Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That first half by Stewie was remindful of her half [second?] against ND in the semifinals of
the NCAA in her frosh year....2013. We had lost 3 games that year to ND..all very tight.
Stewie made sure 'twas not 4 in a row...don't remember who we beat in the finals but beat them we did.
That started a nice run against ND...marked in her soph year by a finals win over them in the only match-up of 2 undefeated teams.
She did the same in the finals against Louisville

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It was a wonderful game (if you like Stewie), hit the full arsenal.

We would have won by 40 if the (so-called) scrubs hadn't
played like typical UConn scrubs (historically) ...

Couldn't buy a shot and moved the ball ineffectively...And that was theoretically a pretty powerful lineup (names omitted). Sue running the point is a big (positive) difference.
The team will have that next time around with Paige and Co.

Earlier, even the Yankees finally started to hit as we watched at the stadium.

All in all, a heck of a sports night, into the wee hours...

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Not to get too far ahead of ourselves [we NEVER do that on the Boneyard] but I see Paige on the 2022 World Cup team....and with some good fortune regarding health...on the 2024 Paris team going smoothly from graduation in May of 2024 to the Olympics later that summer.

Dee/Stewie/Candace Parker also had that same jump...grad to Olympics...any others?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not to get too far ahead of ourselves [we NEVER do that on the Boneyard] but I see Paige on the 2022 World Cup team....and with some good fortune regarding health...on the 2024 Paris team going smoothly from graduation in May of 2024 to the Olympics later that summer.

Dee/Stewie/Candace Parker also had that same jump...grad to Olympics...any others?
Rebecca Lobo?

Reaction Score
Stewie with an outstanding 1st half 20pts (2-3 from 3) 5 RB 2 Blocks 2 Assists . When she is at the top of her game, just poetry.

Australia vs. United States - Box Score - August 4, 2021 - ESPN

and for those mercilessly going after Chelsey Gray, when she is on, she is very very good.
I was one of those going after Gray and she deserved it at the time but she significantly reduced the dribbling this morning and was looking to pass first now instead of setting up her own shot. I doubt it was just by happenstance but you never know because the team played more like a team than ever before. One of the consequences of the front line of Stewie, Wilson and Griner and also Charles and Fowles is that they have more touches where they are not in scoring position and have to pass and Griner is clearly the worst of the group. The 3 guard offense with Stewie and Wilson is a good alternative at times. No one will beat them if they play like this morning from here on in. One final note, it may not be clear to the new spectator watching these games so far that D is the Goat but it sure as heck is clearer about Bird. She is a marvel and subtly controls every game she plays.

Reaction Score
She trained with her national team which is likely part of her basketball life for a number of years going forward, and...she represented her country in the Olympics - that's quite an honor, no? Olympics with national team versus Storrs summer practice - what's to choose?
I personal believe that training with the Canadian National team provided a much broader Hoop learning experience than an equal amount of time this summer at Storrs.
Also, the international game is MUCH more physical than NCAA or US pro and this will make even more aggressive in the middle.
Plus, it’s an honor.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Entertaining game here. France had a stretch in 3Q where they were absolutely torching the nets, ran out to a 10-point lead, and looked like they might run away with it. But Spain has responded and this is a tight game early 4Q.

Reaction Score
That first half by Stewie was remindful of her half [second?] against ND in the semifinals of
the NCAA in her frosh year....2013. We had lost 3 games that year to ND..all very tight.
Stewie made sure 'twas not 4 in a row...don't remember who we beat in the finals but beat them we did.
That started a nice run against ND...marked in her soph year by a finals win over them in the only match-up of 2 undefeated teams.
Geno always said in big games all he had to do was look at Stewie, she would have her game face, and he knew it was Coach I got this.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gabby plays a key role down the stretch with 3/4 FT's and aggressive play to secure the 67-64 win but Spain shot themselves in both feet. Corzola lets a pass slip off her hands in the corner and Spain does not foul to send France to the FT line with 3+ seconds. Sacre Bleu

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
CL82: almost but not quite. Rebecca graduated in 1995...Olympics in 1996.

Reaction Score
Three from the same group into the SFs. France has a chance for revenge against Japan, which has been playing tough in the home soil. But US has too much firepower for Serbia and their fellow Group dwellers. Still, would like to see France with Gabby going for gold against USA (even if a losing cause).

One wonders what happens to USA team after Sue and (even a not full strength) Dee are gone next time around? The other guards on this team are uninspiring (except when CGray is on.....she needs to find a way to be on most of the time, though).

Ah, that's why Blakeon18 is looking forward to Paige in 2024! And I would include Caitlin Clark, too!

Reaction Score
As the game was starting, I texted a couple of friends and said: "We have Stewie and they don't." She was really, really, really good--against the #2 team in the world. Sue and Dee were able to rest the entire 4th quarter.

It was an odd box score with 0 points combined for Jewell and Tina. Sue shot 3-4, all from the arc, and tallied 5 assists and 0 turnovers. What is her Olympic assist total? Does she have the record?

Wonder what would have happened if Australia's post player had been there, instead of taking the Olympics off? The best post in the world against Stewie & Co?

Wonder what would have been...

Reaction Score
not sure who objectically thought Canada had any shot at medaling. France Usa China Australia are all better than they are and then you take into effect Serbia Japan and Belgium idk where they were going to come close to medaling. Kia Nurse has been inconsistent with the mercury and she is arguably the best player on the team. Achonwa just has too much injury history to ever be relied on. What I don't get is why they called up Edwards if they had no intention of giving her playing time. It seems it might have been better to just stay in Storrs training with her teammates.
Agree with your thoughts on Canada as a whole but not Edwards. No one ever knows what the future will hold, so why pass up a potentially once in a lifetime chance to experience the Olympics?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno always said in big games all he had to do was look at Stewie, she would have her game face, and he knew it was Coach I got this.

Even among the greatest of the great, Stewie stands out

This time, when it mattered, U.S. pummels Australia, makes semifinals - StarTribune.com

Stewart scored 10 first-quarter points and finished with a game-high 23, adding five rebounds, three assists and two blocked shots.

"She's a special player and a special person,'' USA forward Diana Taurasi said.

"What she's doing is even more incredible because she's playing out of position,'' said USA guard Sue Bird.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"What she's doing is even more incredible because she's playing out of position,'' said USA guard Sue Bird.
Thank you Sue. About time somebody on the team said it. Best player in the world asked to play out of position to benefit the team. No complaints from Stewie. She just plays.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Three from the same group into the SFs. France has a chance for revenge against Japan, which has been playing tough in the home soil. But US has too much firepower for Serbia and their fellow Group dwellers. Still, would like to see France with Gabby going for gold against USA (even if a losing cause).

One wonders what happens to USA team after Sue and (even a not full strength) Dee are gone next time around? The other guards on this team are uninspiring (except when CGray is on.....she needs to find a way to be on most of the time, though).

Ah, that's why Blakeon18 is looking forward to Paige in 2024! And I would include Caitlin Clark, too!
Paige/Caitlin/Sabrina....talented guard group triple...Paris/Los Angeles/Brisbane in 2032...add Azzi for a
home run.

USA women's basketball in good shape despite the world getting better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thank you Sue. About time somebody on the team said it. Best player in the world asked to play out of position to benefit the team. No complaints from Stewie. She just plays.
Dawn knows that very well

Additional Quotes: USA 79, Australia 55 (usab.com)

Breanna Stewart had 20 points in the first 20 minutes. You've seen a lot of USA Basketball. Is that one of the better performances you've seen from an individual on the offensive end?

Yes. Stewie (Breanna Stewart) is, by far … I've seen her in USA Basketball over the past eight years, how much she's grown. And she probably doesn't even remember in 2016, she didn't really play as much, but she took notes. And when you're in your first Olympic Games, there's a lot of note taking. And I think she’s primed to perform this way for our basketball team and in more Olympic Games. But the way she did it, inside, outside, she was unconscious. She took great shots. She was efficient. But really what stands out to me, we know Stewie can score, is her defensive effort. We asked her to chase those guards around, something that she doesn't do a whole lot. And she's committed to it, and she got deflections. She got block shots. She's just in plays. So super proud of the all-around effort that she gave us.

What is not mentioned enough is how she releases the pressure in the backcourt with a much improved handle and perfectly weighted passes.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I was one of those going after Gray and she deserved it at the time but she significantly reduced the dribbling this morning and was looking to pass first now instead of setting up her own shot. I doubt it was just by happenstance but you never know because the team played more like a team than ever before. One of the consequences of the front line of Stewie, Wilson and Griner and also Charles and Fowles is that they have more touches where they are not in scoring position and have to pass and Griner is clearly the worst of the group. The 3 guard offense with Stewie and Wilson is a good alternative at times. No one will beat them if they play like this morning from here on in. One final note, it may not be clear to the new spectator watching these games so far that D is the Goat but it sure as heck is clearer about Bird. She is a marvel and subtly controls every game she plays.

Staley also had BOTH Bird and Gray out there at the same time for big periods, particularly in the 2nd quarter. Kara Lawson commented on how the advantage of that lineup is it gives you great facilitators on both sides of the floor. They also happened to be the two best guards for team USA last night (Loyd, DT, SDS, and Atkins went a combined 3-18 from the floor).

In terms of longterm guard play, I, like most, have mixed feelings on Arike. But I could see her playing a super sub off the bench role--similar to what Angel has done on the Olympics teams in the past.

Reaction Score
Agree with your thoughts on Canada as a whole but not Edwards. No one ever knows what the future will hold, so why pass up a potentially once in a lifetime chance to experience the Olympics?

Canada has both Edwards AND Nurse. Those two alone make them strong. No slouches in the international game.

Reaction Score

Ionescu

Reaction Score
Canada has both Edwards AND Nurse. Those two alone make them strong. No slouches in the international game.
No other credible scoring threat to force opponents from keying in on Nurse, except maybe Carleton, who did play better as the tourney went along..
No outside scoring other than Kia - team tied for fewest made 3ppg in the tournament (shot < 30% from three).
Behind Achonwa, no inside depth - not much height to begin with. When your next leading rebounder is Carleton (listed as a guard on the roster), that's a problem.
Too many holes in the makeup of the team and not sure if any relief is coming from junior players. Also, maybe Coach Thomaidis has brought this team as far as it will go under her watch. Results here and in the Americup in June were disappointing, to say the least.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Ionescu
Vowelguy's answer as to who will fill the guard position on the next Olympic team.

I can't give a precise response, but it would not surprise me one little, tiny bit if two of the future US team guards presently appear on the current UConn roster...

Say, Paige +1 (to be determined)...+ Catlin?
Why do I think Ionescu will fade?
No answer.

Wipe the table clean of everyone currently playing 4 and 5 (except Stewie, if that's where she plays).

Reaction Score
Vowelguy's answer as to who will fill the guard position on the next Olympic team.

I can't give a precise response, but it would not surprise me one little, tiny bit if two of the future US team guards presently appear on the current UConn roster...

Say, Paige +1 (to be determined)...+ Catlin?
Why do I think Ionescu will fade?
No answer.

Wipe the table clean of everyone currently playing 4 and 5 (except Stewie, if that's where she plays).
Stewie will play wherever she is needed. Notice how often she is bringing the ball up the floor on the current team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom