"One hit wonders" that actually have other very good songs/other hits. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

"One hit wonders" that actually have other very good songs/other hits.

Reaction Score
How about Los Lonely Boys? They had a big hit "heaven".

About 12 years ago I got dragged to the park in New Haven to see a free show and was shocked at how good they were (I knew nothing about them). They are a great and I mean great Blues band.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Divinyls.... There was a lot more to their 1991 self titled LP than 'I touch myself"....

That's Randy Jackson on bass (American Idol, also played in Journey)!

Reaction Score
Glad to see that Blind Melon and Big Country were already featured!

Blind Melon was a fantastic band; insofar as "No Rain" was not even close to their best song. Big Country is super underrated. They were doing some really cool stuff and instead were lumped in with a lot of the cheesier 80s bands. "Inwards" is an incredibly cool tune.

Reaction Score
Phil Seymour - Precious to Me

Some other "hits" that apparently didn't hit the top 40. I was a little surprised that neither got in the top 40.

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe
Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't it be Good

Seymour's cover of "let her dance" was killer.

Reaction Score
Saw the Smithereens at Toads Place circa 1990. Went to Apple Music to download their stuff and saw a Beatles tribute album they did.

Let's just say, if you're going to do the Beatles? You better do it well and the album is really good. It's slanted towards the older Beatles stuff. 3 minutes a song, rock and roll. That's a niche for them and it's in their sweet spot. A new find thanks to this thread.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Split Enz - I Got You.
If you look at the body of work for Neil Finn, He's not a 1 hit wonder. But Split Enz only had this and Crowded House had Don't Dream It's Over and Something So Strong.

Dirty Creature was a great song.

Reaction Score
Saw the Smithereens at Toads Place circa 1990. Went to Apple Music to download their stuff and saw a Beatles tribute album they did.

Let's just say, if you're going to do the Beatles? You better do it well and the album is really good. It's slanted towards the older Beatles stuff. 3 minutes a song, rock and roll. That's a niche for them and it's in their sweet spot. A new find thanks to this thread.
Great band....saw them first in 1986 and last in 2012. Interesting to see them touring now after Dinizio's death with Marshall Crenshaw or Robin Wilson singing.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
here's kevin rudolfs one hit

after that, not only does he have lots of other great beats, but his fingerprints were all over many other 'famous' names work. a quiet legend.
the 'lyrics' version of this (4m+ hits!) is somehow more raw. I like it better, too.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Church and Smithereens not one hit wonders. I debated Big Head Todd and the Monsters, but I didn’t the quality.

How about Crash Test Dummies? That first record had many good songs.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Temporary Thread Hijack:

I follow a photographer on the Twitter and he like posting ads from old concerts. Today was an ad for the Agora showing AC/DC as a special guest for...

Mink Deville?

Never heard of Mink Deville and now watching on Youtube. This guy is great!!

Reaction Score
The Church and Smithereens not one hit wonders. I debated Big Head Todd and the Monsters, but I didn’t the quality.

Big Head Todd has always been criminally underrated. I'll never understand how Todd Park Mohr was never more famous, he has everything you should want in a frontman. Sister Sweetly is still one of my favorite albums.

Reaction Score

believe it or not, they were actually a really influential anarcho-punk band (contemporaries of the band crass) thoughout the 80's and 90's. their first album, "pictures of starving children sell records" is a classic.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

believe it or not, they were actually a really influential anarcho-punk band (contemporaries of the band crass) thoughout the 80's and 90's. their first album, "pictures of starving children sell records" is a classic.

inspirational and timely. 'ur never gonna keep us down!'

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

The church was in terms of top 40 hits. Starfish is the only album I've ever heard by them and Milky Way is the only song that got real airplay. Smithereens had 4 songs get airplay: blood & Roses, Behind the Wall of Sleep, Only a Memory and Girl Like You. The first 2 are my favorites, but the latter 2 charted in the top 40. Crash Test Dummies may have had a good disk, but only the one song that charted (in the US) was Mmm.
Are you suggesting they had other "hits" or just stating that they had other good songs in their catalog.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The church was in terms of top 40 hits. Starfish is the only album I've ever heard by them and Milky Way is the only song that got real airplay. Smithereens had 4 songs get airplay: blood & Roses, Behind the Wall of Sleep, Only a Memory and Girl Like You. The first 2 are my favorites, but the latter 2 charted in the top 40. Crash Test Dummies may have had a good disk, but only the one song that charted (in the US) was Mmm.
Are you suggesting they had other "hits" or just stating that they had other good songs in their catalog.

For CTD saying they fit the one hit wonder with many other good songs. That whole first album is good.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
For CTD saying they fit the one hit wonder with many other good songs. That whole first album is good.
He might have the deepest voice I can recall hearing, at least in the pop/rock genre. There may be a couple blues guys that could give him a run for his money. Mmm is the only song I know. I've never had the chance to listen to the disc (was it "And God Shuffled His Feet" or something like that?).

Reaction Score

"Airplay" is a broad term. With the Smithereens, only "a girl like you" made the pop top 40 and just barely at #38. If you're going to list those other 3 songs which made the modern rock and mainstream rock charts, then you also should include: house we used to live in, blues before and after, yesterday girl and top of the pops.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom