Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN

Reaction Score
KO was not winning so the AD wasn’t willing to look the other way. It’s pretty simple to understand.

So in essence, he was fired based on performance. I have no problems with that but don't say that it's just cause based on the investigations that are still ongoing.

In the end, KO might be guilty after it's all said and done but you don't go about firing the guy based on the assumption that he is.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So in essence, he was fired based on performance. I have no problems with that but don't say that it's just cause based on the investigations that are still ongoing.

In the end, KO might be guilty after it's all said and done but you don't go about firing the guy based on the assumption that he is.

How do you know they are assumptions?

Reaction Score
How does the act of filing this lawsuit help UConn in any way? It only helps Ollie and he’s put himself over the entirety of the program.

I think this happening during the conf finals, NCAA selection and tourney keeps it off the ‘major story’ radar screen. Basketball fans would rather watch and care about basketball games.

Hopefully Ollie’s lawyer knows what he did or didn’t do and advises his client to take a settlement. As much as people argue it COULD be a bad look for UConn we overfocus on that aspect b/c UConn is what we all care about. But it’s a very bad look for Ollie and if he lost the Just cause fight he is 100% never coaching college again. My fear is Ollie knows that’s the case regardless, somehow is simultaneously in denial about his transgressions & how he’s hurting UConn & himself; thus he’s got nothing to lose by fighting to bitter end.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think we can still go after another coach, but we would do it with the uncertainty of how much money we can apply to the new coach due to a lack of clarity on how much we still have to pay the old one...

That's why this whole situation looks like it's headed toward a return of Calhoun, on at least an interim basis, because he'll agree to work cheap.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well the AD agreed to the buyout...so I don't know that he isn't an idiot. As this gets uglier, the national media is going to be brutal on UConn for this. It's Saturday and the conference tournaments are on. Someway, somehow, this should have been handled better.

That's exactly why it's happening now.

Reaction Score
BTW - to all the people making arguments as to whether this was properly "for cause" or not for cause, you should just stop. You don't have all of the information that DB has. I promise you. You're jumping the gun. It's possible that DB has info from the FBI investigation that is not publicly known. Maybe UConn already did an internal investigation. Maybe UConn already had dirt on him and they were biding time. It's entirely possible that the two sides reasonably disagree on what "just cause" is. The law is full of gray, and very often two intelligent lawyers can look at the same set of facts and believe that a court will reach two different results. It happens.
Gotta let the facts come out before you can even begin to assess "just cause." It's unripe, wild speculation at this point.

KO doesn't know this either because if he did he wouldn't be fighting it tooth and nail.

Reaction Score
How do you know that there's facts? It obviously hasn't been shared with KO because he wouldn't be fighting it if he's committed a violation.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
How do you know that there's facts? It obviously hasn't been shared with KO because he wouldn't be fighting it if he's committed a violation.

Yes he would... he’d fight either way. Why do people plead not guilty in court? For the chance for jury/ judge to see things your way.

Reaction Score
That would be the perfect solution if you wanted to end the program completely, as the lawsuit would be frivolous.
And the chances of a decent coach ever considering the university of ct would be zero.
B-S!! The guy dragged the program down and the only reason he wants to fight for cash he doesn't deserve is a freakin union is willing to drag this thing out in court til the university is forced to decide whether it's cheaper to settle or not. One of these days someone needs to fight fire with fire. The University of Connecticut has gone above and beyond as far as providing training facilities, head coaching salaries, providing a unique student experience and positioning itself so that student athletes get an exceptional opportunity to audition for potential employers on nation wide TV. I predict that by the time the women win their 12th National Championship a new men's head coach will be named.

Reaction Score
Yes he would... he’d fight either way. Why do people plead not guilty in court? For the chance for jury/ judge to see things your way.
I don't think KO would but we'll see.

Reaction Score
Sure. I get that, it's why it's hard to judge what case UConn has without knowing the details of the "Just cause".
How about that, at long last recognition by someone an overwhelming majority of us are unlikely to know the details of the "Just cause". Message # 193 in the thread: congrats noeynox! ;) Additionally, many people appear to only presume contributing factors to a purported "Just cause" may be limited to purported NCAA allegations alone.

Reaction Score
We can only hope the University had their ducks in a row before this. I hope that the "cause" is pretty strong. It would not help our situation to come off looking like the University was grasping at straws just to get rid of him because the team hasn't won more games the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
Yea what an . We would also settle for 0 dollars instead of 10 million

Reaction Score
Yes we will. Why do you think KO would act differently than the average person?
Because the average person isn't hand picked by JC to be his successor and lead a group of young men to a national title. I sure hope I'm not proven wrong though.

That's enough. I'm dropping off the polycom call.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
This is on Ollie 100%. You know for damn sure the school tried to work something out because the last thing it needs is more controversy and disruption. True colors shining through and it's not national flag blue... it's green.

Reaction Score
FWIW. UConn took the lowest road possible in this instance. KO took a program in a complete shambles. They were banned from the tourney. JC was despised by the media and the university. He was forced to step down. Seems to be conveniently forgotten. Based I performance over the last 2 years, I can easily see the desire to fire him. Seeing all the comments about him being lazy and having no character personally offend me. But you are entitled to your opinion. Whatever the reason, he has fallen off. When the investigation news came out, my opinion was the school played a hand in "reporting". When this was leaked to the press, I believe the school played a hand in this. The smear campaign appears to be an effort to not have to pay what they contractually agreed to. I go back to Dee Rowe, have attended hundreds of games all around the country. I have never personally been more disgusted with the university than with this situation.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Stop this whaler you don’t want to blow up the AD and start again.

He doesn't? Why not?

I don't know enough about the other departments within the university to say anything definitive, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did an audit and found the AD to be the most mismanaged crapfest across the board, at least since 2010 and maybe even before that. I'd have no problem with burning it all down and starting over again.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The average person would fight their Mother for $10 Mil (In fact many have fought their Mother for much less)

Reaction Score
I hope coach KO does the right thing with this whole situation. Wasn't there a meeting recently with coach and the AD? In that meeting, things should have been mentioned about the direction of the program and being let go. Coach should have seen this coming. Do the right thing coach and just embrace the firing and move on. Now if the school is trying to slander you and blame you for these minor NCAA violations, then you have some beef. But if they are firing you because the team is not playing up to the UConn Standards, coach you gotta just deal with the firing and move on.
The meeting was about coming back. He was caught by surprise when he recived a phone call. DB said for months that the program would be evaluated when the season was over. That didn’t happen. This is going to get nasty. In the end I think it scares candidates away knowing the administration dosent have coaches backs and we end up with Calhoun and there’s is nothing wrong with that. He will bring back miller,Moore, keep freeman and prob bring in Burrell.

Reaction Score
This is on Ollie 100%. You know for damn sure the school tried to work something out because the last thing it needs is more controversy and disruption. True colors shining through and it's not national flag blue... it's green.
Yo, haven't you been paying attention to the board that last three years? Everything is on Ollie.

Reaction Score
How do you know they aren't assumptions? If Benedict is and or were aware of any infractions he should have announceed it and or report it to the NCAA. None of this has happened at this time.

Reaction Score
With Ollie being fired for “Just Cause “

I don’t think the AD would fire him if he didn’t have an idea that Ollie did something wrong but out of curiosity what happens if the NCAA investigation last for another 6 months and they don’t find Ollie guilty of anything?

Can Uconn hire another Coach if the legal battle is still dragging on since he is part of the union?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom