One last gift from Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

One last gift from Ollie

Reaction Score
HA!

Can't blame Hurley for what we saw tonight but of course it's AOK to blame it on OLLIE.
Absolutely..... are you kidding.... Losing by less than 20 during the ko years was considered a moral victory. The team quit on him game after game. The one potentially great recruiting class was eviscerated before they could accomplish anything because of his gross incompetence especially when it came to recruiting. Hurley inherited a dumpster fire ? and has done a commendable job bringing the program back from the brink of becoming irrelevant. Hurley can improve on something's ( game prep and in game adjustments) but his teams do not give up and play hard game in and game out. Just like the Uconn teams of old they play with pride and are proud to wear UConn on the front of their uniforms and that's the difference between now and 4 years ago and after this year the Ollie experiment will be a thing of the past including playing other teams that have players that wanted to come to UConn and didn't because of the coach at the time .... ( Myles Powell- Seton Hall). His complete and total incompetence still haunts this school... ( the never ending lawsuit with claims of racism thrown in out of desperation). I'm sad that we now have to take down out UConn christmas tree earlier than i had hoped, ( it stays up till they lose ).Stay warm and be safe

Reaction Score
People are touchy. The team got beat yesterday and it had nothing to do with Ollie. Not really what the OP was saying.

I don't know where @Matrim55 has his source that we could have had Ayala, ranked 78 that year. Or if he would have stayed signed in the transition (since he's in Adams' class, i.e. Hurley's first). But I don't see the big deal in pointing out what the kid at least partially represents.

Reaction Score
People are touchy. The team got beat yesterday and it had nothing to do with Ollie. Not really what the OP was saying.

I don't know where @Matrim55 has his source that we could have had Ayala, ranked 78 that year. Or if he would have stayed signed in the transition (since he's in Adams' class, i.e. Hurley's first). But I don't see the big deal in pointing out what the kid at least partially represents.
It's just a weird thing to bring up, we didn't get a bunch of recruits and we didn't win many games after year three with Ollie but Ollie has nothing to do with what happened last night and I hope Hurley never brings up the mess he had to take over again. UConn lost last night because Hurley got outcoached and the team played terribly.

Reaction Score
It's just a weird thing to bring up, we didn't get a bunch of recruits and we didn't win many games after year three with Ollie but Ollie has nothing to do with what happened last night and I hope Hurley never brings up the mess he had to take over again. UConn lost last night because Hurley got outcoached and the team played terribly.
Well, we're at a point where Hurley literally has no one left from a KO team unless he wants them. That first recruiting class (Adams) was also a consequence of the takeover, but whatever.

And we're getting past the point where players on the court have any connection to KO at all.

So in that sense you're going to get your wish. Hopefully on both fronts.

But if you're someone who follows recruiting as closely as Matrim—who unlike some others actually has some connections and has been right on things—it's not too hard to see Ayala and think about the past, near UConn connection.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is exactly the issue imo. It sounds just like when Hurley brings up the mess he inherited and gives us all his program-building, culture-building resume time and time and time again. It sounds super defensive, like he’s still interviewing for the job. We are all well aware of where the program was. We are more aware of it than he is.

He has the job and he just signed a contract extension. Whoever Ayala is and wherever he came from, it’s not like he led Maryland to a gangbuster season; and in any event, Hurley said he expected him to be a problem, he had a week to plan for the matchup and he admitted that he had no plan whatsoever for dealing with him.

But yes, let’s bring up Kevin Ollie and lay the guy’s performance last night at his feet.

Reaction Score

The OP didn't make a single post or comment about any current UConn coach or player that coached/played last night but his response was to throw a temper tantrum about Ollie, that's clown behavior. Ollie should be out of sight and out of mind at this point, but I guess when Hurley is still talking to the media about what a mess he inherited like he did this week, using the Ollie crutch bleeds down to the fans. Folks better get it outta their system now, cuz it's not gonna fly at all when its all Hurley players going forward.

Reaction Score
The OP didn't make a single post or comment about any current UConn coach or player that coached/played last night but his response was to throw a temper tantrum about Ollie, that's clown behavior. Ollie should be out of sight and out of mind at this point, but I guess when Hurley is still talking to the media about what a mess he inherited like he did this week, using the Ollie crutch bleeds down to the fans. Folks better get it outta their system now, cuz it's not gonna fly at all when its all Hurley players going forward.
I respect your position and I'm myself tired of Hurley blaming Ollie. Even this year was a stretch. If he wanted to pass the buck, he could have instead mentioned the cascade of injuries his team has faced all three years. Unless KO , he needs to let it go.

I'm not particularly bothered by the OP here because he's posted before many other times and so I can fit his take into a wider understanding. There's been a whole lot of people dunking (rightly) on Hurley.

Reaction Score
he had a week to plan for the matchup and he admitted that he had no plan whatsoever for dealing with him.
$24 million in tax payer committed to a guy who had a week to prepare for a 78th ranked recruit and had no plan?!?!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
OK, KO whiffed on Ayala
DH whiffed on Kofi
Who would you rather have Matrim55?
DH bringing up the mess he inherited is childish - guess he never has gotten over the Dad and brother (player) being better syndrome that led him down the road of despair at Seton Hall and into areas that we don't need to talk about. DH doesn't need to bring up the KO years that was fine the 1st year- he needs to concentrate on whats going on now. To say that this year was a success...................................
Things will be better and there will be levels of success that UConn fans are used to - look ahead not behind

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Usually you suck for a year, then
You lose a lot really close games, then
You start winning a lot of really close games, then
You start dominating.

gonna take a little time to learn how to win in big & important games. Can’t expect much with ZERO tourney experience from any of our players. Need the staff to focus on offensive sets and to bring in shooters. Bullish on the future, but gd we need some offensive creators with confidence.
So this is like what, a 30 year plan?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom