ONO | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ONO

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Scoop, I agree with you on most fronts.

I am so encouraged with how ONO played last night. I She has surely come a long way since the start of the season. She reminds me of Big Steph's freshman year. I'm not talking about physique, I'm talking about the "schooling" other teams give her. Tina comes to mind as well. But, CD brings the bigs along and prepares them like no HS coach can. I love her (ONO) attitude and she obviously is picking it up at a reasonable pace.

I noted something that one of the color analysts said last night. I can’t remember if it was Lawson or Lobo. The comment was that while ONO was in the game, SC didn’t score any points in the paint. Something to ponder. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One other thing about ONO (great points mentioned by everyone) is that on at least 1 shot and maybe 2, she caught the ball, turned, and immediately went up with the shot. She did NOT put the ball on the floor and dribble and then put up the shot.

I can't tell you how many bigs I've seen, even as jr's and sr's, feel the need to catch the ball, and take a dribble or 2 before shooting, even if they are literally right under the basket in perfect position. Or... they catch the ball and bring it down to their waste before putting up the shot - thus allowing an easy block or strip from a defender. ONO did not do that. Getting stronger will help her big time, though. The sky's the limit for her!

Reaction Score
If you watched the game with Sue and A'ja, you heard Bird say that she visited the UCONN huddle during a third quarter timeout and Geno was focused on Olivia. He drew a circle on his board under the SC basket and wrote Olivia in it three times. He emphasized to her that she owned this circle. Her job was keep SC out of it. Maybe someone could find the exact segment to post. Bird seemed to think that it was an important moment in Geno's strategy.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
She doesn’t take advantage of her height when shooting, though. Would love for her to jump and release ball at top; then, she wouldn’t have her shot get blocked.
I think that she should just dunk every shot. Odds are she will get the "and 1" every time too. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
If you watched the game with Sue and A'ja, you heard Bird say that she visited the UCONN huddle during a third quarter timeout and Geno was focused on Olivia. He drew a circle on his board under the SC basket and wrote Olivia in it three times. He emphasized to her that she owned this circle. Her job was keep SC out of it. Maybe someone could find the exact segment to post. Bird seemed to think that it was an important moment in Geno's strategy.

If I could, I’d give you 25 likes. That is exactly what I’m talking about. Instead of giving Liv 20 things to do or think about, he just gave her one. Defend that area of the paint. She did for the 9 minutes she was in the game. To me, that’s impressive. Oh by the way, she also managed to grab 6 rebounds too. ;)

Don’t think that factoid will escape Geno the rest of the season. She was the first one off the bench in a high profile game. So there’s got to be some trust in there somewhere. Anytime you can take something away from a team for almost an entire quarter, that’s huge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Doesn't have to happen three weekends in a row. No way UConn is losing the first weekend, regardless of how well they shoot.

The 2nd round game will likely be against a 7 seed — basically a top 30 team. Given the performances against Oklahoma and others, this team can’t half-ar$e any games or it could lose.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Our two best quarters of basketball so far have been with ONO in the line-up, the 4th quarter at Notre Dame and the 3rd quarter with South Carolina. Last year our best quarters against Notre Dame came with Stevens in the line-up. It did not matter if they were replacing Walker, it did not matter if they were replacing Collier, our best quarters the past two years have been with a legitimate center in the line-up.

I'm not necessarily saying ONO is not being played enough; Auriemma has a system that gets pretty good results. I would criticize it only if I could point to another program and say: "see, they do it differently and get just as good results." I am suggesting instead that next year may turn out better than some think.

Carnac

Reaction Score
They don't need to be hot from outside for 3 weekends in a row... just for the last 3 games. They can win the first 3 games with just average performances... :)

That’s right!!! It’s been said that the tournament doesn't really begin until the second weekend. After the 2nd round, all of the weak and most of the "at large" seeds are gone. The sweet 16. This is when the tournament dark horse(s) goes to work, breaking hearts, and sending top seeded teams home. :eek: The first 2 rounds are nothing more than tune-ups for the top seeded teams. They seldom lose during the first two rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
They need to sustain TEAM focus throughout the rest of the season and EVERY round of the NCAAs. They were focused during the 3rd quarter last night and that is what they need to sustain. The wins will come and if a defeat happens, it will not be because they had a game like the 2 losses suffered to date. We all have witnessed what is possible when they play to their potential. Believe it or not, we actually have a decent bench in the making. I'm pumped!!

Reaction Score
Remember, ONO is still trying to figure things out. She's a freshman and will play like one. I expect her to start next year, and not make the mistakes and and errors in judgment she's making now. By January of next season, I doubt you'll see any of her shots getting blocked. ONO has a lot of upside. Her play will reflect the coaching she'll get from Geno and Christine Daley. Believe me, she'll be fine. ;)
Great post Scoop. This kid is going to be another UConn great. It doesn't make any sense to analyze and critique her game at this point in her UConn career. She's a freshman. We've all seen what players can accomplish under Geno and his staff's coaching. ONO is a keeper and will make great strides in her overall game in the next two years.

Reaction Score
We had great games from our seniors obviously but I think the turning point was when ONO came in. She completely changed the game. MW has been good but defensively she seems to be out of position a lot.

ONO takes pressure of Pheesa to defend the biggest players while staying out of foul trouble & takes pressure of Lou to have to rebound so she can run the floor (which is where she is at her best).

Our best lineup, especially against the teams we will have to beat to win a championship includes ONO.
Bench Megan! Not on board with that. She can do so many more things on the court. UConn best Notre Dame with Collier on the bench; do you also want to sign up for that? It was one game.

Reaction Score
We had great games from our seniors obviously but I think the turning point was when ONO came in. She completely changed the game. MW has been good but defensively she seems to be out of position a lot.

ONO takes pressure of Pheesa to defend the biggest players while staying out of foul trouble & takes pressure of Lou to have to rebound so she can run the floor (which is where she is at her best).

Our best lineup, especially against the teams we will have to beat to win a championship includes ONO.
Good points. I would also add that ONO's big upside is her athleticism, which makes her potential amazing. To this point however she has some other strengths and weaknesses.

As you pointed out she has quick hands, but they are also relatively soft, and she takes a pass well below her waist and while she's in motion. But not both at the same time. That's just asking too much for most bigs. But big players have a problem with either. She also has a nice quick first and second jump. She's really starting to get the idea that she doesn't have to block and/or foul every shot, just contest every one while jumping straight up. She does have very good timing on her blocks. She runs the floor well and is starting to get what it means to be in UConn condition. ONO will need it because she plays with a ton of energy. She can make her layups because, unlike Meg, she puts the proper english on the ball (Meg always seems to either put too much or too little). This is also something that Pheesa is a master at, as well as Lou. However again, because ONO hasn't reached a certain strength level small bumps and swipes make her miss. This will come.

However, she doesn't anticipate her teammates shot well and often fails to get into proper position for the rebound. She also doesn't read the ball off the rim as well as say Pheesa, who is just phenomenal at that. Further because she hasn't reached her body's maturity, she is not yet strong enough to push through box outs. That makes her too dependent on out jumping her mark to get rebounds.

She's willing to set screens, but too often she's too early or late for them to be effective. This will come.

All you've said about her outside shot is, to me, spot on. Further though, her problem at the foul line is not necessarily form. To me it isn't that bad. She doesn't seem to relax her wrist and let the ball flow off of her fingers. Too often she pushes the ball toward the rim. Against SCar she did relax her wrist and the ball flowed toward the rim. She does the same on jump shots as well. This, as you've said, will come. All good signs.

I said the same thing in the BA Award thread. In retrospect I'm inclined to say: It ain't over until the rotund lady sings---meaning; ONO has a long way to go to be Div 1 ready. She did play a very very very good game against SC. Also, it is my impression that ONO plays her best basketball with the best (the 5) she reverts it appear with the bench players--she just doesn't fit with that group. She needs to work with the 5 and get hard passess, bonce passes, high passes, and used them to score. He has the BIG GIRL problem all B.G.'s have as they start: 1. don't put the ball on the floor (tiny tots pick them off) 2. Rebound and hold high or tight to the chest (someone will always want to take it from you 3. Don't rush your put backs--you are 100 percent accurate when you move a bit slower. Olivia may be the difference in winning it all or not even the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
Good points. I would also add that ONO's big upside is her athleticism, which makes her potential amazing. To this point however she has some other strengths and weaknesses.

As you pointed out she has quick hands, but they are also relatively soft, and she takes a pass well below her waist and while she's in motion. But not both at the same time. That's just asking too much for most bigs. But big players have a problem with either. She also has a nice quick first and second jump. She's really starting to get the idea that she doesn't have to block and/or foul every shot, just contest every one while jumping straight up. She does have very good timing on her blocks. She runs the floor well and is starting to get what it means to be in UConn condition. ONO will need it because she plays with a ton of energy. She can make her layups because, unlike Meg, she puts the proper english on the ball (Meg always seems to either put too much or too little). This is also something that Pheesa is a master at, as well as Lou. However again, because ONO hasn't reached a certain strength level small bumps and swipes make her miss. This will come.

However, she doesn't anticipate her teammates shot well and often fails to get into proper position for the rebound. She also doesn't read the ball off the rim as well as say Pheesa, who is just phenomenal at that. Further because she hasn't reached her body's maturity, she is not yet strong enough to push through box outs. That makes her too dependent on out jumping her mark to get rebounds.

She's willing to set screens, but too often she's too early or late for them to be effective. This will come.

All you've said about her outside shot is, to me, spot on. Further though, her problem at the foul line is not necessarily form. To me it isn't that bad. She doesn't seem to relax her wrist and let the ball flow off of her fingers. Too often she pushes the ball toward the rim. Against SCar she did relax her wrist and the ball flowed toward the rim. She does the same on jump shots as well. This, as you've said, will come. All good signs.
@Jordy--you always make sense. I agree with everything except Body Maturity--My body didn't mature until near 40, until then I couldn't put on an oz of weight ---I was just too active. I fear the same may be true of ONO. However, she has the advantage of trainer and the weight room which should put on muscle and that may add some weight. To be an effective defensive post she will need to hold her ground with some weight and muscle.
She, in my less than humble opinion, will be a star that shines brightly as a Senior. She needs to play more and more with the 5, less and less with the bench--with them she learns nothing.

Reaction Score
UConn’s zone defense is really really bad against teams that have decent three point shooters.

When the ball is swung around, it always creates an open look. The UConn players are always way off the three point line, sagging in to help out on defending the opposing post player.

Anyway, point is, ONO should allow the zone to extend to the three point line and not have to sag in, since she can handle the opposing post.

More to the point, the zone is awful regardless and playing ONO should allow them to play man to man.

The only way this team wins a national championship playing zone is if UConn is hot shooting from three in the tournament and outscores the other teams. Can’t see that happening for three weekends in a row.

Reaction Score
I agree our zone defense may work against certain teams that are not 3 point shooters but
against better shooting teams it seems the wing coverage in our system is weak.

Reaction Score
Geno suggests ONO isn't fond of practices. Hope she feels better about weight room.

Reaction Score
Bench Megan! Not on board with that. She can do so many more things on the court. UConn best Notre Dame with Collier on the bench; do you also want to sign up for that? It was one game.
No one said bench Megan but we need her to sit at times to get ONO in. The upside for defense & rebounding far outweighs Megan’s contributions on offense. Again, in order for Lou & Pheesa to be at their best, which is what we need to win it all, Pheesa has to stay out of foul trouble & Lou needs to be able to run. ONO solves both problems.

Reaction Score
Seems like the light is coming on for her doesn't it?

We need to get that girl some protein shakes and some quality training room time in the off season. Give her a little more (quality) bulk and she'll be better able to carve out space.
CL, your comments net out the biggest offensive improvement for ONO's future. Making a layup is not just holding the ball high but at times, leaning into the defender to create room and in a sense, "make them smaller." As ONO gains strength and hopefully bulk (i.e. my previous comments about getting her family getting her ice cream gift cards at the Dairy), she will hopefully learn this skill.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Besides overall body strength. I think she needs to improve her hands (grip strength). She juggles to many balls to easilty. Like on some of those old TV shows, she should always have a grip strengthener in her hands. ;)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
ONO has the potential of being a huge force before the end of this season. Her future is huge. She can dunk, is long quick and can shoot. She has improved so much already this season. Over the next few weeks we are going to see her become a force and in the conference tournament you just may see her on the all tournament team. Im sky high on ONO. Quietly she is becoming a force.

Take a look not at the stats but the how the game changes when she comes in....then take a look at other freshman bigs and you will see what Im talking about. Dont be surprised at a new cheer when she blocks a shot ..............Oh No. lol

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ONO has the potential of being a huge force before the end of this season. Her future is huge. She can dunk, is long quick and can shoot. She has improved so much already this season. Over the next few weeks we are going to see her become a force and in the conference tournament you just may see her on the all tournament team. Im sky high on ONO. Quietly she is becoming a force.

Take a look not at the stats but the how the game changes when she comes in....then take a look at other freshman bigs and you will see what Im talking about. Dont be surprised at a new cheer when she blocks a shot ....Oh No. lol

Based on your motivation, I introduce O No you didn't

1550083997868.png

Reaction Score
How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing
How can I go forward when I don't know which way to turn
How can I go forward into something I'm not sure of
Oh no, oh no

John Lennon. How? (1971)

Reaction Score
I do notice that when ONO plays with the bench, Molly always makes an effort to get ONO the ball, even on successive possessions. This is a good practice for ONO as she again will get the opportunity to try the moves CD is teaching her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom