Ollie lands a new job | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ollie lands a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nah. Ollie coached his ass off for that title. It’s just not debatable. You want to talk about later shortcomings, ok. We’ve already rehashed them a million times. But there is no doubt Kevin Ollie could coach players. He was a very good bench coach.
If he was such a good bench coach what happened the final few years when his team's consistently got blown out by 20 plus points?
Eight times in fact in his final season alone.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he was such a good bench coach what happened the final few years when his team's consistently got blown out by 20 plus points?
Eight times in fact in his final season alone.

Pre divorce Ollie >>>>> Post divorce Ollie. I never wanted to hire him and was pissed at Calhoun for retiring at a time when UConn was essentially forced to hire Ollie (glad it was a short deal initially). I still think he was very much stuck in an isolation era offense, which is what he knew in the NBA. But he coached defense really well, and had players that could excel in that old Iso offense. Then it seemed he decided to stop being the guy he had been and mail it in.

Reaction Score
and you clearly don't get it.. It's all about wins and losses for you my friend... You don't bleed blue... you bleed wins and losses, which, fair point do matter.

Why is it now we can make the association with the AAC the past 7 or 8 years or so as a big issue with how how Men's programs have suffered. We were a part of a conference we didn't belong in.... Now, though, things are different... The BIG talk now is now that we're back in the Big East recruiting is gonna be better.. and it is definitely is... So focus on your wins and losses and appreciate less the good that Ollie brought to the program during troubling times...

This couldn’t make any less sense.

KO bled blue because we lost a bunch of games in a conference we didn’t belong in? Whatttt.

Reaction Score
They will be paid $100K per year: "Players will also earn six-figure salaries and have the opportunity to be compensated for their name, image and likeness."? Will all of the "salaries" be the same, or will they be dependent on skill level? How many will drop out after 1 or 2 years? Or, will they be paid when they complete the program with all expenses paid during their stay? Or, will the amount they collect at the end of their stay be the net after the expenses are deducted? Just askin'.....

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It wasn't just the conference. From 2014-2016 Ollie had great recruiting classes. He couldn't develop talent and struggled in game. Thus leading to the teams we had in 2016-2018 and what the state of the program had become.

I get people like him because he was a solid UConn player but he was an awful coach. We all fell for it at the time but it was an awful hire.

The AAC was such a catastrophically bad decision that UConn should not have a D1 athletic program any more. The worst part was that most of this board thought the AAC was a great idea. They were all wrong. In fact, every "fan" that thought the AAC was a good idea is more responsible for what happened to the athletic program than Kevin Ollie is.

Reaction Score
The AAC was such a catastrophically bad decision that UConn should not have a D1 athletic program any more. The worst part was that most of this board thought the AAC was a great idea. They were all wrong. In fact, every "fan" that thought the AAC was a good idea is more responsible for what happened to the athletic program than Kevin Ollie is.
I would like to apologize for the demise of the athletic programs.

Reaction Score
The fact that you think random anonymous opinions on the internets are more culpable than the guy in charge of the program tells us all we need to know about your judgement.
Similar to anyone looking for vengeance for useless internet posts, prioritizing this revenge over UConn b/c ?!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The fact that you think random anonymous opinions on the internets are more culpable than the guy in charge of the program tells us all we need to know about your judgement.
Similar to anyone looking for vengeance for useless internet posts, prioritizing this revenge over UConn b/c ?!

Fan support for the AAC was a factor in toughing it out in that tire fire as long as UConn did.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
His treatment of Calhoun continues to irk me to this day. That is not "bleeding blue"... that's bleeding KO. He brought this on himself. Still, water passes under the bridge, time moves on. I wish him well. Hopefully lessons were learned...

Reaction Score
The AAC was such a catastrophically bad decision that UConn should not have a D1 athletic program any more.

aren't you the same person that criticized Hurley for saying the program was in shambles when he took over? Your insinuation two weeks ago was that a good core was left behind for him to take over. Maybe there is more than one Nelsonmuntz or maybe you periodically speak out of your A.s.s

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fan support for the AAC was a factor in toughing it out in that tire fire as long as UConn did.
Which is the proper goalpost? A loyal fan, a donor, a ticket paying fan, a internet supporter or critic? This is impossibly obtuse and illogical. Illustrative of how absurd, imagine this twisted thesis is true & fan support determines outcomes, then UConn fans on the internet would have put us in the ACC a decade ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He’s going after every single one of UConn’s recruits, isn’t he?

/s
Let's find some top prospects first that have interest in UConn.

Then, we can worry what Ollie does or tries to do.

Reaction Score
16 year old players. Someone is going to chose who gets admitted to this program. The allure of the money will be an interesting addition to the AAU circuit. For the 30 players who get in having that much money handed to a 16 year old is very interesting. It is Andrew Yang's idea on steroids. This seems like an idea that will have a short lifespan. KO could be perfect in the role of mentoring the players and I hope he does well. Another question is if you are playing internationally who plays for all the plane flights?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Sounds like basically they get a percentage of money from NLI / sponsorships. The question I have is if this only while associated with league or if this is something that continues when they become a pro. If this is a long time partnership type deal, that's basically what record labels do for music artists and the artist usually loses out big time.

Want to highlight "up to" as well.

This whole arrangement is destined for court.

Reaction Score
Let's find some top prospects first that have interest in UConn.

Then, we can worry what Ollie does or tries to do.
Guessing you don’t know that “/s” means sarcasm.

I’m kind of on the train that I hope Ollie does try to steal UConn recruits just to see the meltdown.

Reaction Score
Cancel "Derangement Syndrome." It's among the fakest of "Fake News."

Otherwise, no super strong opinion either way on your overall wish.

If OE/KO combo works & works out, NP. Same as if not.

I'm reminded of another Kevin who said, "CLERKS wasn't as good as everybody said it was, and MALLRATS wasn't as bad."

There's something for everybody in this thread, even wildly conflicting opinions that aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Solid Gray Monday fare.
Nah Ollie Derangement Syndrome is very real, and if gone untreated it can lead to UConn fans blaming Kevin Ollie for a 2021 UConn tourney loss, which is what a bozo on here did after the Maryland loss.

Reaction Score

I’m kind of on the train that I hope Ollie does try to steal UConn recruits just to see the meltdown.
I hope he does because if we're in the position to regularly have kids choosing between UConn and a path straight to the NBA we're in a very good spot

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I mean that’s kinda true. But that doesn’t take ko off the hook for his failings either.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I don't know that anyone thought staying in the Big East (and subsequently rebranding to the AAC) was a great idea. Most fans wanted an ACC invite that never came, so we also weren't given any other choices. Being optimistic is not really a bad thing. The conference honestly could have been fine for us. A different trajectory from 2014 and UConn is still a powerhouse hanging out in the AAC. But that's all water under the bridge at this point.

Reactions: Ugh
Reaction Score
Ollie
-Losses to Wagner, Yale and Northeastern -even AAC teams should beat
-Lost most of his highest ranked recruiting class, I still don’t know why, but it happened
-Blocked me on Twitter, I still don’t know why, but it happened

just stating the facts

Reaction Score

Fair statement-I tended to agree with Hans-BUT....I remember the post well. Something about a final gift from Ollie.

Reaction Score
Ollie
-Losses to Wagner, Yale and Northeastern -even AAC teams should beat
-Lost most of his highest ranked recruiting class, I still don’t know why, but it happened
-Blocked me on Twitter, I still don’t know why, but it happened

just stating the facts

Won as many national championships as Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Jim Boeheim and John Calipari. Just stating the facts.

The longer this marinates the more I love the idea of Ollie poaching kids from UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom