One of the strangest endings ever | Page 6 | The Boneyard

One of the strangest endings ever

Reaction Score
First, kudos to UConn. We normally out-physical other teams. Out-tough them. Not last night. UConn gave us fits all night.

Regarding the "strangest ending ever," the thing that stood out to me was Hurley cursing at Jarreau, getting Jarreau to react, and then Hurley pointing out Jarreau's reactions to the refs resulting in the technical foul.

It was brilliant, and really the only chance UConn had to win the game. UConn is on its way out the door and doesn't care about burned bridges, so Hurley had nothing to lose.

You guys talk about a walk on taking a shot as strange. It doesn't even get to that point without Hurley's evil genius.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
First, kudos to UConn. We normally out-physical other teams. Out-tough them. Not last night. UConn gave us fits all night.

Regarding the "strangest ending ever," the thing that stood out to me was Hurley cursing at Jarreau, getting Jarreau to react, and then Hurley pointing out Jarreau's reactions to the refs resulting in the technical foul.

It was brilliant, and really the only chance UConn had to win the game. UConn is on its way out the door and doesn't care about burned bridges, so Hurley had nothing to lose.

You guys talk about a walk on taking a shot as strange. It doesn't even get to that point without Hurley's evil genius.
Show me when Hurley cursed at Stiffarm Jarreau

Reaction Score
Hurley had no timeouts left so the only way to get Temi out was a foul situation. Gaffney had 0, Akok had 1, Gilbert had 2 and Carlton 3. I would take a chance that either Whaley or Adam's foul out than the chance that Temi would be in for our offensive set. I feel for the kid - he should not been put in that situation.

This is a reasonable point of view. With Carlton in it might have been more likely he couldn’t commit a foul quickly, but maybe the downside of having Temi on offense outweighed that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The game was lost long before that play. We only had that late chance because Houston was almost as boneheaded as us. There’s no point dwelling on it. Kid took a good shot.

We need to focus on guys going 1-7 from the line, turning it over on back to back plays, guys who missed almost every shot they took. We blew it because we couldn’t execute when it counted. The defensive effort was superb. So was Houston’s. But their guys came down and made a couple of big shots and drained free throws. Ours didn’t.

Reaction Score
After that one I really have to ask is Hurley the Bob Diaco of basketball? I won’t be shocked if he starts talking about fish cakes and pulls out the trophy when we play UCF.

Reaction Score
Show me when Hurley cursed at Stiffarm Jarreau
Screenshot 2020-01-24 05.59.28.png

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2020-01-24 06.00.13.png

As Sampson said about the T in the postgame, there was cursing, we didn't curse back, and the refs caught the retaliator.

Reaction Score
1-5 in 2020. Puts walk on in for final shot. He walks around swinging that stuff from church around basketball courts. Lugs that picture of the AAC trophy everywhere.

Bob Diaco pt. 2.

Reaction Score
Last three years we’d lose by 18 at Houston so this is significant progress in my eyes.

Reaction Score
lol so we are defending a coach putting in a walkon, not having him inbound the ball and take a game tying jump shot in a conference game. This is what you are defending lol. We got what we deserve.
And you’re presumably an adult who finished a sentence with “lol”, so we all have opinions on things that are right and wrong

Reaction Score
I still can't believe how many people seem to not understand what happened. We had 6 scholarship players. Houston had the ball. It was overwhelmingly likely that we were going to have to immediately foul on the inbounds. Whaley had four fouls. Carlton is not particularly fast. So Temi was in to give a foul. We unexpectedly forced a five-second violation. Since no time passed, we couldn't take him out. We didn't run a play for him. Temi was wide open, so to avoid a five-second call, we passed to him.

People that don’t understand this should just lose their posting privileges.

Reaction Score
You should feel very bad about yourself . . .

Calm down man. I wasn’t even one of the posters attacking Hurley. Hadn’t realized we couldn’t take him out until now - but I defended the decision to keep him in anyway over Carlton. I’m now realizing we had five available scholarship players outside of Carlton (AG, Gaffney, Adams, Akok, Whaley)...but it’s a moot point if we legally couldn’t sub him out.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
And you’re presumably an adult who finished a sentence with “lol”, so we all have opinions on things that are right and wrong

Your issue is the “lol” cool.

Reaction Score
After that one I really have to ask is Hurley the Bob Diaco of basketball? I won’t be shocked if he starts talking about fish cakes and pulls out the trophy when we play UCF.
Did Diaco ever make a bowl game before becoming the head coach at UConn? And at Wagner and URI, no less.

Good to see you’re still a troll.

Reaction Score
but having him take the shot with 7 seconds on the clock is fine and dandy oh well he missed? Lol okay.
Having him inbound the ball would be a choice by Hurley. Him taking the shot was a result of the other 3 players being covered. So yeah I'm fine with the way it played out

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Having him inbound the ball would be a choice by Hurley. Him taking the shot was a result of the other 3 players being covered. So yeah I'm fine with the way it played out

Yep. Are people really this dense? We couldn't sub him out, and Hurley chose his relatively tall PG to inbound the ball. AG would be a risk of a 5 second on our side and Temi would be a walk on under a lot of pressure as the inbounder. Maybe we could have used Akok, but I think he was our best chance as a target to get the pass. Houston smartly doubled him and Temi was wide open and got a good look.

Reaction Score
Stayed up way too late looking at the rulebook. Hurley and/or officials erred on the substitution. Temi came in for Carlton. Temi could have been subbed out after the 5-second call, and the timeout. The only restriction is Carlton couldn't come back in.

So, who else was on the bench?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
View attachment 50197

As Sampson said about the T in the postgame, there was cursing, we didn't curse back, and the refs caught the retaliator.
Hard to tell from those pics if he said anything but they showed the clip about 90 times and unless Hurley is a ventriloquist it didn’t seem he said anything. Given Sampson’s history as a known truth teller he must have.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Stayed up way too late looking at the rulebook. Hurley and/or officials erred on the substitution. Temi came in for Carlton. Temi could have been subbed out after the 5-second call, and the timeout. The only restriction is Carlton couldn't come back in.

Sid, Vital and Bouknight had fouled out. Carlton couldn't come back in. So AG, Gaffney, Akok, Whaley and Adams were the available scholarship players.

Reaction Score

It may be worse than that (bold text) --

A player who has been withdrawn or replaced by a substitute may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute, provided that the game clock has been properly started after the withdrawal or replacement (Exception: A replaced player is not subject to this restriction and may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute when the opponent has committed a violation or foul (personal or technical) before the game clock has been properly)

So if Hurley was told that he couldn't substitute, I'm livid. But he also needs to know and argue the rule there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom