Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate to admit it but that’s a good point, unless he did it to remove the “rat” from the UConn scene to help UConn ?

Your hatred of Glen Miller is never ending. Ollie wanted a scape goat for poor performance and blamed Miller.
If Miller had refused to be interviewed, he would have been barred from coaching. Was Ollie smart enough to realize that when he fired Miller? If he wasn't, too bad so sad since he effectively ruined Miller's career and pension. And Ollie did this when he knew what he had done as to the NCAA violations.

Remarkable. And plainly never thought out by Ollie. And Ollie feels wronged.

Ollie got Chill and Fultz got $40K to go to Washington when Chill recruited him. Maybe Chill never knew about.....I don't know but
I feel like we missed a bullet from the NCAA by terminating Ollie.

Reaction Score
STJOHNS are undefeated. Unfortunately my wife n kids r now big UCONN fans since I settle in CT 15 yrs ago. They dont want to watch St Johns with me. They don't want to talk about STJ with me and my daughter still insist on us going to the girls games. Anyway, KO is not spending any money on this lawyer thing. This is civil and the attorneys will only get pay if they win/settle on something
Yea playing the softest scheldule in history lmaoo

Reaction Score
Um, no, we don't all agree with that. Nor do we all agree the fact he raised a racial discrimination claim means that UConn should be reactionary.

This claim is a hail mary pass, entirely in keeping with his representation to date. Very short sighted, unlikely to be productive and ultimately will negatively impact his clients reputation and employment prospects. Just not good lawyering, in my humble opinion.
At first I meant. Sorry I should have clarified. It would have avoided this disaster. They should have settled. At the end of the day you can’t fire for cause with the petty violations he did. However, with him lying to the NCAA and now throwing out race claims I think UConn should stick with there guns. He’s not gunna get any money now

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW - he was treated differently than Calhoun for violations that pale in comparison.

I doubt it’s because he is black - but he was treated very differently.

Note Diaco was worse and got his money....
Different circumstances. Diaco didn't breach his contract he just sucked at his job. Ollie, however, sucked at his job and breached his contract. That is inevitably a combo that gets you fired.

CL82

Reaction Score
Whether he did or he didn't that is irrelevant. Calhoun did not have verbiage in his contract to maintain NCAA compliance related to violations. KO did, and he got canned.
The verbiage, at least in Jim's last contract is pretty much identical.

Reaction Score
Um, no, we don't all agree with that. Nor do we all agree the fact he raised a racial discrimination claim means that UConn should be reactionary.

This claim is a hail mary pass, entirely in keeping with his representation to date. Very short sighted, unlikely to be productive and ultimately will negatively impact his clients reputation and employment prospects. Just not good lawyering, in my humble opinion.
Some of us agree that they should have tried to settle. But clearly not everyone.

Reaction Score
... and you know that how?
According to KO's team, they were asked how much...they sent an offer and were never given a reply. So I like everyone else on the board am going of what was published. I have no gag order in place.

CL82

Reaction Score
Firing him for cause was a desperate move made by a broke university.

No firing for cause is what employers do when employees 1) are bad at their job, and 2) give them cause.

I do think that it was a tactical mistake to publicly announce it was for cause.

CL82

Reaction Score
Irrelevant. That is how negotiations work.
Not so much actually. You can lock yourself out of a negotiation by being unreasonable.

"Hypothetically" what if KO after two losing seasons, committing NCAA violations, lying to his bosses repeatedly about same, and lying to the NCAA about same asked for $11M+? That's the kind of "offer" that isn't worth responding to.

CL82

Reaction Score
OK...so how much do you think this is going to cost, defending the suit? While some on the board think it is frivolous, that is not how the real world works.
Pretty confident it will be less than $10 million.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Kevin (good guy,bad coach) has a head coaching resume that is one page long. The Right Honorable Irascible Lord James of Calhoun (good guy, good coach), has a head coaching resume that is one book long. there is no comparison. real stars are treated like the stars that they are, especially by management. life is good like that, "only shooting stars break the mold."

CL82

Reaction Score
The University said, in effect, "Choose one." He filed in court yesterday to get a ruling that would allow him to keep the other path from irretrievably expiring.
Which is consistent with the terms of the multi-million dollar contract that KO's lawyer approved and signed.

Through out this matter we are seeing a consistent attempt to selectively enforce provisions of the contract that are favorable to KO but ignoring the ones that are not. That's horse [poop].

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ollie went down several notches down the UCONN family ladder. Burning bridges in life is not a smart thing!

Reaction Score
No firing for cause is what employers do when employees 1) are bad at their job, and 2) give them cause.

I do think that it was a tactical mistake to publicly announce it was for cause.

I thought it was a supremely weak move by the university considering KO's history with the school. I feel less bad now that KO has pulled this race card.

Reaction Score
What NBA GM is going to want to bring in an assistant coach with this kind of baggage? Talk about fouling the nest. Insane.

CL82

Reaction Score
STJOHNS are undefeated. Unfortunately my wife n kids r now big UCONN fans since I settle in CT 15 yrs ago. They dont want to watch St Johns with me. They don't want to talk about STJ with me and my daughter still insist on us going to the girls games. Anyway, KO is not spending any money on this lawyer thing. This is civil and the attorneys will only get pay if they win/settle on something
So maybe your wife and kids should join the BY and you should post on a ST J's board? In that way everyone wins. (But mostly the rest of us.)

Reaction Score
I thought it was a supremely weak move by the university considering KO's history with the school. I feel less bad now that KO has pulled this race card.

Kevin Ollie basically handed the University "cause" on a silver platter. After KO lied to the NCAA and the University, they had no choice but to enforce the provisions of the contract. This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

CL82

Reaction Score
At the end of the day you can’t fire for cause with the petty violations he did.
Disagree that the violations were petty. Paying for room, board and travel to have players attend an illegal (under NCAA rules) training was always a very serious violation. Lying to UConn about it makes it worse. Lying the NCAA makes it ever worse. The rest of the violations just go to show pattern of behavior.

Reaction Score
Disagree that the violations were petty. Paying for room, board and travel to have players attend an illegal (under NCAA rules) training was always a very serious violation. Lying to UConn about it makes it worse. Lying the NCAA makes it ever worse. The rest of the violations just go to show pattern of behavior.

Checkmate.

CL82

Reaction Score
KO's history included back to back losing seasons, repeated NCAA violations and repeated lies to the administration about same. That's not a track record that leaves good will.

Reaction Score
So let us clear something up. He is not saying he was fired because of his race, but treated differently than someone not of his race. Someone with more and as serious or more serious than his> Hard one to defend.

Jim Calhoun's and Ollie's contract were different if he did not like it he should have never signed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom