One third of the season.... | The Boneyard

One third of the season....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So were one third into the season and were sitting at a nice 9-0 and likely breaking into the top 10 come Monday. My question to everyone is how do you feel about the team and Ollie? As a passionate fan and trying not to be a homer I think we have 3 of our positions set and 2 left for debate in terms of March tourney play. Napier, giff and dd....other than that I haven't been totally impressed with anyone else. It would almost be nice if we brought boat off the bench to provide that spark maybe insert Birmah and lasan into the starting line up? I think Phil's been terrible and wouldn't mind seeing Birmah with olander on the court at the same time. I guess my overall point here is although it's early I wish we had a little more definition of roles ...thoughts?

Reaction Score
I think Nolan has been given every opportunity to take his game to the next level. Brimah is the guy we need to groom for March and Olander may have to be the stop gap. 9-0 is a tremendous start.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
This comes up a lot, this "Ollie should do this to bring in a spark off the bench," usually about Calhoun, here about Boatright (which will never happen, but that's another story).
Isn't this exactly what we're doing with Giffey? He doesn't start, he comes in, hits some threes -- instant offense. If we want a spark off the bench why not keep the one we have?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
shabazz napier is a great player with a great supporting cast.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So were one third into the season and were sitting at a nice 9-0 and likely breaking into the top 10 come Monday. My question to everyone is how do you feel about the team and Ollie? As a passionate fan and trying not to be a homer I think we have 3 of our positions set and 2 left for debate in terms of March tourney play. Napier, giff and dd....other than that I haven't been totally impressed with anyone else. It would almost be nice if we brought boat off the bench to provide that spark maybe insert Birmah and lasan into the starting line up? I think Phil's been terrible and wouldn't mind seeing Birmah with olander on the court at the same time. I guess my overall point here is although it's early I wish we had a little more definition of roles ...thoughts?
I think you answered your own question. They are 9-0. There's no reason to change the starters. If someone is having a great game, they'll get minutes. If someone is having an off game, they'll get less minutes. Tonight, Nolan started and got 13 minutes while Facey and Brimah each got 18. Maybe if one of the bigs starts rebounding consistently without racking up fouls, they could replace Nolan. But the rest of the starting lineup should remain the same.

Reaction Score
The difference between Nolan and Brimah are not as great as people claim right now. They will all get minutes. None of them are strong enough to stand out over the other despite this very weird notion some have that Nolan somehow sucks in comparison to Brimah.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I put much of anything into tonight's game...aka faceys 18 mins...Maine was a jv team out there and in all likelihood we coulda got a group of 8 guys off this board to compete against them. I'm concerned about Omar's shooting % and lack of effort (2nd half 50/50 ball ...Maine goes to the floor Omar watches) I think u gota reward giff...sit phil and figure out how to use boat lasan Birmah and olander efficiently going forward...thought boat had a great second half with a few selfish plays in the first. Idk I guess I'd like to see a solid 7-8 man rotation consistently by the time feb/march happen with guys knowing their roles. I love the start thus far - just looking to get opinions on how we could improve ( which I think we agree we could)

Reaction Score
The difference between Nolan and Brimah are not as great as people claim right now. They will all get minutes. None of them are strong enough to stand out over the other despite this very weird notion some have that Nolan somehow sucks in comparison to Brimah.

Is it really that weird....I think Birmah has controlled the paint early against the top opponents we've played...they avg the same pts....Nolan avg a half a rebound more and brimah as 25 more blocks than Phil going into this game.....I think it's a no brainer u develop brimah NOW so he's ready for march. Remember Phil's 17 foot jump shot....missed dunk and foiling out in 11 mins of play against Florida? Weak.

Reaction Score
Like what Bluedog said. Feel very proud, again, of the Husky's.
But worried that the AAC schedule will not be tough enough. We have thrived on extremely tough BE schedules to harden us in the past. This year will have breaks like we haven't known.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I put much of anything into tonight's game...aka faceys 18 mins...Maine was a jv team out there and in all likelihood we coulda got a group of 8 guys off this board to compete against them. I'm concerned about Omar's shooting % and lack of effort (2nd half 50/50 ball ...Maine goes to the floor Omar watches) I think u gota reward giff...sit phil and figure out how to use boat lasan Birmah and olander efficiently going forward...thought boat had a great second half with a few selfish plays in the first. Idk I guess I'd like to see a solid 7-8 man rotation consistently by the time feb/march happen with guys knowing their roles. I love the start thus far - just looking to get opinions on how we could improve ( which I think we agree we could)

Brimah was also getting worked in that Florida game, and Olander also fouled out in 11 minutes, yet you're advocating playing him.

Reaction Score
Like what Bluedog said. Feel very proud, again, of the Husky's.
But worried that the AAC schedule will not be tough enough. We have thrived on extremely tough BE schedules to harden us in the past. This year will have breaks like we haven't known.
This is exactly how I feel. I like that we play at Louisville the last game of the season to toughen us up. If we make it to the AAC championship game, chances are we would have played Cincy, Memphis, and Louisville if the bracket goes chalk.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I like Giff coming off the bench. Less pressure on him. But when Omar is cold, we can't keep letting him shoot and kill the offense. That's when Giff/Lasan should get more minutes. Maybe Leon too.

Reaction Score
Is it really that weird....I think Birmah has controlled the paint early against the top opponents we've played...they avg the same pts....Nolan avg a half a rebound more and brimah as 25 more blocks than Phil going into this game.....I think it's a no brainer u develop brimah NOW so he's ready for march. Remember Phil's 17 foot jump shot....missed dunk and foiling out in 11 mins of play against Florida? Weak.

If it weren't for Nolan, Brimah would foul out by halftime. Brimah can do more things but he is not good enough to be on the court longer than 20 minutes right now.

Reaction Score
We are 9-0 winning on borrowed time. This is a one game at a time team for sure.

Reaction Score

What bothered me last night was the many times Maine went to the floor and ALL of our guys watched, not just Omar. Phil, Bazz, Boat and Omar all had chances to hit the floor and nothing.....it was the game before the break and this tends to be a tough one for the kids, especially against a team which lost to the Q by 40......but in all honestly no one on this team gives it up for the ball on the floor......

Reaction Score
What bothered me last night was the many times Maine went to the floor and ALL of our guys watched, not just Omar. Phil, Bazz, Boat and Omar all had chances to hit the floor and nothing.....it was the game before the break and this tends to be a tough one for the kids, especially against a team which lost to the Q by 40......but in all honestly no one on this team gives it up for the ball on the floor......
I think Brimah did.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Whew, close one. I worried we'd have nothing to complain about after a game where we never broke a sweat and our C team played the last 10 minutes.
I'm all for guys hitting the floor, but if they're going to choose not to play with reckless abandon in a game they stand no chance of losing I'm not going to worry about it.

Reaction Score
Whew, close one. I worried we'd have nothing to complain about after a game where we never broke a sweat and our C team played the last 10 minutes.
I'm all for guys hitting the floor, but if they're going to choose not to play with reckless abandon in a game they stand no chance of losing I'm not going to worry about it.

Wait a minute - do they ever? I wasn't talking about Maine only and by the way I agree, Shabazz can stand up all he wants I don't want him down there. But if you're a guy fighting for minutes you stand up and bend down to get a loose ball? Hmmmm.......pretty sure a guy shooting 30% can make some points with the coaching staff diving on a loose ball a few times whether it's Florida or Maine.

Reaction Score
Brimah was also getting worked in that Florida game, and Olander also fouled out in 11 minutes, yet you're advocating playing him.
My overall point here is that I think Phil has offered nothing to this point so I'm confused as to why he starts. If your telling me he plays so that he helps brimah saves fouls then he shouldn't be starting. As for Tyler he's a sr who I think is capable of playing the type offense that Ollie wants to run and I think it would be an interesting look with hi and Birmah on the flirt at the same time....Tyler can help with ball movement on the offensive end and you let brimah clog the middle and block shots on the defensive end. When you have giff Napier boat Omar and dd You have the luxury to not rely on the bigs for offense.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute - do they ever? I wasn't talking about Maine only and by the way I agree, Shabazz can stand up all he wants I don't want him down there. But if you're a guy fighting for minutes you stand up and bend down to get a loose ball? Hmmmm.......pretty sure a guy shooting 30% can make some points with the coaching staff diving on a loose ball a few times whether it's Florida or Maine.

+1

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Do they ever? Yes, they do. Our guys get on the floor all the time.
And the thing with Omar, there is no way he is playing lazy. If anything he's pressing. That's what guys do when they're in a slump and it results in bad decisions. That's bad play, not lack of effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom