Ollie Speaks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie Speaks

Reaction Score
I very much enjoy going back and remembering all the people who S h i * on me for calling Enoch out all year for looking extremely disinterested, lost and really not all there on the court.

The people that said his offensive game was the best we've seen from a big man in years.

And that "next year, Enoch will be one of the more dominant bigs in the AAC."

To now the realization that...his skill level was never, and not going to ever be up to par with even AAC standards. And he was extremely disinterested in learning/working to improve his game. And it translated to when he stepped on the court.

I now laugh about it.
Tell me that Brimah had better offensive moves than Enoch. Shot blocking and defense was another story.

Reaction Score
Link?

Has the Govt got you counting marbles today?

You know my take - Im with Dove - it is all on his Ex Wife. KO will reboot. Benedict Chillious Edsall Auriemma Calhoun DRowe ... we are gonna come back strong. Unlike other sports - this is for the WHINERS - one Kromah & a Deutschland kid makes us a better team in October

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm going to go on a tangent a bit here. Any kid should care about their future and life. That's why they are in college after all. None of them should accept a situation that doesn't work for them. But...unless they are a kid with a 50% or better real world chance of being drafted, their situation from a sports perspective should be much, much lower than other more important things. None of those kids who just transferred are going to be drafted. So basketball shouldn't determine what they do. If they are homesick and hate winter...fine they should transfer. Just as any college kid might. If they loved UConn and transferred due to playing time or "their role", they are getting bad advice.

To make this work, they probably should pay more attention to non basketball factors when choosing a school to begin with. I see this crap at the high school and middle school level and it blows my mind. These kids who mostly have no shot at playing in college put way too much emphasis on sports, and so do their parents.
I think a large number of our recruits have the physical tools to play outside the US (Europe, Asia) if not the NBA. You could make a pretty good living overseas if you can stick around a while . However, unless you have pretty spectacular gifts you are going to have to work very hard in college at BB and to some extent the books at least at Uconn. I attended a D1 school and we really didn't see the basketball players except at class, meals and studying in the dorm at night. Not much partying until the season was over if then. I suspect it can be quite a grind if you don't have the level of commitment. Sure isn't high school or AAU where everyone thinks and tells you how great you are. Maybe this is one of the things the staff learned. Some guys have to grow up in a hurry because the train is leaving once practice starts. I knew a guy who became a doctor. He was really competitive in HS sports. He said when he was in Med school and out running he would think about the guys back in the room studying and wonder if they were getting ahead of him!

Reaction Score
I very much enjoy going back and remembering all the people who S h i * on me for calling Enoch out all year for looking extremely disinterested, lost and really not all there on the court.

The people that said his offensive game was the best we've seen from a big man in years.

To now the realization that...his skill level was never, and not going to ever be up to par with even AAC standards. And he was extremely disinterested in learning/working to improve his game. And it translated to when he stepped on the court.

I now laugh about it.

See ... as usual you got 50% right. That's a Fail

This is about his work and mental preparedness. Enoch needs to want to be good.

What many of you missed ... he has a skill set plus quick hands plus a gifted body. Im not guaranteeing that he will ever achieve his potential. In fact, I'd bet against it based on my view of most people's development choices and process.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I said in another thread the team was more of an AAU team than it was a UConn team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Him using the words "individual expectations" is all you need to see. Kids care about ME ME ME. Obviously other factors in play, but kids who get disgruntled over not getting what they wanted as freshman (or underachieving sophomores) need to enter real world. This isn't the Kentucky NBA scam, UConn builds a TEAM and cares about the common goal.

Noticed those 2 words as well. Carefully chosen imo.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And with this in mind, people need to show some appreciation for guys like Rodney Purvis. That guy is a Husky.

Damn straight. As frustrating as he could be as a player, I love this kid. Class.

Reaction Score

I now laugh about it.

I'm sure you have had a few proud moments huh?

Reaction Score

I now laugh about it.
Same story with Enoch. His offense is good enough and his defense isn't. A lot of defense and rebounding is effort and I never saw that from him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I now laugh about it.

Yah, but that was one item in a season long torrent of vitriol.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Good take, I'm really not sure if KO knows that UConn fans like to win.
This statement is from freaking Mars
Yeah, KO MIGHT think that UConn fans don't care about winning
Who the hell are you kidding?
Sometimes people love to talk just to hear themselves talk

Reaction Score
NEVER A TRUER WORD SPOKEN ABOUT RODNEY. He's a loyal good dude, I wish him the best - maybe he will get paid well like Boat to play in China or somewhere else if the NBA doesn't pan out.

Not to question or disagree, not in the least. But lest we forget, Rodney was a transfer too, which makes me wonder about what I'd think about his loyalty if I was an NC State fan...

Reaction Score
Not to question or disagree, not in the least. But lest we forget, Rodney was a transfer too, which makes me wonder about what I'd think about his loyalty if I was an NC State fan...

Fair enough but a lot of guys left Gottfried throughout his career coaching. Could be similar we don't know, but Rodney seems like a great guy who truly loved being a Husky. Almost as if he made the wrong choice originally and knew it for a while, but who knows. Kids will be kids, parents will be parents.

C

Chief00

I now laugh about it.

Quite frankly, let's see how Steve is developed where he goes to play before jumping to conclusions.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Rodney was swayed from UConn to NC State late in the recruiting process. Maybe not a MAL, but not all that far off. I'm pretty sure he realized his error pretty early on, and corrected it after the season.

Reaction Score
Fair enough but a lot of guys left Gottfried throughout his career coaching. Could be similar we don't know, but Rodney seems like a great guy who truly loved being a Husky. Almost as if he made the wrong choice originally and knew it for a while, but who knows. Kids will be kids, parents will be parents.

Seems like logic that could have been as easily applied during this season and 2012. This is the third transfer and the fourth to leave - do you think people outside this program are more likely to rationalize that as a player or a program problem?

Meanwhile, Gonzaga nearly won the title with three transfers in their starting lineup. Perhaps at some point we need to acknowledge that the methodology of college coaches is a bit antiquated. You don't need to kiss guys' asses or even be diplomatic, but if you can't convey your vision to a particular player in an accessible way, the buck stops with you sooner or later.

In regards to Juwan Durham, Ollie was not selling sand in the desert. He was the quintessential Ollie player, and losing him is a disaster that cannot be marginalized. Whether or not his talents pan out, the ceiling of next years team is a lot lower today than it was yesterday. You can't force a kid to stay, but barring undisclosed variables, Durham's decision to leave was as audacious and indictment on everything Ollie is selling as we have seen. This was Durham looking Ollie in the eye - and whether he was nudged out due to lack of work ethic or autonomously decided to go elsewhere is irrelevant - and telling him he doesn't believe in him as a coach, motivator, or mentor. He thinks so little of his foundation here that he has opted to go somewhere else and start over. That is the responsibility of the coach, the program, the players, and even the University/students. They couldn't get through to him that this was something that could work even when he had every incentive in the world to believe it could.

Reaction Score
Seems like logic that could have been as easily applied during this season and 2012. This is the third transfer and the fourth to leave - do you think people outside this program are more likely to rationalize that as a player or a program problem?

Meanwhile, Gonzaga nearly won the title with three transfers in their starting lineup. Perhaps at some point we need to acknowledge that the methodology of college coaches is a bit antiquated. You don't need to kiss guys' asses or even be diplomatic, but if you can't convey your vision to a particular player in an accessible way, the buck stops with you sooner or later.

In regards to Juwan Durham, Ollie was not selling sand in the desert. He was the quintessential Ollie player, and losing him is a disaster that cannot be marginalized. Whether or not his talents pan out, the ceiling of next years team is a lot lower today than it was yesterday. You can't force a kid to stay, but barring undisclosed variables, Durham's decision to leave was as audacious and indictment on everything Ollie is selling as we have seen. This was Durham looking Ollie in the eye - and whether he was nudged out due to lack of work ethic or autonomously decided to go elsewhere is irrelevant - and telling him he doesn't believe in him as a coach, motivator, or mentor. He thinks so little of his foundation here that he has opted to go somewhere else and start over. That is the responsibility of the coach, the program, the players, and even the University/students. They couldn't get through to him that this was something that could work even when he had every incentive in the world to believe it could.

It's only a disaster if your assumption is that Durham wanted to leave and get away. Otherwise if KO didn't like the total package of the young man, which you may never know short of OZ and Chief telling you so, then you are way off base. Who's to know? He didn't get to the gym when asked? No extra time? Wasn't happy with his PT and pouted? Didn't understand the plays, the defenses and wasn't proactively trying to get better which would be expectations from the staff.

The fact we assume he didn't like the sand Ollie was selling is crazy. Sometime the coaches do need to make decisions too. Amazing that people point right at the coach when they don't know. Heck it cold very well be true but to think it though that much without any facts to your knowledge is crazy.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The emphasis on Ollie's quote is mine, but it makes me wonder if academics had something to do with one or more of our player losses, and even more important, are any of them leaving in lousy academic standing that will hurt us down the road.

"We have great core of high-character student-athletes committed to the program who are successful on basketball court, in classroom."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom