Olympics Basketball | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Olympics Basketball

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
US in the first quarter when Serbia gained a big lead.

IMG_5998.jpeg

US in the 4th quarter during the comeback:

IMG_5999.jpeg

Reaction Score
Game was decided when Serbia missed a wide open three with 2:30 left that would've put them up 5 and then Curry came down and hit another three.

Found myself rooting for Serbia.
USA was fortunate with that miss for sure, but that is also game pressure because USA closed the gap. USA missed their fair share of open 3s in that game and FTs, too. If USA makes some of those earlier in the game they still would be in a deficit but it would not have been as large.

Having said that Serbia played well and Kerr didn't manage the rotations all that well.

Reaction Score
get this gold this year but I'm worried once the old guard Bron/KD/Steph are gone, call me an old hater but these young guys just don't have that extra level that that era has. At 22 years old KD was already putting the US on his back at the 2010 World Cup, these other guys haven't come close to that at the senior level of FIBA comp. Anthony Edwards looked in over his head today.

Reaction Score
Game was decided when Serbia missed a wide open three with 2:30 left that would've put them up 5 and then Curry came down and hit another three.

Found myself rooting for Serbia.
Why would you root for Serbia?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
get this gold this year but I'm worried once the old guard Bron/KD/Steph are gone, call me an old hater but these young guys just don't have that extra level that that era has. At 22 years old KD was already putting the US on his back at the 2010 World Cup, these other guys haven't come close to that at the senior level of FIBA comp. Anthony Edwards looked in over his head today.
It’s Edward’s, Booker, and Tatum moving forward. Tatum didn’t even play today.

Reaction Score
Family is from Serbia, Jokic is my favorite player, huge underdogs......distant reason- Embiid is my least favorite player ever.
Fair I guess, but then why would you “find yourself” rooting for them? All the reasons you listed were known commodities before the game started.

Reaction Score
It’s Edward’s, Booker, and Tatum moving forward. Tatum didn’t even play today.
yea and that's the problem lol, Ant just has way too many space cadet moments for my liking, and was pretty much useless tonight. Hopefully Tatum wants to play in 2028 after this run, you need guys that can just get the ball and say we're getting a basket here and I don't think those guys can do that like KD/Bron can. Tatum's offensive process seems to be getting even worse now as he gets older.

Reaction Score
Man what a game. Wish that was the final instead of the semis.

Reaction Score
Fair I guess, but then why would you “find yourself” rooting for them? All the reasons you listed were known commodities before the game started.
I get what he is saying and am in the same boat. Ostensibly, I was pulling for the US. But when I sat down to watch the game I found myself leaning the other direction. Just a combination of Jokic being my favorite player and cheering for the underdog I suppose. Not at all unhappy with the outcome though, was a great game.

Reaction Score
Because I didn't know how I would feel and didn't think Serbia had any chance. I started watching second half when Serbia had the nice lead and really found myself pulling for them to hold on and win it.

Reaction Score
I get what he is saying and am in the same boat. Ostensibly, I was pulling for the US. But when I sat down to watch the game I found myself leaning the other direction. Just a combination of Jokic being my favorite player and cheering for the underdog I suppose. Not at all unhappy with the outcome though, was a great game.
I’m not one of those root for US no matter what people, but seeing Bron, Steph and KD on the same team competing for their last Olympic gold, can’t really imagine not rooting for them. Unless there are connections to the other team, like superjohn mentioned I guess.

Reaction Score
I’m not one of those root for US no matter what people, but seeing Bron, Steph and KD on the same team competing for their last Olympic gold, can’t really imagine not rooting for them. Unless there are connections to the other team, like superjohn mentioned I guess.
I like Jokic more than all of those combined, though I don't dislike any of them. I think it has more of a positive impact on Jokic's legacy than it has a negative impact on any of the US players. Would have been an all time achievement if Serbia could have pulled off gold.

Reaction Score
yea and that's the problem lol, Ant just has way too many space cadet moments for my liking, and was pretty much useless tonight. Hopefully Tatum wants to play in 2028 after this run, you need guys that can just get the ball and say we're getting a basket here and I don't think those guys can do that like KD/Bron can. Tatum's offensive process seems to be getting even worse now as he gets older.
That's the key word, processing. Ant Edwards is playing faster than he can process the game. Tatum doesn't keep the ball moving because he is too slow processing the opposing team's defensive rotations.

Reaction Score
Don't worry. 2028 Dan Hurley will be leading a starting 5 of Tatum, Castle, Clingan, Flagg and Embiid to gold in LA. Lebron will be an assistant coach and Bronny James coming off the bench!

Reaction Score
This begs the question, other than Pop, which coach would be the next best coach to lead Team USA in the Olympics?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
That was interesting…..I was in a poker room and they had the game on it was interesting to watch the overall reaction. It was pretty close on who was rooting for who. It was not overwhelming a US leaning crowd. Clearly not many on the Yard thought Serbia had a chance to beat the US.

Jokic is the best player on the planet and he did exactly what I thought he would do. He made every player on the floor playing with him better. But Steph in the clutch on top of KD and LeBron is clearly a tough ask.

I did think if anyone could beat them it would have been Serbia because of the Joker. Even with the home crowd I think they roll France. Serbia shot the lights out in the first half not sure France can shoot it that good.

This is like the rest of the field against UConn last year. They were beatable but to do so you had to play a perfect game and shoot the lights out.

Reaction Score
This begs the question, other than Pop, which coach would be the next best coach to lead Team USA in the Olympics?
Pop was atrocious too, the US was a disaster in the World Cup and then KD saved him in the last Olympics. If they keep it NBA I'd rather see Spo take over the reigns, college would be Hurley.

Reaction Score
Kerr embarrassed Tatum today with a DNP, when it was clear he needed length and scoring on the perimeter. Someone who could switch like Tatum. Made no sense. Tatum was 2nd in scoring on the last USA team to win Olympic Gold, dominated in the NBA Title clinching game, and a Top 5 player in the world. Kerr was very fortunate that the team came back in the 4th after they looked gassed for 3 quarters. He was badly outcoached and an idiot for not giving Tatum any minutes.

Reaction Score
I could only watch the last 5 or so minutes but it was beautiful

Lebron bullying his way to the rim for a layup. Followed by a Steph 3. Followed by another Lebron bully ball layup. Followed by a KD iso midrange. These dudes have perfected their specialties for 15+ years and just hit them back to back to back to finish a 17 point comeback. After this summer we won't ever see these guys on the same team going 110% together again

Hope it's less stressful on Saturday, but LET'S GO USA!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHuski

Top Bottom