Olympic team....5:45 on Friday....who makes it? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Olympic team....5:45 on Friday....who makes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
"Quite frankly, I'm angry as this could affect her play."

"I think that for her play, it won't affect her."

I'm confused.....:confused:

You should read the next post where I said "I recant" and you wouldn't be confused.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This announcement of only 11 of the 12 is strange. Given that, I expect that Griner will be the 12th. Why are they not announcing the 12th?

Congrats to all. That looks like a great team. As we've said all along, some really good players did not make it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You should read the next post where I said "I recant" and you wouldn't be confused.
My guess is that BG may have asked for a week before she gave her commitment - 'let me finish my college year and give me a day or two before I fully commit.' She is the only player for whom it would make sense to delay the announcement of the 12th player because of the FF. She has in the past been reluctant to join USA teams, and she might be holding back, rather than the committee.

Reaction Score
According to this article, only nine players were initially announced for the
2008 team, and incomplete rosters were also initially announced for the
2000 and 2004 teams as well. Looks like something they routinely do.

Exactly. Especially the "College Player", picked and announced last as an Intern to the National Team, e.g. Christain Laetner, Rebecca Lobo, Candace Parker, etc.. Griner maybe unique, she is still a "College Player".

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The team has 3 guards, Sue, Whalen and DT. Rest are wings forwards or post players. If I was Geno, I would want the 12th member to be a ball handling guard that can shoot and drive to the basket to get points or draw fouls. Sylvia Fowles can do everything that Griner can do, except she's two inches shorter. If Griner makes the team, she's probably plays in mop up time while a ball handling guard could be used anytime during the game.

Reaction Score
The team has 3 guards, Sue, Whalen and DT. Rest are wings forwards or post players.

I would put Augustus in that "guard" category. It may not be her natural position, but for this team, it looks like she will be playing that position regardless of whether they add another guard or not.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The team has 3 guards, Sue, Whalen and DT. Rest are wings forwards or post players. If I was Geno, I would want the 12th member to be a ball handling guard that can shoot and drive to the basket to get points or draw fouls. Sylvia Fowles can do everything that Griner can do, except she's two inches shorter. If Griner makes the team, she's probably plays in mop up time while a ball handling guard could be used anytime during the game.
Those three guards are all ball handlers and Geno has played both Maya and Angel in the 'backcourt' with the USA team so I am not sure he is worried about that.
Besides - after this college season he is sick of playing four guards and wants to experiment with four forward/centers instead!!!:eek:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Exactly. Especially the "College Player", picked and announced last as an Intern to the National Team, e.g. Christain Laetner, Rebecca Lobo, Candace Parker, etc.. Griner maybe unique, she is still a "College Player".

Were Lobo and Parker college players when selected to the Olympics? I thought that I read that the last time that a college player made it was in 1988?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think the final selection will be a guard. Parker can pay post if Charles or Fowles were to get into foul trouble or get injured. I am really surprised to see Cappie omitted.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Lobo wasn't, because the Huskies won the title her senior year in 1995, so in the summer after that, 1996, she would have been out of college a full year.

She may have been named to the National Team in college, though.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Were Lobo and Parker college players when selected to the Olympics? I thought that I read that the last time that a college player made it was in 1988?
Correct insomuch as not since 1988 has a player who planned to return to college for another year been part of the Olympics.

BTW, here's a Veopel writeup.

Re: Griner, MV writes: "[F]or those who might think this Olympic announcement, and her potential future on this U.S. team, might weigh on Griner's mind during the Final Four ... it won't. Asked about it earlier in the NCAA tournament, Griner said her focus is 100 percent on Baylor and trying to win a national championship. And while the Olympics would be a huge honor, she's not thinking about that now."

Reaction Score
The team is well stocked at all positions. You take Griner specifically because she's unique. If another team suddenly has a center or forward that plays out of her mind, then you've got BG in reserve as another look to throw at her.

It's also clear that she's the future of this team, so you get her familiar with the process now, setting her up for a major role in 2016.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would put Augustus in that "guard" category. It may not be her natural position, but for this team, it looks like she will be playing that position regardless of whether they add another guard or not.
That was my thought. Augustus can fill the 2 spot. Bird Whalen and Taurasi can play the 1

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not surprised and quite pleased for reasons unrelated to basketball ability.
is it the fashion decision she made or the poking in the chest of Geno 10yrs ago?

mine is the fashion decision...

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Correct insomuch as not since 1988 has a player who planned to return to college for another year been part of the Olympics.

BTW, here's a Veopel writeup.

Re: Griner, MV writes: "[F]or those who might think this Olympic announcement, and her potential future on this U.S. team, might weigh on Griner's mind during the Final Four ... it won't. Asked about it earlier in the NCAA tournament, Griner said her focus is 100 percent on Baylor and trying to win a national championship. And while the Olympics would be a huge honor, she's not thinking about that now."

All due respect to MV but what would she expect Griner to say? She certainly shouldn't/wouldn't say that she found the entire issue to be a distraction. Now Griner may be focused 100% on the Final Four. But she isn't likely to admit it if she isn't.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
All due respect to MV but what would she expect Griner to say? She certainly shouldn't/wouldn't say that she found the entire issue to be a distraction. Now Griner may be focused 100% on the Final Four. But she isn't likely to admit it if she isn't.

My thoughts exactly. That would be like asking Geno if it was a distraction and him saying yes. What was she supposed to say. She said what she was supposed to say. That was silly to even ask her that. Of course it is a distraction. Geno has already had to field questions about Griner not being selected.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If you are naive enough to think this may not be a distraction look at the first story on ESPNW, titled "Ace Up His Sleeve?" which mentions Griner's potential selection to the team.

The mere fact that BG and Geno are being asked this question proves to be a distraction. Geno is a savvy professional who is skilled at blocking out distractions.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There are always "distractions". Mentally tough players don't get fazed by such things. Mentally weak players do. Mentally weak players don't deserve to be champions. I don't think Griner is weak in any respect. This is a silly debate.

If Michael Jordan felt slighted and had two games to play, he'd score 50 points on those teams. Each.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My guess is that Kim Mulkey's Bell's Palsey is a much bigger distraction for BG and the team right now. Seeing the effect is a constant reminder.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
is it the fashion decision she made or the poking in the chest of Geno 10yrs ago?

mine is the fashion decision...
Mine is the incredibly insensitive and downright asinine comments she made after the tsunami hit Japan last year. One should not get to represent one's country in the Olympics after that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There are always "distractions". Mentally tough players don't get fazed by such things. Mentally weak players do. Mentally weak players don't deserve to be champions. I don't think Griner is weak in any respect. This is a silly debate.

If Michael Jordan felt slighted and had two games to play, he'd score 50 points on those teams. Each.

Seriously, the best comparison you can find is MJ, the greatest competitor in the history of the game of basketball? How about we use a situation that is actually comparable.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mine is the incredibly insensitive and downright asinine comments she made after the tsunami hit Japan last year. One should not get to represent one's country in the Olympics after that.

Good point. Do you think that this type of issue is discussed by the committee?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I would not be one bit surprised if the committee told Griner that she is on the team but they are withholding the
announcement so she can completely focus on the final four without lots of questions on the London games.
Their omission of the 12th member may in fact lead to more questions than simply naming her...so they might have been wrong in their method of 'protecting' her
but I do wonder if she has been given the quiet nod already.

Geno's recent raves about her game and his overall comments on how much he likes her off the court don't necessarily
mean selection of course but I doubt he would have gone public to the extent he did unless he knew she was on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom