One of the strangest endings ever | Page 7 | The Boneyard

One of the strangest endings ever

Reaction Score
Sid, Vital and Bouknight had fouled out. Carlton couldn't come back in. So AG, Gaffney, Akok, Whaley and Adams were the available scholarship players.

That is what Hurley could have put in. I think akok sub would/should have been allowed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That is what Hurley could have put in. I think akok sub would/should have been allowed.

Akok was already in. He guarded the inbounder on the 5 second call. It's Whaley who was out.

''We were trying to get Temi into that opposite corner and just hope that they would take that fourth defender and occupy him, but they did a great job of using those four guys to take away the three guys we had in action,'' Hurley said. ''They're smart. They didn't play Temi and funneled the ball his way.''

Reaction Score
It may be worse than that (bold text) --

A player who has been withdrawn or replaced by a substitute may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute, provided that the game clock has been properly started after the withdrawal or replacement (Exception: A replaced player is not subject to this restriction and may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute when the opponent has committed a violation or foul (personal or technical) before the game clock has been properly)

So if Hurley was told that he couldn't substitute, I'm livid. But he also needs to know and argue the rule there.
We need to know what he (Hurley) was told.

Listen. The officials may have said no to Carlton, and Hurley assumed Temi couldn't come out. Obviously, coach should be a master of the rules. His responsibility.

It is chaotic there and the rulebook is last thing he is focused on. But, that's coaches job, ya gotta know the rules like the bible. I have watched 1000s of games. I have never seen this happen where a player is so outmatched get in like that.

Temi got a good shot off and it looked like it was going to go in. What ya gonna do?

Reaction Score
Akok was already in. He guarded the inbounder on the 5 second call. It's Whaley who was out.

''We were trying to get Temi into that opposite corner and just hope that they would take that fourth defender and occupy him, but they did a great job of using those four guys to take away the three guys we had in action,'' Hurley said. ''They're smart. They didn't play Temi and funneled the ball his way.''
The Whalley should have come in for Temi.

Reaction Score
Listen. The officials may have said no to Carlton, and Hurley assumed Temi couldn't come out. Obviously, coach should be a master of the rules. His responsibility.

It is chaotic there and the rulebook is last thing he is focused on. But, that's coaches job, ya gotta know the rules like the bible. I have watched 1000s of games. I have never seen this happen where a player is so outmatched get in like that.

Temi got a good shot off and it looked like it was going to go in. What ya gonna do?

Right, but I think the rule actually allows any substitution. I'd love to know what he was told. Was he told "that guy can't come out"? Was it "he can't come back in the game"? I think they are wrong in any event, but I think he tried to make a substitution.

Reaction Score
would you have preferred a dribble drive to nowheresville from one of our team leaders? Those worked so well for us in the last 3 min of the game.

He was the last option of the play. No one else got open. Bizarre no doubt but the prophecy at halftime of walkons playing a role in the end of the game in the BY chat was prescient by whoever made it...

For all of you who pooh-poohed why only starting the season with ten scholarship players brings an unacceptable risk of biting you in the butt over the course of the season -- reconsider how expert you are.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Stayed up way too late looking at the rulebook. Hurley and/or officials erred on the substitution. Temi came in for Carlton. Temi could have been subbed out after the 5-second call, and the timeout. The only restriction is Carlton couldn't come back in.

So, who else was on the bench?
I mean,
Vital, Wilson, Bouknight fouled out
Carlton not allowed to come in
Literally had to be a walkon.

Reaction Score
Right, but I think the rule actually allows any substitution. I'd love to know what he was told. Was he told "that guy can't come out"? Was it "he can't come back in the game"? I think they are wrong in any event, but I think he tried to make a substitution.
He tried Carlton. I think your rule may be NBA rule, not NCAA. Check out page 41 and 42 of ncaa rulebook.

My prediction is we never hear about this again. I wonder if Bob Hurley Sr. ever ran into something like that. I can't recall in me watching hoops for 30 years that I have seen that issue. Just weird.

Reaction Score
There are three scenarios here --

1) He was told the walk-on couldn't come out. Incorrect.

2) He was told Carlton couldn't sub back in but didn't then try to put Whalley in. I think the officials are still wrong but Hurley messed up.

3) He was told nothing. Unlikely since someone went to the scorer's table.

Reaction Score
He tried Carlton. I think your rule may be NBA rule, not NCAA. Check out page 41 and 42 of ncaa rulebook.

My prediction is we never hear about this again. I wonder if Bob Hurley Sr. ever ran into something like that. I can't recall in me watching hoops for 30 years that I have seen that issue. Just weird.

I am quoting the NCAA book.

Reaction Score
There are three scenarios here --

1) He was told the walk-on couldn't come out. Incorrect.

2) He was told Carlton couldn't sub back in but didn't then try to put Whalley in. I think the officials are still wrong but Hurley messed up.

3) He was told nothing. Unlikely since someone went to the scorer's table.

Yeah. Whalley would have been allowed in.

Reaction Score
So you both are satisfied with a walk on shooting a game tying shot with 7 seconds on the clock. That’s fine. I’m not. I’d rather one of the scholarship players you know the ones who are in school for their basketball ability to get the ball and shoot it. I’d also like for our coach who we play 3M+/year to make sure we aren’t stuck in the exact situation we were in.... with a ice cold walk on shooting a game tying jumper. But what do I know I’m just a random guy on the internet.

He had a good look in a time limited situation where all you're trying to do is get a good look. He had a shot that good high school players -- which he was -- take and make. He made a perfectly good pump fake and move to get open. Not all jumpers go in. He was cold and this one didn't.

Blame the fact that no one on this damn team can make a 2 point jump shot. Blame Gilbert for going an unbelievable 1 for 7 from the line. Blame Carlton for not showing up. Blame Sid and Bouk for not realizing that tonight it was far more important that they stay on the court than foul opponents in better position than them.

But the criticism of the last 7 seconds is idiotic. If you don't want to lose a game because you don't make the last shot, be ahead by then.

Reaction Score
I am quoting the NCAA book.

H
He had a good look in a time limited situation where all you're trying to do is get a good look. He had a shot that good high school players -- which he was -- take and make. He made a perfectly good pump fake and move to get open. Not all jumpers go in. He was cold and this one didn't.

Blame the fact that no one on this damn team can make a 2 point jump shot. Blame Gilbert for going an unbelievable 1 for 7 from the line. Blame Carlton for not showing up. Blame Sid and Bouk for not realizing that tonight it was far more important that they stay on the court than foul opponents in better position than them.

But the criticism of the last 7 seconds is idiotic. If you don't want to lose a game because you don't make the last shot, be ahead by then.

If the kid is in the game, he has to be prepared to take the shot.

He looked confident, composed and drove the ball and got off a makeable mid-range jumper that looked good when it left his hand. My only complaint is I think he should have taken the 3. I bet he would have made that. But, kudos for the kid having the balls and composure to make the correct basketball play. It missed. People miss shots. It was certainly a shot he can make.

Reaction Score
This is a reasonable point of view. With Carlton in it might have been more likely he couldn’t commit a foul quickly, but maybe the downside of having Temi on offense outweighed that.

Let's be real. We had to foul, hope they missed on and then try to tie with a 3 (at which point Temi would be subbed out). WE would have killed -- killed -- to instead have them take a 5 second violation and give us the ball with no time running off the clock, even with Temi then being on the floor. Now we're going to second guess Hurley because we actually had a chance to win? Please.

If people want to beat up on Hurley, go after the fact that he hasn't brought in anyone who can hit a damn jumper, or that you think despite our obvious lack of athletic talent you think some magic offensive set is going to get us more points, or that you think he should have ditched Gilbert before the season started because he'd go 1 for 7 from the line and cost us games. But we played and coached our hearts out yesterday and our hats should be off for the effort.

Reaction Score
H

If the kid is in the game, he has to be prepared to take the shot.

He looked confident, composed and drove the ball and got off a makeable mid-range jumper that looked good when it left his hand. My only complaint is I think he should have taken the 3. I bet he would have made that. But, kudos for the kid having the balls and composure to make the correct basketball play. It missed. People miss shots. It was certainly a shot he can make.

I think he was (reasonably) afraid that the 3 would be blocked. But even cold on the bench, the shot he took was a better shot than we were going to get if he tried to get the ball to someone else to force something with 2 seconds left.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For all of you who pooh-poohed why only starting the season with ten scholarship players brings an unacceptable risk of biting you in the butt over the course of the season -- reconsider how expert you are.

Certainly. Unfortunately we did expect to have Springs. So the plan was to have 11.

That being said, does anyone here still think that if Polley needs to sit next year we are holding that scholarship for him? Nope. We will have 12 next season.

Reaction Score
Certainly. Unfortunately we did expect to have Springs. So the plan was to have 11.

That being said, does anyone here still think that if Polley needs to sit next year we are holding that scholarship for him? Nope. We will have 12 next season.

Don't want to speculate on Polley, but going into the season with a 12 man roster is entirely different than with a 10 man roster.

Reaction Score

I saw that reasoning, but is Temi the best shooter available? Feel bad the kid was put into that big of a situation. Even his teammates felt for him.

Reaction Score
Did Diaco ever make a bowl game before becoming the head coach at UConn? And at Wagner and URI, no less.

Good to see you’re still a troll.
No but it isn’t even vaguely comparable. You win your league hoop tourney you get a bid. Even if you are Wagner or URI, no less. Oh and just FYI Diaco did make a bowl in his second year as a head coach so there is that.

Face it Hurley has made some, let’s call them questionable, in game decisions, he has made some, let’s call them odd, comments. He has had, let’s call it modest, success so far. He isn’t Diaco whacky yet but if he starts talking Batman and fish cakes and brings out the ConFlict trophy don’t say you weren’t warned.

Reaction Score
Didn't Houston call a timeout after the 5 seconds? I didn't notice him in on the 5 seconds maybe i missed it but if he was they could have subbed him out

That was before

Reaction Score
Head coach needs to know the rules for things like this or have an assistant or manager who knows this stuff cold. $3 million/year and still learning how to be a coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom