"One hit wonders" that actually have other very good songs/other hits. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"One hit wonders" that actually have other very good songs/other hits.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I guess I got nuttin', then. Still a good album.

I don't disagree with that. I have the album. And a whole lot of significant bands cite Talk Talk as an influence.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know very little about the Barenaked Ladies but they probably would fit this odd category.
I know a lot about them, except I have no idea what their "one hit" would be. "One Week"? "If I Had A Million Dollars"? "Be My Yoko Ono"? "Brian Wilson"?

I have their first five studio albums, as well as Rock Spectacle, a live album. I like them all, but unfortunately I don't think they've ever come close to the brilliance of Gordon, their debut album. That is probably a desert island selection for me. I have seen them live several times, all while Stephen Page was still in the band, and they were great every time. And hilarious.

Reaction Score
You could be opening a can of worms!
That would be “canned of worms” but I’m a fly guy so no worms in a cann for me. Only squirmy wormies

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Icicle Works - Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just looked up two of my favorite two-hit wonders (Gary Wright, The Babys) and it turns out they had a 3rd lesser hit that I forgot about. But I have this:

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Phil Seymour - Precious to Me

Some other "hits" that apparently didn't hit the top 40. I was a little surprised that neither got in the top 40.

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe
Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't it be Good

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Split Enz - I Got You.
If you look at the body of work for Neil Finn, He's not a 1 hit wonder. But Split Enz only had this and Crowded House had Don't Dream It's Over and Something So Strong.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I know a lot about them, except I have no idea what their "one hit" would be. "One Week"? "If I Had A Million Dollars"? "Be My Yoko Ono"? "Brian Wilson"?

I have their first five studio albums, as well as Rock Spectacle, a live album. I like them all, but unfortunately I don't think they've ever come close to the brilliance of Gordon, their debut album. That is probably a desert island selection for me. I have seen them live several times, all while Stephen Page was still in the band, and they were great every time. And hilarious.

Agreed on all fronts on BNL.

My contribution - Del Amitri. Most will only know their one top 10 song in the US: Roll to Me.

Trust me, buy that album (Twisted). It's been a mainstay for me for close to 25 years now. They had a couple of other chart entries (Kiss this thing goodbye, always the last to know), but a single top 10.

They're actually recording their first new material in 18 years right now, assuming new album this year. Can't wait!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I guess Touch of Grey makes the Dead a one-hit wonder too, then. (Peaked at #9; second-highest chart location was Truckin' at #64.)

By that definition, this guy was a one hit wonder.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
One persons one hit wonder band is another persons top ten band ever. I'm sure the tightly knit Boneyard community can find common ground on defining what a one hit band wonder truly is Head bang BTW Haircut 100's best song is Love Plus One.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Smithreens. One hit. Great band.

What?
(the one hit part, not the great band part).

As an aside, after Pat DiNizio passed on, AW posted a vid of them playing a house party in someone's backyard and it was my favorite song by them, "Behind a Wall of Sleep" (#23 on Hot 100). Their greatest hits CD is simply wall to wall goodness.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean there are litterally millions of great bands/artists that have no “hits.”

Exactly. I could go through virtually any band's catalog and find something I really like.

Maybe a good thread would be "what are your favorites songs from obscure / unknown acts?"

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What?
(the one hit part, not the great band part).

As an aside, after Pat DiNizio passed on, AW posted a vid of them playing a house party in someone's backyard and it was my favorite song by them, "Behind a Wall of Sleep" (#23 on Hot 100). Their greatest hits CD is simply wall to wall goodness.
I wiki-ed them and it shows "Behind the Wall of Sleep" as a non charter on the US Hot 100. The Rock chart, different story.

Blessed to have seen them in Hamden a few summers ago. Love these guys.

"Yesterday Girl" !!!

Reaction Score
I know very little about the Barenaked Ladies but they probably would fit this odd category.
The Barenaked Ladies opened up for Hootie and the Blowfish this summer. I didn't know a ton about the band either but as they played I think I knew at least 4 songs by them - "If I Had a Million Dollars", "One Week", "Pinch Me", "It's All Been Done"..... they put on a great show too - really engaged with the audience, lots of humor and good musicians

Reaction Score
"I Ran" was the big hit, but "Space Age Love Song" was the better song.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom