On Replay, Noticing Achonwa's Body Language | The Boneyard

On Replay, Noticing Achonwa's Body Language

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Early this evening, I watched the replay of the Notre Dame postgame press conference, and I wondered why Kayla McBride was even there, given that she was obviously too upset to say a word. I thought that it might have been better for Natalie Achonwa, who generally seems like a poised and well-spoken person, to have made the appearance.

Then I watched the replay of the game, and started to understand (perhaps) the reason for that. After UConn got a significant lead, Achonwa's facial expressions and body language were shouting, "Oh, what's the use?" This was extremely noticeable on Stewart's 3-pointer from the top of the key to take the first 13-point lead. When Stewart took the shot, her face said, "How are we supposed to win this game if she is going to get wide open like that?" But then, when the shot was in the air, she simply turned toward the basket and did not take a step or get ready to jump, while Stef (next to her on two gimpy feet) boxed her out and would have probably gotten the rebound if the shot had been off-target. When it went in, Natalie shrugged her shoulders and looked to the bench for a timeout (which was called). At that point, I thought her expression said, "Get me outta here."

Well before that point in the game, I thought she was physically sucking wind, coping far less well than Stef or Stewie with the pace of the game. (Stewart scored 8 of her 29 points and got several rebounds after her shoulder injury.) It is true that Achonwa had to play more minutes, and more difficult minutes, coping with both Stef and Stewie while Ariel Braker was sitting with foul trouble.

Nonetheless, I think she has a ways to go (physically and emotionally) before she is an adequate solution at the center position for an NC contender next year. Taya Reimer will have to be really good if ND is going to get back to the Final Four, I think.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Natalie Achonwa was good enough to be a starter for the Canadian Olympic Team last summer.

Post players can only do so much if their guards don't get them the ball in the right place.

Reaction Score
My respect for ND, and for Natalie in particular, is huge. They are not only very good, but they have a "warrior" mentality that is impossible to ignore and impossible not to admire. That is what makes beating them so sweet, and what makes losing to them so terribly bitter. There is no doubt in my mind that our now defunct annual rivalry with them has served to make us a tougher and better team. They made us battle-hardened in a way that no other team did...so, after we win tonight, though I. along with everyone else, will be celebrating, I will be in mourning for two things I'll truly miss: Kelly Faris and the old Big East.

Reaction Score
My respect for ND, and for Natalie in particular, is huge. They are not only very good, but they have a "warrior" mentality that is impossible to ignore and impossible not to admire. That is what makes beating them so sweet, and what makes losing to them so terribly bitter. There is no doubt in my mind that our now defunct annual rivalry with them has served to make us a tougher and better team. They made us battle-hardened in a way that no other team did...so, after we win tonight, though I. along with everyone else, will be celebrating, I will be in mourning for two things I'll truly miss: Kelly Faris and the old Big East.

I'll also miss a true warrior, along with Kelly, a certain Miss Doty.

Reaction Score
Natalie Achonwa was good enough to be a starter for the Canadian Olympic Team last summer.

Post players can only do so much if their guards don't get them the ball in the right place.

I think Achonwa has become a good blue collar player. She will never be a great scorer, although I think she doubled her ppg average this year.

Next year ND will need to find a point guard. I am not a big Lindsay Allen fan, so I think it will be Lloyd, or McBride. Reimer should make Achonwa's job easier by adding a second true post player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They lose Diggins, but next year they can start McBride, Lloyd, Braker, Achonwa and ?Reimer?....good starting lineup. With Wright, Cable, Mabrey and Allen coming off the bench. Could be pretty formidable team. Glad we don't have to play them 4 times again.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
ND will be great next year...too bad we won't play them much anymore. It makes everyone better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They lose Diggins, but next year they can start McBride, Lloyd, Braker, Achonwa and ?Reimer?....good starting lineup. With Wright, Cable, Mabrey and Allen coming off the bench. Could be pretty formidable team. Glad we don't have to play them 4 times again.
You know, setting aside tonight's game, I can envision a scenario where the opponent may not matter all that much for next three seasons. I agree that ND has a lot of pieces and may be very good, but we have the potential to be scary good.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its simply we got into Diggins and Kmacks heads and it overflowed. They didn't have to many easy chances to score and their dribble penetration was blocked a lot. Back doors worked and the foul line kept them in the game. Plain and simple we got into their heads.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No idea who the 5th starter will be. I will be very curious to see how Reimer develops. She's still rated so high, but hasn't stood out at all in any of the AA games or even in any of the international games (U18 or whatever) to my recollection. Isn't Bracker more of a forward? Maybe they start one of those guards you mentioned over Reimer...

Reaction Score
Its simply we got into Diggins and Kmacks heads and it overflowed. They didn't have to many easy chances to score and their dribble penetration was blocked a lot. Back doors worked and the foul line kept them in the game. Plain and simple we got into their heads.

I always have a hard time reading Skylar, but at the half- time interview, you could tell Kayla's mind was racing...for her, fatigue might have been a good thing...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You know, setting aside tonight's game, I can envision a scenario where the opponent may not matter all that much for next three seasons. I agree that ND has a lot of pieces and may be very good, but we have the potential to be scary good.
Could well be. That would be nice. :)

Reaction Score
I always have a hard time reading Skylar, but at the half- time interview, you could tell Kayla's mind was racing...for her, fatigue might have been a good thing...

did you notice Skylar refused to be interviewed, and McBride was chosen at the last second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom