Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Funny commentary near end of 1st half. Male announcer teasing Kara about how she and Chelsea Gray are raising the level of Duke and joked how Geno was taking a big notice. Kara then said I do not want to get into trouble and what's more, Geno is not worrying about us.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Serbia lose 2 times to USA in semi's. Basketball and Volleyball. Uumph.
Great day for US on the volleyball courts. April Ross and Alix Klineman win gold on the beach, and the indoor women's team avenges their painful 2016 semifinal loss to Serbia. To beat them 3-0 is a pretty shocking result, as Serbia was favored to win, especially with Jordan Thompson not playing tonight.

Congrats to USWNT on advancing to the final in both VB and BB!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Gray has solidified her position on the team. I know TO's are an issue but she is an elite clutch scorer and at times a fantastic passer.
Outside of that one game I’m not getting the passing praise.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great day for US on the volleyball courts. April Ross and Alix Klineman win gold on the beach, and the indoor women's team avenges their painful 2016 semifinal loss to Serbia. To beat them 3-0 is a pretty shocking result, as Serbia was favored to win, especially with Jordan Thompson not playing tonight.

Congrats to USWNT on advancing to the final in both VB and BB!
And US with a nice come from behind win against ROC in water polo . Finals against Spain

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Outside of that one game I’m not getting the passing praise.
I guess I should seperate the mechanics of passing and vision from good decision making.

Reaction Score
41-23 at the half.
I hope all those doubters who said it was time for Bird to give someone else her spot are watching. The USA offense isn't better when she's in, it's much better. (And she's 2 for 2 tonight from 3).
A pity DT isn't healthy. Team USA would have wiped out that press between Bird, DT and Gray. DT makes some absolute beauty passes and also makes mostly terrific decisions that aren't as flashy but just smart.

On the other hand, --

Wow the other way- some of the passes Jewel makes and Ariel makes. It seems like when both are pressured especially Arial- she throws the ball up for grabs.

Instead of Ariel - I say this flippantly because I really haven't seen Arial much - but - might as well consider moving Stewie to the SG and Collier as the SF.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chinese platform divers are absurd. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think their swimsuits have a micro vacumn that sucks up the splash. Gold medalist Quan Hongchan (14 year old) blows the Olympic record up. 3 of her 5 dives were perfect 10's across (24 of 35 judges gave 10 on her 5 dives) all judges

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Gold medal game...no matter who we play:
Our time 10:30 PM on Saturday night....no channel listed...I assume NBC.
This according to Olympic site. Translates to Sunday 11:30 AM Tokyo time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Japan getting some seperation in 2Q 41-34. Raining 3 pt shots. Gabby very active going to the basket but getting no love (2-9). However, still valuable with 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals Just wish her shot was just more consistent.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Gold medal game...no matter who we play:
Our time 10:30 PM on Saturday night....no channel listed...I assume NBC.
This according to Olympic site. Translates to Sunday 11:30 AM Tokyo time.
They just said Gold Medal game is on NBC, 10.30 EDT and a more reasonable time out west, 7.30 PDT

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Japanese playing out of their minds. Blowing out France now. Playing 4D chess.

Rui sets Olympic record with 17 assists through 3Q. :eek: :eek: Record was 15.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Japanese playing out of their minds. Blowing out France now. Playing 4D chess.

Rui sets Olympic record with 17 assists through 3Q. :eek: :eek: Record was 15.
eebmg I appreciate your comments and admire your endurance for staying up all night? to first watch the American game and then watch the other semifinal. Once upon a time I could do that, but these days I am ready to hit the sack at 10.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
eebmg I appreciate your comments and admire your endurance for staying up all night? to first watch the American game and then watch the other semifinal. Once upon a time I could do that, but these days I am ready to hit the sack at 10.

Yeah, I hear you, Oldude, which is one reason why I recorded the games, got up early, poured a cup of coffee and went into watch before checking any media sources. Some thoughts:
  • Thought Sue Bird and Brittany Griner had superb games. Bird's combination of distributng and shooting was first-rate and Griner was, IMHO, the most effective U.S. big on the floor, with her combination of rebounding, defense, scoring and intimidation.
  • One reason for that takeway was a combination natural gift/basics on BG's part; she is not only tall, but has really long arms, making her even taller. And she maximizes that by keeping her rebounds up high, away from pesky players trying to knock the ball away. When she concentrates and is thorough on her basics, no one is going to harm the U.S. inside. She is remarkable weapon to have.
  • Tina C. and Chelsea G. shot the jumpers well.
  • Serbia was stepping into U.S. in-bound passes often. Coaching point (darn it): come to the ball! Also, passer should help out with look-aways, different tempo. Uggh. (Gray-Loyd not on same page)
  • Even when Stewie is not "on," she runs the floor hard and often. That keeps her valuable and consistent.
  • Still not sold on Gray as an overall maestro (the over-dribble thing), but she's a heck of a shooter off the dribble.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Is there any [realistic] chance that Sue might consider Paris in 2024? She would be 43.
Her point guard...pass first.. mentality is still first rate...as is the execution. Her shooting was off for a few games but came back strong. I assume she would have to keep playing in the interim with Seattle...perhaps in the same role that she would have in Paris....l.e. come off the bench...somewhat limited minutes...especially if our offense goes haywire in a crucial situation. She certainly takes care of herself....get lucky with injuries...might she consider Paris...might USA Basketball keep her in mind?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Japan to face USA for the Gold Medal as they beat France 87-71 Has to be considered an Upset.

Just think what the Crowd would be like if Fans could attend the Gold Medal Game. If Japan hits their 3 point shot attempts they can win the gold Medal Game. Japan scored 30 points in the 1st quarter in group play and then USA shut them down until the game was decided. Japan attempted 38 three point attempts making 10 of them for 26%. USA won the game 86-69. Japan has no answer for USA bigs, so they'll have to hit approx 40% of their 3's to have a chance at the win.

Group Play Game Story. Shutdown Defense in the Second Half Propels U.S. Women Over Japan

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Is there any [realistic] chance that Sue might consider Paris in 2024? She would be 43.
Her point guard...pass first.. mentality is still first rate...as is the execution. Her shooting was off for a few games but came back strong. I assume she would have to keep playing in the interim with Seattle...perhaps in the same role that she would have in Paris....l.e. come off the bench...somewhat limited minutes...especially if our offense goes haywire in a crucial situation. She certainly takes care of herself....get lucky with injuries...might she consider Paris...might USA Basketball keep her in mind?
Sue already indicated that this will be her last olympics. In 2024 she will probably not be playing anywhere at all.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Got to say, I am a bit concerned about DT with her hip issues defending the Japanese Jitterbug guards. I do not see how she will hold up. This is a game I think Jewell really has to step up and play some elite defense and get some of their guards in foul trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom