Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chinese platform divers are absurd. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think their swimsuits have a micro vacumn that sucks up the splash. Gold medalist Quan Hongchan (14 year old) blows the Olympic record up. 3 of her 5 dives were perfect 10's across (24 of 35 judges gave 10 on her 5 dives) all judges
She is only 14 years old. A very brave girl.

Quan was born in Mazhang District of Zhanjiang, Guangdong Province in China. Her parents are farmers and she is the third child in her family.

Her parents were very supportive of her decision to start competitive diving. Quan has a younger brother and sister. Her mother was hit by a car on the way to work in 2017 and suffered a serious injury.[6] Their family emptied all of their house's savings to treat her, but she still requires medical care. Quan has mentioned making more money to treat her mother's illness as a motivation

Reaction Score
There was supposed to be a replay on the USA channel at 10 o’clock for the women’s basketball. The soccer went long, but now they’re showing handball. Does anybody know when the basketball game is being re-broadcast. I absolutely hate the way NBC is handling coverage. They advertise one thing and when you put the channel and it’s something totally different. Very frustrating.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is there any [realistic] chance that Sue might consider Paris in 2024? She would be 43.
Her point guard...pass first.. mentality is still first rate...as is the execution. Her shooting was off for a few games but came back strong. I assume she would have to keep playing in the interim with Seattle...perhaps in the same role that she would have in Paris....l.e. come off the bench...somewhat limited minutes...especially if our offense goes haywire in a crucial situation. She certainly takes care of herself....get lucky with injuries...might she consider Paris...might USA Basketball keep her in mind?
Not to worry. I understand there’s a young prodigy waiting in the wings at UConn to step in for Sue in 2024………

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
eebmg I appreciate your comments and admire your endurance for staying up all night? to first watch the American game and then watch the other semifinal. Once upon a time I could do that, but these days I am ready to hit the sack at 10.
Post/handle

;)

Reaction Score
There was supposed to be a replay on the USA channel at 10 o’clock for the women’s basketball. The soccer went long, but now they’re showing handball. Does anybody know when the basketball game is being re-broadcast. I absolutely hate the way NBC is handling coverage. They advertise one thing and when you put the channel and it’s something totally different. Very frustrating.
I agree I taped the game on NBCSH but when I watched it it was the previous game . The schedule said 12:40 am but it wasn’t on there.I just read 4 PM today, they are absolutely awful in announcing ahead of time . Channel and broadcast time

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'd rather USA were playing France in the finals. The French play a more traditional, predictable style. Japan, on the other hand, plays a more unconventional style. They shot 38 three-pointers against the US in group play. 38!! Fortunately they "only" made 10 threes. Should be interesting.

Reaction Score
Got to say, I am a bit concerned about DT with her hip issues defending the Japanese Jitterbug guards. I do not see how she will hold up. This is a game I think Jewell really has to step up and play some elite defense and get some of their guards in foul trouble.
Loyd, and Gray are ready to play, and Stewie will help bring the ball up, just as she did in 2nd half against Japan. They can"t guard Stewie all over the floor.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In France's defeat at the hand of the Japanese...(which I didn't see...
The USA game required a modicum of sleep thereafter).

Regrettably, Gabby seems to have had a poor shooting game..... 2 for 11.

The rest of hers stats were great...boards, steals, assists...but her poor shooting didn't help.

Reaction Score
In France's defeat at the hand of the Japanese...(which I didn't see...
The USA game required a modicum of sleep thereafter).

Regrettably, Gabby seems to have had a poor shooting game..... 2 for 11.

The rest of hers stats were great...boards, steals, assists...but her poor shooting didn't help.
Two of the worst rebounding teams, and France got outrebounded. USA is the best rebounding team by far. Stewie has blocked at least one 3 point attempt the last 2 games. With all the three's Japan takes I expect she might get a block and breakaway against Japan.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Serbia has some talent. Looking at several of their players, especially from behind (with their ponytails etc.), I was reminded of Nika. Anyway...

Was impressed with Anderson. She almost single handedly seemed to keep Serbia in the game when USA was starting to pull away.

For USA, my $.02, which echoes other's comments...

USA runs much better when Sue AND Dee are on the floor. Dee's shooting has been off - would love to see her nail 3-4 deep 3's in the finals - but what they bring is more than just what shows up on paper. Sue especially has been incredible. Still, quite possibly, the best PG in the entire world. At 40. Just WOW.

Different players have stepped up different games. Several players who have been playing really well didn't show out today (Loyd, Wilson). Sue, Stewie, and BG were all stellar. I was surprised to see Tina log twice as many minutes as Sylvia. Fowles had a few good moments, but for the most part was forgettable in this game. Even Atkins logged more minutes than Big Syl.

I liked seeing Gray play the 2G with Sue on the floor. It was a different look. Gray still had a few ill-advised shots and passes, but to be honest, she's been playing better and better as each game progresses.

It seems like there is a core 8 with Diggins, Fowles, Atkins and Collier on the outside looking in. Atkins did log 13 minutes today so maybe it's a core 9.

Bottom line - the team will need to bring their A or A- game to beat Japan in the finals. Japan is feisty and gave us all we could handle earlier in pool play. will be interesting to see if we've gotten better over the past week and if the game is still a tight battle.

Regardless, the offense grinds to a halt when Sue, Dee, A'ja and BG are out. Stewie is clearly the MOP and MVP of the team - Sure Wilson is getting a great deal of "pub" as she leads the team in scoring in less minutes, but there's as reason Stewie is averaging close to 10 MPG more...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope Dawn plays the starting 5 longer as there the second team is way less efficient. Team USA needs Bird, Stewie and Griner to play at least 30 min. in the final

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'd rather USA were playing France in the finals. The French play a more traditional, predictable style. Japan, on the other hand, plays a more unconventional style. They shot 38 three-pointers against the US in group play. 38!! Fortunately they "only" made 10 threes. Should be interesting.
I believe Japan's tallest player is about 6'1". I'm sure they know their only prayer against the US is to jack boatloads of threes and hope enough of them go in. Indeed, that's how they scored 30 points (!) against the US in the 1st quarter, before cooling off and finishing with only 69.

I gotta think it's to our advantage that we played them once already, as that lessens the surprise factor of their unorthodox style of play, and helps the coaching staff make adjustments in preparing for the final.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how long Dawn sticks to her bully ball game plan. In pool play, the Japanese guards drew Syl, Tina and BG to the arc, only to beat them off the dribble. The US was more effective with Aja and Stewie playing the 4 & 5. So Stewie may have to play another high 30 minute game. Diana seems to re-aggravate her hip in the last game, so they may be down another guard.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe Japan's tallest player is about 6'1". I'm sure they know their only prayer against the US is to jack boatloads of threes and hope enough of them go in. Indeed, that's how they scored 30 points (!) against the US in the 1st quarter, before cooling off and finishing with only 69.

I gotta think it's to our advantage that we played them once already, as that lessens the surprise factor of their unorthodox style of play, and helps the coaching staff make adjustments in preparing for the final.

ADJUSTMENTS????Head bang We're talking Dawn here:confused:, not Geno!!!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog