Ollie lands a new job | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Ollie lands a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
16 year old players. Someone is going to chose who gets admitted to this program. The allure of the money will be an interesting addition to the AAU circuit. For the 30 players who get in having that much money handed to a 16 year old is very interesting. It is Andrew Yang's idea on steroids. This seems like an idea that will have a short lifespan. KO could be perfect in the role of mentoring the players and I hope he does well. Another question is if you are playing internationally who plays for all the plane flights?

There is a very big chance it flops. I don’t know where the funding comes from if not the NBA. But this is pretty much the model used for soccer around the world, if much less well funded.

Reaction Score
There is a very big chance it flops. I don’t know where the funding comes from if not the NBA. But this is pretty much the model used for soccer around the world, if much less well funded.
In high school you get at least 2 games a week. Who are these players going to play especially if their opponents aren't paid? AAU you have multiple games crammed into a weekend. They have to be leaving home to live at a facility. Is this year round? Lots of questions.

Reaction Score
This will probably get you there a little quicker:

Love Jim Calhoun he’s the absolute best program builder in the history of college basketball. Having said that if you voted for him in this poll you are either a KO hater or just really know nothing about the team. Pretty simple ‘nuff said.

Reaction Score
Well, to piss you off specifically.
And it would piss me off the same as it would piss off any true UConn fan or any college basketball fan if their former coach intentionally tried to screw over their favorite team ( i know KO personally, sold and installed a few car audio systems for him). I don't doubt that it's a distinct possibility and Im not quite sure why you think it would be harmless and find it amusing. You have a strange sense of humor i'll give you that.

Reaction Score
Love Jim Calhoun he’s the absolute best program builder in the history of college basketball. Having said that if you voted for him in this poll you are either a KO hater or just really know nothing about the team. Pretty simple ‘nuff said.

What are you talking about? Ollie would have never had the job if not for Calhoun, nobody at UCONN thought he deserved the job other than Calhoun and it was Calhoun's core group of players and Calhoun's coaching staff, (Hobbs and Miller and Calhoun was still in the building in 2014). Apparently YOU know nothing about 2014. Ollie's decision to then alienate Calhoun and fire Miller was as dumb as dumb could be. You can't even make up that level of stupidity but Ollie did.

On another note its highly doubtful Ollie will have complete control over which players are added to his pro squad. That decision will likely be handled by the people funding this team.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That sounds great in theory. But these kids are dropping out of high school at 15/16 years old to enter this league. If they don't make it and they want to go back to college, these kids will be applying to college based on their academic profiles (no longer an athletic recruit). No real institution is going to accept them as an applicant after dropping out of HS and not having real grades/academics for 2-3 years. So the whole "league will pay them up to $100,000 towards college tuition" is just PR.

Well, no "real" institution actually educates these recruits at the same level the educate the general student population.

No one said they were getting on to Ivies automatically. Most would start at a junior college or directional state u.

Reaction Score
Won as many national championships as Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Jim Boeheim and John Calipari. Just stating the facts.

The longer this marinates the more I love the idea of Ollie poaching kids from UConn.

My God you are a genius. This has to be why Ollie is signing up for this. After he poaches the top 30 recruits Hurley is after he will challenge UConn to play a game and accuse Hurley of ducking him if we don't play. Jacgues Parenteau will be the assistant coach if we do play and spend the game staring at DH Jr. while holding a subpoena.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Ollie would have never had the job if not for Calhoun, nobody at UCONN thought he deserved the job other than Calhoun and it was Calhoun's core group of players and Calhoun's coaching staff, (Hobbs and Miller and Calhoun was still in the building in 2014). Ollie's decision to then alienate Calhoun and fire Miller was as dumb as dumb could be. You can't even make up that level of stupidity but Ollie did. Apparently YOU know nothing about 2014.

On another note its highly doubtful Ollie will have complete control over which players are added to his pro squad. That decision will likely be handled by the people funding this team.
What are you talking about? Ollie would have never had the job if not for Calhoun, nobody at UCONN thought he deserved the job other than Calhoun and it was Calhoun's core group of players and Calhoun's coaching staff, (Hobbs and Miller and Calhoun was still in the building in 2014). Ollie's decision to then alienate Calhoun and fire Miller was as dumb as dumb could be. You can't even make up that level of stupidity but Ollie did. Apparently YOU know nothing about 2014.

Read the question smart guy. “Highly doubtful he would have been hired” what the heck does that have to do with the answer? None. Calhouns guys, they sure were. Of them who were the stars and who played meaningful minutes minus Shabazz? How was Bazzs soph year which was JCs last?

Please think some more before you reply. They all got better in the last Big East year winning 20 games under KO despite the APR situation he was handed. Then everyone of them became even more impactful his 2nd year. Daniels did little with JC and not much more for Boat or Giffey. Maybe losing Hobbs hurt and firing Miller wasn’t great but the answer to the question is simple as I said, KO gets the credit for the NC not JC. Only call!

Reaction Score
Read the question smart guy. “Highly doubtful he would have been hired” what the heck does that have to do with the answer? None. Calhouns guys, they sure were. Of them who were the stars and who played meaningful minutes minus Shabazz? How was Bazzs soph year which was JCs last?

Please think some more before you reply. They all got better in the last Big East year winning 20 games under KO despite the APR situation he was handed. Then everyone of them became even more impactful his 2nd year. Daniels did little with JC and not much more for Boat or Giffey. Maybe losing Hobbs hurt and firing Miller wasn’t great but the answer to the question is simple as I said, KO gets the credit for the NC not JC. Only call!

60 percent of the fan base disagrees, since this is an opinion poll you lose.

My point about Calhoun hiring Ollie is relevant, if you think Ollie's coaching was key to 2014 you have to give a nod to Calhoun since he was the only one who thought Ollie deserved the job.

Reaction Score
Hated the results of that poll and called it out when it happened.

KO deserves as much credit as one can give a head coach for that Natty. A masterful performance by him and his staff and no one can take that away from him.

KO also deserves as much fault as one can give a head coach for leaving a program in tatters upon his departure. There was no postseason ban, no recruiting restrictions, nothing from 2016-18.

There were only two teams worse than UConn (#179) in the AAC his last year according to KenPom: South Florida and East Carolina. They were worse than Tulane.

That ain't the AAC, that's KO and he owns that as much as the title he rightfully deserved.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
King Of The Hill Popcorn GIF

Reaction Score
Won as many national championships as Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Jim Boeheim and John Calipari. Just stating the facts.

The longer this marinates the more I love the idea of Ollie poaching kids from UConn.
He blocked me on Twitter. On Twitter

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Great, if he even mentions UConn to any potential recruit, we're going to be sanctioned

Mark Emmert is all giddy, he's already hiring more investigators

Reaction Score
Nah. Ollie coached his ass off for that title. It’s just not debatable. You want to talk about later shortcomings, ok. We’ve already rehashed them a million times. But there is no doubt Kevin Ollie could coach players. He was a very good bench coach.

he was, until he wasn’t. I agree with your assessment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I mean that’s kinda true. But that doesn’t take ko off the hook for his failings either.

This is like complaining about the food on the Titanic. The chicken may have been a little dry, but the chef wasn't the problem with that ship.

Reaction Score
16 year old players. Someone is going to chose who gets admitted to this program. The allure of the money will be an interesting addition to the AAU circuit. For the 30 players who get in having that much money handed to a 16 year old is very interesting. It is Andrew Yang's idea on steroids. This seems like an idea that will have a short lifespan. KO could be perfect in the role of mentoring the players and I hope he does well. Another question is if you are playing internationally who plays for all the plane flights?

if this program delivers players to the NBA, it’s going to succeed. If that happens, the nba buys it.

Reaction Score
Hated the results of that poll and called it out when it happened.

KO deserves as much credit as one can give a head coach for that Natty. A masterful performance by him and his staff and no one can take that away from him.

KO also deserves as much fault as one can give a head coach for leaving a program in tatters upon his departure. There was no postseason ban, no recruiting restrictions, nothing from 2016-18.

There were only two teams worse than UConn (#179) in the AAC his last year according to KenPom: South Florida and East Carolina. They were worse than Tulane.

That ain't the AAC, that's KO and he owns that as much as the title he rightfully deserved.

^^^ This ^^^

Reaction Score
This is like complaining about the food on the Titanic. The chicken may have been a little dry, but the chef wasn't the problem with that ship.
Ollie wasn't the problem with the team turning into a dumpster fire?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun stopped coming to games and talked to URI players more than he talked to UConn players

That's just messed up, being kind here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ollie wasn't the problem with the team turning into a dumpster fire?

The program would have nose-dived under Calhoun. Being the northern outpost in a weak southern mid-major conference was a terrible idea, as some of us pointed out from the very beginning. I predicted it was going to destroy both football and men's basketball back in 2013. Either I am a genius, or it was obvious to anyone that wasn't a moron. People can choose for themselves which they think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom