One last gift from Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One last gift from Ollie

Reaction Score
KO rn
1616292277369.gif

Reaction Score
Eric Ayala is a perfectly fine college player who will probably have a fun career in Europe. The idea that he would have made some sort of difference if Ollie recruited him to UConn is moronic. We have better players than Eric Ayala. Just not when it matters.

Reaction Score
KO after all his recruits are gone next year we need to make a new chapter. There are plenty of recruits that he passed on which is questionable. But we need to move on and Danny will make sure this team improves and will recruit in state. KO was a horrible at recruiting. We would of had some decent players but yet those freshman he told to transfer.

Reaction Score
Eric Ayala is a perfectly fine college player who will probably have a fun career in Europe. The idea that he would have made some sort of difference if Ollie recruited him to UConn is moronic. We have better players than Eric Ayala. Just not when it matters.
It sounds like Ayala would have, in fact, made a difference.

He showed up in the clutch. None of our guys (save Gaffney) did.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ayala would've been a Husky if KO had recruited him even slightly. Couldn't be bothered.

Oh well. Proud of these kids and happy we're a tournament team again. Got a top 10 class coming in next year, we'll put a lottery pick into the League, and the program's officially headed in the right direction.

That's what I'm going to think about. Not this game, and certainly not free throw shooting.
Dolt

Reaction Score
It sounds like Ayala would have, in fact, made a difference.

He showed up in the clutch. None of our guys (save Gaffney) did.

There was no clutch in this game, bud. Trying to throw any of this at Ollie is so beyond dumb.

Reaction Score
Enough to what? Win our fifth? In that case, you’re correct, it won’t be enough.

But it’s enough to get us back to the tournament and maybe to the second weekend. And then we’ll bring in another top 10 class. And then we’ll be cooking.
People want everything yesterday.
Who is better? Bouk, Sanogo(freshman in constant foul trouble) who else is better?

Reaction Score
Ayala would've been a Husky if KO had recruited him even slightly. Couldn't be bothered.

Oh well. Proud of these kids and happy we're a tournament team again. Got a top 10 class coming in next year, we'll put a lottery pick into the League, and the program's officially headed in the right direction.

That's what I'm going to think about. Not this game, and certainly not free throw shooting.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this Ayala subject.
Can you tell me more about Ayala and his interest in Uconn and our failed or non existent recruitment?
I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

Reaction Score
What was Ayala ranked coming out of high school?
#78 on 247. Looks like he had some big time offers including us, Cuse, Zona, Ohio St., Illinois, Indiana. Definitely wasn't flying under the radar as a recruit.

Reaction Score
there they were before me at the dinner table last night:

-"not 1 dime back!"
-and Ryan Gomes feasting, all ~265 lbs. of him now :)...oh well move on, much health to all

Reaction Score

No one was a bigger Ollie critic than me. However, Hurley chose to pin our point guard hopes on RJ Cole and Gaffney. That is on Hurley. He had plenty of time to find good point guards and instead thought RJ Cole was the answer.

That right there is the problem. If Vital was still on the team, there is no way we lose last night's game.

The sad thing is other than Bouk so far, Ollie actually brought in more impactful players than Hurley. Brimah, Hamilton, Adams, Albatross Rod, Vital, Whaley. They lacked good coaching and leadership.

Reaction Score
Come on DH we knew FT's were an issue all year, did you think you could just just snap your heels?

Just didn't see the eagerness going to the line...coaching!!!

Reaction Score
It's honestly sad and pathetic that Ollie has even been brought back into the conversation.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Ollie is long gone
His mistakes are not.

I found it poetic that, in our first trip to the dance in five years, the best player on the court was a kid that Ollie simply refused to put any effort into recruiting. The echoes of coaching incompetence in this sport linger for years, my friends.

That's not to say the loss is on Ollie. It's not -- it's on Danny & the kids. But stuff that happened with this program four and five years ago still affects it now, just as stuff that's happening with this program now will affect it in 2025, 2026 and so on.

Anyway, I'll reiterate: I'm proud of Danny & the kids for getting us back there, am looking forward to seeing where Bouk goes in the lottery, and am certain better days for the program are ahead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom