Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did Louisville decide to pay Pitino everything he was owed when they fired him? Why not? I mean it is a P5 school. They have the money.

On the list of reasons why a P5 wouldn't want UConn, this ranks so far down the it's laughable. In fact, winning at all costs is a very P5 trait. It might make us more desirable now that I think about it.
We are over-nurishing the trolls. I truly have no idea how or why anyone could be defending Ollie's litigious actions at this point. Only nonsensical rationales are posted here. And the desperate attempts to come up with reasons for UConn settling grow increasingly absurd. Once he sued for racism it was obvious that there was no bottom and no rational basis for any action. So I'm stuck with the only reason to defend KO's lawsuits or to say UConn should pay him is if you work for his law firm or for KO.

Reaction Score
Did Louisville decide to pay Pitino everything he was owed when they fired him? Why not? I mean it is a P5 school. They have the money.

The argument from some of us is that Ollie's stuff was penny-ante.

Pitino and Louisville had payments to players, hookers and spaghetti, etc.

We're saying there's a qualitative difference.

Reaction Score
We are over-nurishing the trolls. I truly have no idea how or why anyone could be defending Ollie's litigious actions at this point. Only nonsensical rationales are posted here. And the desperate attempts to come up with reasons for UConn settling grow increasingly absurd. Once he sued for racism it was obvious that there was no bottom and no rational basis for any action. So I'm stuck with the only reason to defend KO's lawsuits or to say UConn should pay him is if you work for his law firm or for KO.

Keep whistling past the graveyard. If Miller's subpoena uncovers Ollie pulling a Pitino, enjoy your one-year ban from the tournament.

Reaction Score
Wrong. UConn is not a school for a cheating coach who loses. That's SEC 101 right there.

Don't see how this is wrong. I agree with you. It reinforces my point (and that of others) that if you cheat, you better win. I wrote that in the post you're responding to.

Reaction Score

It’s not the crime, it’s the coverup. You may think that the violations are “penny-ante”, but I can guarantee you that lying to your superiors (and the NCAA) about it is not. It’s a fireable offense in any occupation save maybe the White House.

Reaction Score
Don't see how this is wrong. I agree with you. It reinforces my point (and that of others) that if you cheat, you better win. I wrote that in the post you're responding to.
It's the same way everywhere. You keep saying this like it's some novel thought, everyone knows you better not cheat and suck especially if your contract explicitly says don't cheat. There isn't really anything unique about our situation other than Ollie's figurative self-immolation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep. It's not reality based, but that's definitely the argument.

Reaction Score
It’s not the crime, it’s the coverup. You may think that the violations are “penny-ante”, but I can guarantee you that lying to your superiors (and the NCAA) about it is not. It’s a fireable offense in any occupation save maybe the White House.
All the people with any defense of what Ollie did or minimizing it fail to grasp or conveniently leave out the lying part. Lying to the NCAA has never been a little deal. Some of them are pretending all Ollie did was call Ray Allen.

Reaction Score

I find it morally reprehensible that you would suggest some cheating is less bad

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yep. It's not reality based, but that's definitely the argument.

Whether or not Ollie's NCAA transgressions are "penny-ante", the contract doesn't provide for any distinction that somehow exonerates him for minor NCAA infractions. It's zero tolerance, period. I don't know why this concept seems so difficult for some to understand. There's no rating scale from one to ten on the severity of any particular transgression. They're all of equal magnitude under the contract terms.

Ollie appears to be a human magnet that attracts incompetent attorneys. His legal advisor(s) should have never let him sign that contract with zero tolerance termination provisions regarding NCAA violations. Based on the terms, one of his assistants could have spit on the sidewalk without Ollie knowing about it, but Ollie would still have been subject to being fired.

Reaction Score
It's the same way everywhere. You keep saying this like it's some novel thought, everyone knows you better not cheat and suck especially if your contract explicitly says don't cheat. There isn't really anything unique about our situation other than Ollie's figurative self-immolation.

I wouldn't even bother if people didn't respond by saying, "Wrong... "

I'm like, what is wrong? I agree with you!!!

Reaction Score

You can convince yourself of anything.

Reaction Score
No Ollie's cheating was morally reprehensible. UConn reporting it, as it is obligated to do, is perfectly appropriate. Somehow you are arguing that ethics are only must be followed "if you care about them." That's the kind of moral slippery slope that inevitably gets people into trouble.

Here's a great example, Kevin cheated, maybe he felt like other coaches must have been cheating because he was doing so poorly against them. Who knows he may well have been right (cough, cough Tremont cough) but that didn't make what he did appropriate. Once he cheated he then felt he had to lie to bosses. That was fine because the other coaches probably did that as well, right? Once he had lied to his bosses, he really had to lie the the NCAA. I'm sure he felt like he had no choice, in his view, because he couldn't admit to being both a cheat and liar. Now he is looking at a show cause order.

Of course he could have done the right thing, apologized and gone away quietly, but that would be admission that he's not the man we once thought he was. So instead honoring his agreement in his contract (and the CBA) which terminates upon, among other things, UConn's determination that he has violated NCAA or university policy, Kevin decided to get money to which he has no legal or moral right. When the University appropriately refused he, essentially, had a tantrum, threatening to get through extortion what he is not entitled to at law. Eventually this devolved into KO trying to smear a man that once described as a "second father" whose support "meant everything to (Ollie)."

So here we are and this once "high character guy" is defined by his actions as a disloyal, cheater and liar. It is sad really. That is the problem with thinking that ethics is only important when you "care about it." Eventually, you care about nothing and accordingly are ethically bankrupt.

Whatever KO did is beside the point. We are talking about what the leadership of UConn did. The subject is not whether UConn had grounds to fire KO under the terms of the contract. The subject is the conditions under which UConn would choose to exercise that part of the contract. All you have to do to prove your point is to convince me UConn would have fired KO for the same charges even if he had just won a NC. But of course he wouldn't have been fired. In fact this board would explode with rage if KO had been fired over these offenses right after he had just won a NC. Then it would be you who would be talking about ticky-tack fouls.

When you take account of someone's value to you before you make an ethical judgment about that someone's behavior, that is called "being a respector of persons" and there is nothing ethical about it. Not unlike the Ravens having to decide what to do about their future HoF linebacker who got himself tangled up in a murder. Bet it would have been different if he had been the 49th player on the team making NFL minimum wage. Also not unlike how the NCAA gets accused of protecting UNC - ad nauseam on this board. People usually recognize partiality when they see it. UConn's treatment of KO was decidedly partial. UConn was being partial to its $10 million.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whether or not Ollie's NCAA transgressions are "penny-ante", the contract doesn't provide for any distinction that somehow exonerates him for minor NCAA infractions. It's zero tolerance, period. I don't know why this concept seems so difficult for some to understand. There's no rating scale from one to ten on the severity of any particular transgression. They're all of equal magnitude under the contract terms.

Ollie appears to be a human magnet that attracts incompetent attorneys. His legal advisor(s) should have never let him sign that contract with zero tolerance termination provisions regarding NCAA violations. Based on the terms, one of his assistants could have spit on the sidewalk without Ollie knowing about it, but Ollie would still have been subject to being fired.
True, but they his acts and lies regarding them are major events that will like result in his receiving a show cause order. So while the argument is moot, it's also inaccurate.

Regarding assistants bad acts, I think the contract requires actual awareness and no remediation for KO to held accountable.

Reaction Score
You can convince yourself of anything.
Lol what?

Are you telling me that he didn't lie to AD David Benedict and the NCAA? Or are you saying that's acceptable and not a firable offense? I don't want to put words in your mouth, so please clarify.

Reaction Score
Whatever KO did is beside the point. We are talking about what the leadership of UConn did. The subject is not whether UConn had grounds to fire KO under the terms of the contract. The subject is the conditions under which UConn would choose to exercise that part of the contract. All you have to do to prove your point is to convince me UConn would have fired KO for the same charges even if he had just won a NC. But of course he wouldn't have been fired. In fact this board would explode with rage if KO had been fired over these offenses right after he had just won a NC. Then it would be you who would be talking about ticky-tack fouls.

When you take account of someone's value to you before you make an ethical judgment about that someone's behavior, that is called "being a respector of persons" and there is nothing ethical about it. Not unlike the Ravens having to decide what to do about their future HoF linebacker who got himself tangled up in a murder. Bet it would have been different if he had been the 49th player on the team making NFL minimum wage. Also not unlike how the NCAA gets accused of protecting UNC - ad nauseam on this board. People usually recognize partiality when they see it. UConn's treatment of KO was decidedly partial. UConn was being partial to its $10 million.
Twisted logic, you can't win and NC when you don't do any part of the job well, its like saying a company wouldn't fire its CEO that piled up millions in losses if he'd only made money.
As to upstater and whistling past the grave yard.
A. Ban us from the NCAA ?! We can't get to .500 due to aftershocks of KO's incompetence ?
B. Last time we were banned it worked out ok, been thinking about this in light of UVA's win - surely both programs and fans would again trade a one-year ban/historic 1-16 loss for a chip.
C. If UConn & Ollie did in fact pay players then the truth is the truth - we'll take our lumps and then move forward. Something I KNOW the Ollie sycophants do not understand and never will.

Reaction Score
Lol what?

Are you telling me that he didn't lie to AD David Benedict and the NCAA? Or are you saying that's acceptable and not a firable offense? I don't want to put words in your mouth, so please clarify.

The killer offenses are paying kids.

We'll see what comes of it this week.

Despite being told in this thread that he had a show-cause order with the NCAA, it turns out he didn't. He may get one. But we've seen this before with the NCAA in the Patrick Sellers incident. Ricky Moore too had to be cleared.

I do think what he did was illegal--I just don't think it will rise to the level of a significant NCAA punishment.

If Miller's allegations are true, then he'll be banned, but so will UConn.

Reaction Score
Twisted logic, you can't win and NC when you don't do any part of the job well, its like saying a company wouldn't fire its CEO that piled up millions in losses if he'd only made money.
As to upstater and whistling past the grave yard.
A. Ban us from the NCAA ?! We can't get to .500 due to aftershocks of KO's incompetence ?
B. Last time we were banned it worked out ok, been thinking about this in light of UVA's win - surely both programs and fans would again trade a one-year ban/historic 1-16 loss for a chip.
C. If UConn & Ollie did in fact pay players then the truth is the truth - we'll take our lumps and then move forward. Something I KNOW the Ollie sycophants do not understand and never will.

I can't even believe what I'm reading here.

A postseason ban would be disastrous.

Oh my god.

Reaction Score
True, but they his acts and lies regarding them are major events that will like result in his receiving a show cause order. So while the argument is moot, it's also inaccurate.

Likely?

I thought you said he got one.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't even bother if people didn't respond by saying, "Wrong... "

I'm like, what is wrong? I agree with you!!!
You said that UConn's handling of this situation isn't SEC-like because UConn isn't cheater-friendly.

I said that statement was wrong. UConn wasn't cheater-friendly if you're losing. Important caveat.

Reaction Score
Likely?

I thought you said he got one.
No one said he received a show cause already. The hearing is literally today. How would that even be possible? He is looking at one though.

Reaction Score
Here's a great example, Kevin cheated, maybe he felt like other coaches must have been cheating because he was doing so poorly against them.

You're referring to the training? That's the cheating? Or something else?

Reaction Score
I do think what he did was illegal--I just don't think it will rise to the level of a significant NCAA punishment.
Doesn't matter. It was illegal enough to nail him for cause and withhold that $10M, and that's all I care about. I've been consistent in that stance. I'm a UConn fan, not a Kevin Ollie fan.

Reaction Score
You said that UConn's handling of this situation isn't SEC-like because UConn isn't cheater-friendly.

I said that statement was wrong. UConn wasn't cheater-friendly if you're losing. Important caveat.

I wrote the exact same thing above the sentence that UConn isn't cheating friendly.

And I've also said it multiple times.

I even have people like Superjohn asking me why I keep saying it.

Hallelujah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits