"One hit wonders" that actually have other very good songs/other hits. | The Boneyard

"One hit wonders" that actually have other very good songs/other hits.

Reaction Score

We all know them for "Down Under" but, IMO, "It's a mistake" is not only just as good, but even better, but for sure less-heralded, for whatever reason!

What examples do you have of One-hit wonders that actually are not one-hit wonders and have other solid songs?

Reaction Score

We all know them for "Down Under" but, IMO, "It's a mistake" is not only just as good, but even better, but for sure less-heralded, for whatever reason!

What examples do you have of One-hit wonders that actually are not one-hit wonders and have other solid songs?

I wouldn't call Men at Work a one hit wonder. Who Can It Be Now? was also a big hit from the Business As Usual album and Overkill was also a pretty big hit from the Cargo album.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
NPR does an ongoing series on one-hit-wonders' other best songs. They've played some pretty good stuff.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Iirc @Waquoit has noted some good entries in this category before.

Reaction Score

Between ages 9-12, I was a huge Presidents of the United States of America fan and listening to them 20+ years later, their stuff still holds up and I enjoy rocking out to them every once in a while.

Sounds funny to say, but they were very influential to me as a kid and their songs were some of the first songs I learned how to play on guitar. My friend Ian was a big fan of the band too, and we were in a band together in our teens and early 20s. In 4th grade, I have fond memories of going over to his house and, along with his older brother two years our senior, we'd pretend we were in this band, air-guitarring and singing along to their cd's.

I love their twangy, garage-y type sounds and they sound kinda like a sugar-coated Morphine in the sense that there are five strong in total between the two guitar players. Their level of imagination for a bunch of grown men is pretty impressive.

One of my favorite songs by them is "Bath of Fire".

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Men at Work had several big hits, Overkill is a way better song than Down Under. Overkill is an all-time great song.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
A isn't the definition of one hit wonders is that they have only one hit? Once the 2nd song appears they are no longer one hit wonders.
Ugh, if the 2nd song "appears" and it's not a hit, then by definition, no.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Overkill is also awesome.

Edit: Looks like I should have scrolled down, others called this also.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Led Zeppelin only had one Gold Record as a single (Whole Lotta Love).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A few off top of my head:

Thomas Dolby - beyond "She Blinded Me With Science" there was "Hyperactive"

Big Country - beyond "In a Big Country" there was "Fields of Fire", "We're Not in Kansas", "Wonderland" and "Look Away" among others that charted outside the US.

Midnight Oil - why they appear on lists of one-hit wonders is questionable, but it is apparently true that only "Beds are Burning" made the top 40 in US. So many to choose from - "Bullroarer", "Blue Sky Mine", "Truganini" and more.

XTC - "Dear God" charted in US top 40 but dayum, XTC's "greatest hits" CD is a better listen than hundreds of "greatest hits" compilations from far more popular bands. "Generals and Majors", "Nigel", "Senses Working Overtime", "Life Begins at the Hop"... far more.

I was gonna say The Waterboys, but turns out they never charted in US Top 40. Highest they ever got was 48, with a song I don't even like all that much. Still going strong 40 years later and still an excellent live show.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

Between ages 9-12, I was a huge Presidents of the United States of America fan and listening to them 20+ years later, their stuff still holds up and I enjoy rocking out to them every once in a while.

Sounds funny to say, but they were very influential to me as a kid and their songs were some of the first songs I learned how to play on guitar. My friend Ian was a big fan of the band too, and we were in a band together in our teens and early 20s. In 4th grade, I have fond memories of going over to his house and, along with his older brother two years our senior, we'd pretend we were in this band, air-guitarring and singing along to their cd's.

I love their twangy, garage-y type sounds and they sound kinda like a sugar-coated Morphine in the sense that there are five strong in total between the two guitar players. Their level of imagination for a bunch of grown men is pretty impressive.

One of my favorite songs by them is "Bath of Fire".

Good call on the Presidents. I'd have gone with "Lump" as the second, though :)
The Presidents of the USA - Lump

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom