Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Stewie will play wherever she is needed. Notice how often she is bringing the ball up the floor on the current team.
TBH I think the only players on this team guaranteed a spot in the 2024 Olympics, barring injury, are Stewart and Wilson. Loyd, Gray and Collier should all remain a part of the core squad, but I wouldn't consider them locks yet. Atkins might continue to improve or I could see her fading off.

Bird, DT, SDS, Charles, Fowles, Griner will all be 33 or above-->maybe 1 or 2 are still at top of their game in 3 years, but Bird is the exception to the rule, imo.

Reaction Score
I want to take this opportunity to express my opinion that NBC, USA, or whatever you call it is providing the worst video coverage of women's basketball in an Olympics I have ever seen. It is clear that the camera people think that a bird's eye view is a good way to watch the sport which tells me that they have never covered the sport. It makes me dizzy. It always comes at the wrong time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With Cambage out, I thought that a Spain and Belgium were the 2 most dangerous teams. I know France and Japan--both from our bracket--were pretty good, but I didn't expect them to beat Spain and Belgium, respectively.

Reaction Score
With Cambage out, I thought that a Spain and Belgium were the 2 most dangerous teams. I know France and Japan--both from our bracket--were pretty good, but I didn't expect them to beat Spain and Belgium, respectively.
Serbia is going to have nightmares defending Griner, A'ja, and Stewie. The speed of Stewie, A'ja, and Britney is something they haven't seen.

Reaction Score
Semi-final games,
Aug. 6 , Japan time.
USA vs. Serbia, 13:40
France vs. Japan, 20:00

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
CL82: almost but not quite. Rebecca graduated in 1995...Olympics in 1996.
Thanks! I couldn't remember but, I knew someone would know.

Reaction Score
Vowelguy's answer as to who will fill the guard position on the next Olympic team.

I can't give a precise response, but it would not surprise me one little, tiny bit if two of the future US team guards presently appear on the current UConn roster...

Say, Paige +1 (to be determined)...+ Catlin?
Why do I think Ionescu will fade?
No answer.

Wipe the table clean of everyone currently playing 4 and 5 (except Stewie, if that's where she plays).
I agree with you 100%. If not starting UCONN guards then at least very significant minutes for them (assuming the kid who has not played 1 minute of D1 hoops lives up to at least 80% of the hype about her).

Reaction Score
Ionescu seems a lock for the 2022 world championships, which would then be the stepping stone to 2024.

Reaction Score
Staley also had BOTH Bird and Gray out there at the same time for big periods, particularly in the 2nd quarter. Kara Lawson commented on how the advantage of that lineup is it gives you great facilitators on both sides of the floor. They also happened to be the two best guards for team USA last night (Loyd, DT, SDS, and Atkins went a combined 3-18 from the floor).

In terms of longterm guard play, I, like most, have mixed feelings on Arike. But I could see her playing a super sub off the bench role--similar to what Angel has done on the Olympics teams in the past.
DT is not a facilitator? I admit that she hasn't played as we all had hoped but she made some great passes today, stabilizes the team, and is a presence out there. Gray played well, had 8 assists, and can score but unlike others on this site, I think there is still a lingering "thing" with Lawson about D which may be subliminal but it is there nevertheless so she is not quotable in my mind in this analysis.

The team really stunk before D got there and even Dawn talked about how D's personality changed everything. I think there are very subtle things on this team that matter such as Bird controlling the flow, starting the offense and D knowing exactly where the ball should next go. This is an inside team, and there are only 3 guards that can get the ball in there in the right place at the right time. How anyone thought that scoring guards would help this team is beyond me. How about a natural scoring 3? I would rather have had a KLS type, a tall spot up deadeye 3 point shooter to open the middle.They are going to win and it should be convincingly since they have figured each other out. I say let D and Sue go out the right way.

Reaction Score
DT is not a facilitator? I admit that she hasn't played as we all had hoped but she made some great passes today, stabilizes the team, and is a presence out there. Gray played well, had 8 assists, and can score but unlike others on this site, I think there is still a lingering "thing" with Lawson about D which may be subliminal but it is there nevertheless so she is not quotable in my mind in this analysis.

The team really stunk before D got there and even Dawn talked about how D's personality changed everything. I think there are very subtle things on this team that matter such as Bird controlling the flow, starting the offense and D knowing exactly where the ball should next go. This is an inside team, and there are only 3 guards that can get the ball in there in the right place at the right time. How anyone thought that scoring guards would help this team is beyond me. How about a natural scoring 3? I would rather have had a KLS type, a tall spot up deadeye 3 point shooter to open the middle.They are going to win and it should be convincingly since they have figured each other out. I say let D and Sue go out the right way.
There is no way Stewie is letting Sue and Dee go out without the Gold. I don't think you have seen the best yet this tournament from Stewie. This is the time that Geno always wanted Stewie to do something spectacular.
We almost had it on the 3 PT shot she blocked and was going for a spectacular breakaway, but they called a shot clock violation.

HHH

Hartford Hall Husky
Reaction Score
I can't give a precise response, but it would not surprise me one little, tiny bit if two of the future US team guards presently appear on the current UConn roster...Wipe the table clean of everyone currently playing 4 and 5 (except Stewie, if that's where she plays).

Hold up, hold up...so what I'm hearing...what I'm hearing is that Breanna Stewart and Paige Bueckers might end up playing on the same team...on the same court...at the same time...at the 2024 Paris Olympics??? Would that even be fair?? How many points would the USA have to spot the other teams? <Eyes glaze over as he leans back to consider the possibilities...> ;)

Reaction Score
Vowelguy's answer as to who will fill the guard position on the next Olympic team.

I can't give a precise response, but it would not surprise me one little, tiny bit if two of the future US team guards presently appear on the current UConn roster...

Say, Paige +1 (to be determined)...+ Catlin?
Why do I think Ionescu will fade?
No answer.

Wipe the table clean of everyone currently playing 4 and 5 (except Stewie, if that's where she plays).
Not 100% sure Paige will be ready. Paige will be one year younger than Sue Bird was in 2004, but SB already played two years in the WNBA. Very difficult to go from Yukon to Olympic team. Not impossible, but difficult. Pheesa has played two years in the WNBA and is riding the bench. AE didn't play much either. Time will tell.

I'm not sure why, but Ionescu seems to be on the outside of the USWNT bubble.

Reaction Score
Not 100% sure Paige will be ready. Paige will be one year younger than Sue Bird was in 2004, but SB already played two years in the WNBA. Very difficult to go from UConn to Olympic team. Not impossible, but difficult. Pheesa has played two years in the WNBA and is riding the bench. AE didn't play much either. Time will tell.

I'm not sure why, but Ionescu seems to be on the outside of the USWNT bubble.
They probably are waiting for Ionescu to have a healthy season. She is more a combo guard part Sue, and part Dee, which would be good for 2024.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
With the way she played last year the only real lock she has is the one on her locker.

She didn't play last year she was hurt. And she has still been playing hurt THIS season. It will be interesting to see if the Olympic break affords her some healing time and is able to bounce back. When she is healthy she's as good as anybody.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She didn't play last year she was hurt. And she has still been playing hurt THIS season. It will be interesting to see if the Olympic break affords her some healing time and is able to bounce back. When she is healthy she's as good as anybody.
Sorry. I meant this year.

Reaction Score
She spends a lot of time on the court standing still. That doesn’t fly on an Olympic team. If you want to say it’s because she is still injured, I’m not on board with that justification.

Reaction Score
Seeing the physicality of international play, I think Paige will need to put on some muscle to be ready for 2024. She has the time to do that. I'm sure Nika can give her an idea of what she will face playing internationally. Her past USA basketball experience won't be the same as she was playing with girls her own age whereas in the Olympics or World Cup she will be playing with older women in their prime. And to use an over used phrase, "old age and wisdom will always overcome youth and skill." ;)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
While it's clear Ionescu has not been at 100%, it's unclear if she's at 70% or 90% (or 50%). Either way, the idea that she has stunk it up this year is plain false.

For the season, she's averaging 10ppg, 6apg (good for 4th in the league, though she's only 0.1 assists out of second place), and 5.7rpg. Where she HAS not been great is 2-pt shooting; her FG% is a rotten 35.2% (Though her 3-pt percentage is 37%, which is pretty decent). She has done this all without the center piece post player the Liberty signed to run pick and rolls with her (Natasha Howard).

Has she been as good as the hype? No, she has not yet. But it's clear she already has top level court vision and can advance the ball with the best of them. How well she can score at the next level is TBD.

This has also been her first full year in the league; I'm hopeful we can see her next season, with both her and the key Liberty pieces fully healthy. I think a season where she leads the league in the assists is coming sooner rather than later.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

Well, SDS is a scoring guard, but she's also Phx's PG (is 6th in league at 5.2apg) and you'd figure has plenty of experience getting the ball in the post by playing with Griner. Atkins is an excellent 3-pt shooter and perimeter defender, which the team otherwise lacked. Arike is certainly not a pass-first guard.

The problem for team USA is there is no "natural scoring 3" that fits the mold you're looking for right now. KLS was on the 3x3 team, and besides, she's shooting a pedestrian 34% from 3-pt range this year. The only "wing" that might fit the bill is Betnijah Laney, but she wasn't even in the USA pole of players (a result of her coming out of nowhere to be very good). I'm a huge fan of Courtney Williams, but she's only 5-8 (and I guess they preferred Atkins). Deshields has been underwhelming. EDD is injured. Aysha Clark is injured. Hayes is injured. Angel is injured. Maya is retired. There's not a ton to choose from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul