OMG Rutgers loses to .... BC | The Boneyard

OMG Rutgers loses to .... BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
58-56

The same Eagle team that lost to BU and Sacred Heart.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
58-56

The same Eagle team that lost to BU and Sacred Heart.
OK, is it time to label Stringer as the problem? She has lost her key assistants in recent years, and I don't even know if she has any competent assistants right now. Clearly coaching at RU is suspect.

Reaction Score
At what point does C Viv start worrying about her job? She has had a boatload of talent in recent years, but year after year can't seem to put all the pieces together to assemble a program that can win games over teams they should easily beat.

Glad I am not a RU fan.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect CViv leaves only when CViv wants to do so. Her history, books, awards, etc I suspect give her an untouchble status at RU. Program just not thatbig a deal for admin to want to take on the fight she might put up. Besides, who wants our own Coach Dailey conflicted?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I suspect CViv leaves only when CViv wants to do so. Her history, books, awards, etc I suspect give her an untouchble status at RU. Program just not thatbig a deal for admin to want to take on the fight she might put up. Besides, who wants our own Coach Dailey conflicted?
There are very few coaches in WCBB that are untouchable and Stringer is not one of them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know it's a bad day to hear from our RU posters, but I'm curious what they think is going on. We all know RU generally starts slowly, but losing to BC? That's gotta be a low point in recent RU history.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Ahhhh..it is the annual CViv can she coach thread!! It must mean the holidays are here!!

We still need the ranking of the RU recruiting classes, the finding of RU being in the top 10 recruiting classes over the last five years, and the CViv apologists making their annual trip to the altar to defend. We also need the chorus singing how she decks the Hall of Fame.

Its a lot like Festivus - for the rest of us.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Rutgers shoots 38.1% as a team, 26.2% from beyond the arc. (YTD team stats) Collectively, the Scarlet Knights have 113 turnovers to 74 assists :eek: and are averaging 56.5 points a game. They've also been outrebounded by teams that, one would think, don't come close to RU in ability. That ain't gonna get 'er done.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I watched Rutgers play Davidson a couple of weeks ago, a game Rutgers barely won after trailing for most of it. I was shocked by how much difficulty Rutgers had in that game, at both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
With the move to the B10, RU suddenly has a bunch more money to spend on things like buying out someone's contract. I think she gets one more year to show improvement or she'll be gone.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
With the move to the B10, RU suddenly has a bunch more money to spend on things like buying out someone's contract. I think she gets one more year to show improvement or she'll be gone.
Not sure RU will see a cash bonanza for a few years, because I think the B1G delays full payout to new members for several years, and RU probably has to buy out of the BE.

Reaction Score
Rutgers shoots 38.1% as a team, 26.2% from beyond the arc. (YTD team stats) Collectively, the Scarlet Knights have 113 turnovers to 74 assists :eek: and are averaging 56.5 points a game. They've also been outrebounded by teams that, one would think, don't come close to RU in ability. That ain't gonna get 'er done.
Well, recent history shows Rutgers ALWAYS looks terrible at the beginning of the year and then recovers (plays better) at the end. Think of recent years when they looked to be out of the tournament and then came on in a rush at the end of the year. I like CViv, but agree with many posters that she needs an assistant who knows how to coach a consistent offense.

Reaction Score
Not sure RU will see a cash bonanza for a few years, because I think the B1G delays full payout to new members for several years, and RU probably has to buy out of the BE.

Technically yes, but money is fungible. Generally you can start spending money now that you are sure to have in the future.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Technically yes, but money is fungible. Generally you can start spending money now that you are sure to have in the future.
True. I don't know what Stringer's contract situation is. And then there's the issue of finding a replacement.

Reaction Score
True. I don't know what Stringer's contract situation is. And then there's the issue of finding a replacement.

unlikely, but here's a funny one: Kim Barnes-Arico. she'd have B10 experience and NYC roots.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well, recent history shows Rutgers ALWAYS looks terrible at the beginning of the year and then recovers (plays better) at the end. Think of recent years when they looked to be out of the tournament and then came on in a rush at the end of the year. I like CViv, but agree with many posters that she needs an assistant who knows how to coach a consistent offense.
That may be, but you have a team that starts 3 seniors (Lee, Oliver, Wheeler), and 2 sophomores (Laney and either Canty or Davis) . How is it that a team comprised of that much experience needs have a season to start to gel? What do these kids do in the offseason? Sure Lee is coming back from an injury, but with all that talent, it seems pretty inexcusable...

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
unlikely, but here's a funny one: Kim Barnes-Arico. she'd have B10 experience and NYC roots.
RU could certainly do much worse, but KBA could have Michigan in good shape soon and might not want to leave Ann Arbor

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
RU is 3-3 so far. Here's how it did in previous years:

2007-08 5-1 with the only loss being a 2 point loss to Stanford
2008-09 4-2 losses to Stanford and Cal
2009-10 4-2 Loss to Stanford and a 1 point loss to Georgia
2010-11 4-2 losses to Stanford and Cal
2011-12 6-0 (no Stanford on the schedule)

Reaction Score
If your head coach is making in the $1M neighborhood, you shouldn't have to count on an assistant to get a talented team to compete successfully against low-level opponents like BC.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Why did they get so bad so fast? I remember, and not so long ago, when they were the no. 2 foe for us in WCBB.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why did they get so bad so fast? I remember, and not so long ago, when they were the no. 2 foe for us in WCBB.
Associate Head Coach Jolette Law left in May 2007 after 12 years
Assistant Coach Marianne Stanley left in May 2008 after 2 years
Assistant Coach Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil left In May 2009 after 1 year
Assistant Coach Ron Hughey left in May 2010 after 1 year
Associate Head Coach Carlene Mitchell left in May 2011 after 10 years

Reaction Score
Just got back from the BC game. RU got off to a slow start, which is their pattern so far this year. The lack of a point guard is definitely one problem. There is also no real leader on the floor. Oliver is a pretty quiet kid and Wheeler is more of a jokester. The current coaching staff includes Tia Jackson, who has had head coaching experience, but all of the current assistants played for Cviv, so one could argue that we might be better served by having someone on the staff who has coached a different system. IMO We were definitely better when Marianne Stanley was on the staff. Our zone defense has also been problematic and we aren't very good at defending the 3. BC shot almost 50% from the floor and were 8 of 17 from 3. I think we will improve, but as a RU fan, we could be in for a tough season. I don't think firing Coach Stringer is the answer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom