Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But I think the accusation by Miller is "Ollie told me he paid $ 30k to a recruit's mom".
No, not according to the departed’s actual allegations in his latest filing. It’s linked in this thread. See #s 16 and 22. Get the facts ...

Reaction Score
Tu quoque is a logical fallacy. You can't defend UConn's behavior by pointing at KO. This board manifestly does not care about anything KO is charged with other than using it as an instrument to save $10 million. This is nothing but self-interest pretending to be moral principle.

UConn as a public institution also has an ethical and fiduciary responsibility to the taxpayers of CT to not waste money when it is not required. It is a public interest, not a self interest.

Ollie was paid fairly for his work. He's not going to get paid for work he has not done because he violated the terms of the contract that would have entitled him to such.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
All true. I’m fine with all of that if people are homest and admit that the violations are ticky tacky when you consider the reality of the sport.

The issue is I’ve heard of violations (not talking about paying 30K Glenn Miller related stuff...talking about 2016 pre-season stuff) that would certainly not qualify as ticky tacky.

He got caught for ticky tacky. That doesn’t mean he was only doing ticky tacky stuff. That’s where people who claim UConn are screwing him and he has the moral high ground lose me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm going to add here that Glen Miller's testimony was totally weird. He first says, "No, not that I'm aware of, and then he says, well, wait a minute, there was the time that..."

I mean, that is just bizarre. This is not a minor thing. If your wife heard Ollie did this, it would stick in your mind. You'd be like, WTF!?!?! Unless it is a totally normal thing to do in Miller's experience. Why in the world did he offer it as an afterthought. "No, Ollie never.... but, wait a minute, my wife heard..."

That's just bizarre.

I would think that if my wife relayed something like that to me, if I were an ass't coach, it would stick in my frontal lobe like a hard marshmallow.

"Did Ollie ever use money to recruit players...."

"Well, my wife was speaking to a player's mom who said...."

Now that sounds more straightforward.
Nah, answering open ended questions is hard. You have to search your memory. That pattern isn't all that unusual. But it is entirely possible that GM thought about it and said WTF I'll mention the Garrett thing. I don't know of course, but I'd guess that he didn't make it up on the spot. The detail is too rich and the imperfect overlap with his wife's testimony seems right.

Still, the smart thing would have been not to mention it.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The issue is I’ve heard of violations (not talking about paying 30K Glenn Miller related stuff...talking about 2016 pre-season stuff) that would certainly not qualify as ticky tacky.

He got caught for ticky tacky. That doesn’t mean he was only doing ticky tacky stuff. That’s where people who claim UConn are screwing him and he has the moral high ground lose me.

well can’t we actually only go by what they fired him for? if there were worse violations why not fire him for cause for those and make your case stronger in the court of public opinion at least.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The next smart thing any of the people involved in this mess does will be the first.

Has anyone read the actual complaint? I can't bring myself to read this thread but that was the first thing I did when I saw the headline. I don't think I've ever seen a complaint use the language attributed to Miller there, in connection with what he allegedly called Ollie.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
well can’t we actually only go by what they fired him for? if there were worse violations why not fire him for cause for those and make your case stronger in the court of public opinion stronger at least.

Because they couldn’t be proven. Which I get it is ur way of saying they’re not true, which you are free to disagree with me on.

Just voicing my perspective based on what I believe to be true. I’m in no way an insider, just happened to have someone extremely randomly placed close to the situation on this one

Reaction Score
Nah, answering open ended questions is hard. You have to search your memory. That pattern isn't all that unusual. But it is entirely possible that GM thought about it and said WTF I'll mention the Garrett thing. I don't know of course, but I'd guess that he didn't make it up on the spot. The detail is too rich and the imperfect overlap with his wife's testimony seems right.

Except I have a problem with...not to my knowledge, then re remembering-I think he knew he was going to throw it in, and was looking for the opportunity-admittedly pure speculation on my part.

Reaction Score
Whether or not he deserves the money this makes us look small. Why would a P5 conference want us If we can't make a bad coach go away? This doesn't look good for KO but it could have more long term damage to the University.
For the love of Pete, now the conference frockery is a reason to pay the KO'd?! That too is about MONEY. UConn's ability to ever get into a football conference is about football money and football money and money from football and that is it.

Reaction Score

Search your memory for paying a player $30k?????

If that's not at the top of your memory, what is? The time he murdered someone?

Oh my!

Reaction Score
Show-cause order...

If the allegations stand up, Ollie could be be given a “show-cause” order, which could result in penalties assessed if he is at another school, effectively hurting his chances of coaching elsewhere in the college game.

CL82

Reaction Score
He got caught making illegal payments for illegal travel and illegal meals, for an illegal training session by an illegal coach.... and then he lied to the university and the NCAA. UConn is wise not worry about hearsay. What he did was significant to enough to terminate his contract and will probably earn him a show cause penalty.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He got caught making illegal payments for illegal travel and illegal meals, for an illegal training session by an illegal coach.... and then he lied to the university and the NCAA. UConn is wise not worry about hearsay. What he did was significant to enough to terminate his contract and will probably earn him a show cause penalty.

saying illegal five times doesnt make it a big deal realtive to the level of corruption in the sport.

but you showing an ounce of integrity and admitting that reality is obviously unlikely. you prefer some pedantic high ground that doesn’t exist.

Reaction Score
saying illegal five times doesnt make it a big deal realtive to the level of corruption in the sport.

but you showing an ounce of integrity and admitting that reality is obviously unlikely. you prefer some pedantic high ground that doesn’t exist.
Why does it matter what you or I view as being a big deal? He didn't honor the conditions of his contract. The NCAA is a disastrous joke of an organization but lying to them has always been a big deal.

CL82

Reaction Score

Nor does constantly taking a position adverse to UConn make you an intelligent observer, but like a broken clock you'll be right on occasion.

But thanks I've been waiting for someone to make that observation. I've listed each as "illegal" because each is a separate and distinct violation of NCAA rules. If you steal a car, rob a bank, run down a pedestrian, flee the scene of the accident you've committed four crimes not one. Some on the board would seem to describe that by saying "well he fled the scene, that's not that big a deal..." Dumb right? Well it is equally dumb when you apply that to KO's conduct.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why does it matter what you or I view as being a big deal? He didn't honor the conditions of his contract. The NCAA is a disastrous joke of an organization but lying to them has always been a big deal.

it only matters as far determining how hypocritical posters are - obviously it doesnt have legal implications

Reaction Score
Whether or not he deserves the money this makes us look small. Why would a P5 conference want us If we can't make a bad coach go away? This doesn't look good for KO but it could have more long term damage to the University.
On the list of reasons why a P5 wouldn't want UConn, this ranks so far down the it's laughable. In fact, winning at all costs is a very P5 trait. It might make us more desirable now that I think about it.

Reaction Score
On the list of reasons why a P5 wouldn't want UConn, this ranks so far down the it's laughable. In fact, winning at all costs is a very P5 trait. It might make us more desirable now that I think about it.

I'm really glad we got Hurley. Because some coaches might be thinking, "If I do even 1/10th of what everyone else does to grab recruits, and I get caught, I can lose my $10m contract with this school." They are making the gamble and saying, "On the other hand, if I don't get caught and end up with great players and I start winning, I will make $10m more in new contracts!"

UConn is not a school for a cheating coach.

UConn is de facto not SEC material.

Reaction Score
Did Louisville decide to pay Pitino everything he was owed when they fired him? Why not? I mean it is a P5 school. They have the money.

Reaction Score
I'm really glad we got Hurley. Because some coaches might be thinking, "If I do even 1/10th of what everyone else does to grab recruits, and I get caught, I can lose my $10m contract with this school." They are making the gamble and saying, "On the other hand, if I don't get caught and end up with great players and I start winning, I will make $10m more in new contracts!"

UConn is not a school for a cheating coach.

UConn is de facto not SEC material.
Wrong. UConn is not a school for a cheating coach who loses. That's SEC 101 right there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No. I'm well old enough to tell the difference between right and wrong.

There is nothing more wrong than seeking to be paid millions of dollars for work you no longer have to do. That is morally reprehensible.

There is no basis for paying him a penny not to work except under the terms of the contract. Since he clearly violated the contract, there is no basis whatsoever. UConn is absolutely in the right, and Ollie in the wrong on this. Ethically, morally, legally and every other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom