Olympic team....5:45 on Friday....who makes it? | The Boneyard

Olympic team....5:45 on Friday....who makes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I hear the announcement of the roster is to be tomorrow.
Got any wishes or wisdom?

How about Dee/Sue/Maya/Tina and either Swin or Ashja...for 5 Huskies?

Griner is a lock...imo...given Geno's words about her game in recent weeks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here's my guess.
Bird, Taurasi, Catchings, Augustus, Parker, Fowles, Charles, Griner for sure.

Whalen, McCoughtry, Moore, Cash, really the ones I'm guessing on.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While most are saying that Griner is coming back for her Senior Year, I'm wondering if she is selected for the USA Senior National Team if that won't impact her decision. Seems like a natural decision that IF Baylor wins the National Championship for Griner to turn pro, get the WNBA experience to get ready for her debut in the Olympics. If Baylor doesn't win the National Championship, then there's no way she'll turn pro.

Kim Mulkey has already gotten upset; not that I blame her; when Anosike tweeted for Brittney to join the LA Sparks. I can imagine that there are others who are silently encouraging her to turn Pro.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
While most are saying that Griner is coming back for her Senior Year, I'm wondering if she is selected for the USA Senior National Team if that won't impact her decision. Seems like a natural decision that IF Baylor wins the National Championship for Griner to turn pro, get the WNBA experience to get ready for her debut in the Olympics. If Baylor doesn't win the National Championship, then there's no way she'll turn pro.

Kim Mulkey has already gotten upset; not that I blame her; when Anosike tweeted for Brittney to join the LA Sparks. I can imagine that there are others who are silently encouraging her to turn Pro.

BG has point blank said that she is coming back next year, regardless of anything that happens this season, including a NC and Olympic gold. Of course, she could change her mind, but at this point she is on record as saying that she will be back next year.

If this announcement is made today and BG is not on the team I will have very little respect for the way USA Basketball handled this. Surely they would not make an announcement that would be very disappointing to her right before the biggest weekend of her college career.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller's picks:

Augustus
Bird
Catchings
Charles
Dupree
Fowles
Griner
McCoughtry
Moore
Parker
Taurasi
Whalen

LINK

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller's picks:

Augustus
Bird
Catchings
Charles
Dupree
Fowles
Griner
McCoughtry
Moore
Parker
Taurasi
Whalen

LINK
So basically he took mine, and replaced Dupree with Cash. :rolleyes:

I could see that, but my thinking was the 11/12th player really wasn't going to play that much anyway, they might take someone with more international experience and ?maybe? a harder worker/better locker room type?? (not saying Dupree isn't, but it just seems Cash is more)

Reaction Score

I could see that, but my thinking was the 11/12th player really wasn't going to play that much anyway, they might take someone with more international experience and ?maybe? a harder worker/better locker room type?? (not saying Dupree isn't, but it just seems Cash is more)

Yours is more accurate.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hear the announcement of the roster is to be tomorrow.
Got any wishes or wisdom?

How about Dee/Sue/Maya/Tina and either Swin or Ashja...for 5 Huskies?

Griner is a lock...imo...given Geno's words about her game in recent weeks.
i think 4 Huskies are a lock. Swin's game is more versatile than Dupree's. it remains to be seen how the committee sees it.

Reaction Score
Ask yourselves, would Swin be traveling the world representing USA sports if she wasn't being selected?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
i think 4 Huskies are a lock. Swin's game is more versatile than Dupree's. it remains to be seen how the committee sees it.

I like Ashja's improvement last year, healthier than she has been in a while - and it showed. She might be a sleeper to make one of the last spots. She has strength and versatility. Lord knows it is the highest honor for anyone to get picked, and every last one of them will be thrilled, but I think for Ashja it would be particularly huge.

Reaction Score
I agree that Asjha would be thrilled; I disagree that it's going to happen.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I agree that Asjha would be thrilled; I disagree that it's going to happen.

I said she might be a sleeper - doesn't mean I'm betting on it. If she were to make it, it would be because she is a better fit with the first 11 players. The more I look at the list, the more I think she would in fact be a very good complementary selection. They have several great slashers with a combo of perimeter and inside game but I think Ashja is stronger inside where the dirty work gets done and could be a better PF than either Swin or Dupree on this particuar squad. As Geno has noted, Ashja has been around the block, and plays like it.

We will see soon enough. Crossing my fingers for Ashja but not expecting it one way or the other.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Ashja's team just made the Euro finals and will go up against Maya's team Ros Casares tomorrow night.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

You mean he replaced Cash with Dupree

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I just don't see how you can leave Candice off the team: Younger, fitter, an awesome, quiet assassin.
2011 Playoff Statistics
PPG 15.4
RPG 5.6
APG 0.6
+16.20

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's what I said (in my head anyway). :confused:

I know what I meant.
I did, too, but thought some might swing and miss on the curve ball.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
it's being tweeted.. today
USA Basketball@usabasketball
  • Don't forget that USA Basketball will make a special announcement today at 5:45 p.m. (EDT) about the 2012 USA... http://fb.me/1hT7hXZWo

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm going to be a contrarian and say that Griner is not a lock. I think she's good enough, probably ready, and uniquely talented. I think, though, that the committee may go with more experienced players. There are more than enough of them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm going to be a contrarian and say that Griner is not a lock. I think she's good enough, probably ready, and uniquely talented. I think, though, that the committee may go with more experienced players. There are more than enough of them.
that's a fair point. they may decide that with Fowles and Charles and Parker, they have enough size and strength to compete in the post. Griner's time will come. we will see soon enough tho!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
that's a fair point. they may decide that with Fowles and Charles and Parker, they have enough size and strength to compete in the post. Griner's time will come. we will see soon enough tho!

I think Griner's time has come, which is not to say she won't get a lot better down the road. I would be very surprised if she did not make the final cut.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think Griner's time has come, which is not to say she won't get a lot better down the road. I would be very surprised if she did not make the final cut.
Geno has said he would like her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak