open practice. Kevin is a fantastic coach and brings the energy. A lot of players have a lack of focus, and aren’t as coachable as they can be. He holds every player accountable and gives them criticism but applauds when they do things correct. A lot of getting on the bigs like Dave, kwintin. Gave Dave a lot of pointers. At times he got mad at the entire team for defense, referring to things that happned im the game. After seeing this practice it is clear a lot of the issues seem to come from the players, not trusting the coaches and buying into the program. Wilson looks legit, Eric and momadou practice hard. Would have liked to see isiah and Tyler work harder. Dave was getting boxed out and out rebounded by mike. A lot of mistakes from Dave and he didn’t hear the end of it. Very eye opening expirence.

Reaction Score
Couple quick points. This team needs lots of teaching and the coaching staff does that. Cobb needs to play more. Ollie constantly imploring players to talk to each other on defense. Polley is as clueless defensively during practice as he is on the court, that's probably why he doesn't get many minutes. Carlton still learning but seems to listen to what he is bring taught. DO very vocal during practice. Some leadership qualities, probably due to his maturity, again probably why Ollie uses him at certain times during the game.

Reaction Score
Couple quick points. This team needs lots of teaching and the coaching staff does that. Cobb needs to play more. Ollie constantly imploring players to talk to each other on defense. Polley is as clueless defensively during practice as he is on the court, that's probably why he doesn't get many minutes. Carlton still learning but seems to listen to what he is bring taught. DO very vocal during practice. Some leadership qualities, probably due to his maturity, again probably why Ollie uses him at certain times during the game.
Be quiet Kathy no one wants to hear anything that vindicates he who’s name shall not be spoken. (Ko). Then they will follow up with his recruits his problem. So he hires chill. Chill who have you brought on? No one I’ve been here for 1/2 a season but we’re getting started addressing the talent issues the boneyard mentions everyday.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Be quiet Kathy no one wants to hear anything that vindicates he who’s name shall not be spoken. (Ko). Then they will follow up with his recruits his problem. So he hires chill. Chill who have you brought on? No one I’ve been here for 1/2 a season but we’re getting started addressing the talent issues the boneyard mentions everyday.

1 open practice wipes away the results on the court during games. Interesting logic.

Reaction Score

No real surprises. Good stuff though, thanks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom