Ollie Speaks | The Boneyard

Ollie Speaks

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I almost wish there was an NCAA National Unsigning Day for basketball. Make it the first Wednesday after the championship game. Anyone wanting to decommit or leave a program has to do it on that day.

Rip the bandaid off and get i over with.

Reaction Score
upload_2017-4-4_12-10-30.png

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not exciting but, Ollie emerges from wherever he's been holed up and speaks:

I understand this to mean KO recognizes there are other factors than just talent in evaluating whether to offer scholarships.

If KO can learn from problems that's valuable. We'll learn about this over the upcoming couple of years. Hopefully just one year.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

Hopefully, he recognizes that the fan base has only one desire - winning. I'd like to ask a follow-up. KO, where is the divergence between what the program's objective is and the player's who are leaving? What's different and how did this change occur in 6 months?

Reaction Score
Him using the words "individual expectations" is all you need to see. Kids care about ME ME ME. Obviously other factors in play, but kids who get disgruntled over not getting what they wanted as freshman (or underachieving sophomores) need to enter real world. This isn't the Kentucky NBA scam, UConn builds a TEAM and cares about the common goal.

You can't ignore the foundation to make the penthouse look glamorous

Reaction Score
Hopefully, he recognizes that the fan base has only one desire - winning. I'd like to ask a follow-up. KO, where is the divergence between what the program's objective is and the player's who are leaving? What's different and how did this change occur in 6 months?
Good take, I'm really not sure if KO knows that UConn fans like to win.

Reaction Score
"Individual expectations"? Let's examine, what are Enoch and Jackson's expectations? They were both slated to start or at least log starter minutes. Enoch was going to be on the court as long as his fouls would let him. Did he expect to be a 2 guard shooting 3's? Jackson was going to be relied on for major offense production from both beyond and inside the line. What roles could they have in another program that is different? Not playing D? Couldn't KO tell the truth about what went down at least instead of what he just said? He wouldn't have to rip those kids to do that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I almost wish there was an NCAA National Unsigning Day for basketball. Make it the first Wednesday after the championship game. Anyone wanting to decommit or leave a program has to do it on that day.

Gets announced on "The Defection Show" after one day of Predictology.

"A tradition like no other."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think Enoch saw he couldn't compete at this level and wasn't interested in working on his game. I only say this because his entire time here the staring center job was there for the taking for a guy who could defend, rebound, and make a fee buckets in the paint that weren't lobs.

Jackson has more of a case. I think Larrier is a better player and would start at the 3 or 4 over him. Same with a small lineup, one of the guards starts over him at the 3. He was looking at 6th or 7th man even though his game was want we need desparately.

My guess is that MAL was gettin other offers and saw a crowded backcourt. I'm fine with guess who don't have the fight in them moving on.

I still would like to know why Durham left as it still makes no sense.

Reaction Score
These kids care about their next move and want a situation they feel best suits that. I can't blame them.

Look at Vance. Wants to find a place to be the featured 3. He knows that's not UConn, He's a tweener. He can't play the 3. Slow, awful defender, slow push shot.

Him using the words "individual expectations" is all you need to see. Kids care about ME ME ME. Obviously other factors in play, but kids who get disgruntled over not getting what they wanted as freshman (or underachieving sophomores) need to enter real world. This isn't the Kentucky NBA scam, UConn builds a TEAM and cares about the common goal.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was going to respond to this and decided it wasn't worth it. Sarcasm off.

Reaction Score

I almost think the same thing. Everyone can become a free agent once in their career. No sitting out. But if you become a free agent once you are done. No 2nd bite. No Grad transfer. You want to move again it's to the pros or an nia team.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are insufferable ... like I really am glad I am not near you when common life failings happen. WE ARE a University that has been to the Final Four 5 times since 1999 ... and once with this Coach. He has not lost all his marbles or capacity to coach kids. I can do a little pop psych and tell all of you to just calm down.

This WAS a UConn Athletic year that was upside down. Some good. But, I think we are actually well positioned - AD, President and Programs - to move forward.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And with this in mind, people need to show some appreciation for guys like Rodney Purvis. That guy is a Husky.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm going to go on a tangent a bit here. Any kid should care about their future and life. That's why they are in college after all. None of them should accept a situation that doesn't work for them. But...unless they are a kid with a 50% or better real world chance of being drafted, their situation from a sports perspective should be much, much lower than other more important things. None of those kids who just transferred are going to be drafted. So basketball shouldn't determine what they do. If they are homesick and hate winter...fine they should transfer. Just as any college kid might. If they loved UConn and transferred due to playing time or "their role", they are getting bad advice.

To make this work, they probably should pay more attention to non basketball factors when choosing a school to begin with. I see this crap at the high school and middle school level and it blows my mind. These kids who mostly have no shot at playing in college put way too much emphasis on sports, and so do their parents.

Reaction Score
I think Enoch saw he couldn't compete at this level and wasn't interested in working on his game. I only say this because his entire time here the staring center job was there for the taking for a guy who could defend, rebound, and make a fee buckets in the paint that weren't lobs.

I very much enjoy going back and remembering all the people who S h i * on me for calling Enoch out all year for looking extremely disinterested, lost and really not all there on the court.

The people that said his offensive game was the best we've seen from a big man in years.

And that "next year, Enoch will be one of the more dominant bigs in the AAC."

To now the realization that...his skill level was never, and not going to ever be up to par with even AAC standards. And he was extremely disinterested in learning/working to improve his game. And it translated to when he stepped on the court.

I now laugh about it.

Reaction Score
And with this in mind, people need to show some appreciation for guys like Rodney Purvis. That guy is a Husky.

NEVER A TRUER WORD SPOKEN ABOUT RODNEY. He's a loyal good dude, I wish him the best - maybe he will get paid well like Boat to play in China or somewhere else if the NBA doesn't pan out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom