Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USA wins 93-82. A'ja Wilson led the way with 22 pts on 9-12 shooting, with 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block. Breanna Stewart scored 17 pts on 7-14 shooting, with 7 rebounds, and 7 assists, and Tina Charles stormed in the 2nd half to score 11 of her 15 pts after halftime - she shot 6-9, and added 5 assists.

Brittney Griner added 11 pts on 5-9 shooting, with 3 rebounds. Jewel Lloyd came off the bench to lead the team with 8 assists. Overall, the team had 30 assists and 30 total rebounds. They had 30 assists on 35 made field goals. Not too shabby.......

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the loss, Gabby Williams was extremely active especially on the defensive end with 6 steals. A few 3pt shots and challenging the US bigs. Just like Stewie is the most valuable player measured by minutes on the court, Gabby was the minutes leader for France by quite a bit,.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
France keeping the game close probably means that Canada will not be in the Medal Round. USA had to beat France by 14+ points to eliminate France from the Medal Round.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
France keeping the game close probably means that Canada will not be in the Medal Round. USA had to beat France by 14+ points to eliminate France from the Medal Round.
Likely so, but the outcome of the Australia-Puerto Rico game also affects this picture. The top two 3rd-place teams will advance. Canada and France finished 3rd in Groups A and B, each at 1-2, but France holds the tiebreaker edge over Canada in point differential (+11 to +7).

Australia and Puerto Rico are both 0-2 in Group C. Puerto Rico is probably the weakest team in the field, though, and so Australia should be able to not only win but also improve significantly on their point differential, currently at -17.

So if my math is correct, Australia needs to beat Puerto Rico by at least 24 points. Highly doable, considering that Puerto Rico lost to China by 42 and to Belgium by 35.

Reaction Score
Anybody else annoyed by Kara Lawson as a live color announcer? She has nothing good to say about Taurasi and she's just dull. The UConn jealousy lives on..
To be fair I didn't watch the game but generally speaking Lawson is one of the best announcers in the game and is very professional. I doubt she has any Uconn jealously by this point in her life. Diana played 11 minutes and scored 3 points. I would expect most of Lawson's time was discussing other players on the floor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A couple of things amused me at the end of the game. France ran out the clock by dribbling around despite being down. I don't like points as being the determining factor in advancing, but I suppose having the losing team run out the clock is better than a foul fest at the end of the game. If you watch the reactions of both teams after the game one would think France won the game and the USA lost. Hey guys, you lost.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Anybody else annoyed by Kara Lawson as a live color announcer? She has nothing good to say about Taurasi and she's just dull. The UConn jealousy lives on..
When a UConn alum plays poorly, it’s not jealousy to point it out. I would find Kara annoying if she gushed over someone who didn’t deserve it but I’ve never heard her do that so it seems odd to expect it now.

Kara is one of the best sportscasters around. She’s very fair and objective in her statements, to the point she was elected an unofficial Boneyarder a few years ago.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
A couple of things amused me at the end of the game. France ran out the clock by dribbling around despite being down. I don't like points as being the determining factor in advancing, but I suppose having the losing team run out the clock is better than a foul fest at the end of the game. If you watch the reactions of both teams after the game one would think France won the game and the USA lost. Hey guys, you lost.
Every countrys' goal is to get to the medal round. France put up a great fight and played a great game. With about a minute left and down by 11, they could see that there was no way of winning this game, but there was still the chance to get to the medal round where anything could happen. If the lead got to 14 their dreams would have been crushed, and their valiant effort against the best in the world would have been in vane. They did the right thing, because this team is pretty good and they do indeed have a good chance for a medal.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As much as I want Kia Nurse to succeed, I have no faith in the Canada team. They do not play an attractive style. Would not mind Australia without Cambage advancing.

Edit Well, Australia only up 1. 45-44 at half PR has some nice guard play. If they only had some size

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow. Tina Charles was dominant this game. Shades of her UConn days. I cant see this U.S. team losing. Too many weapons, even if someone has an off-night.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
OMG 96-69. PR falls apart in 4Q. I think that means Australia in and Canada out..

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
PR fell apart in the 3rd (23-8) and 4th (28-17). Canada is done.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
So: who do we next play? When...day and our time? Channel?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
USA v AUS Wed @ 12:40 am. Team USA's designated time slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom