Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit | The Boneyard

Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fired UConn Hoops Coach Claims Racial Discrimination

No final decision has been made regarding the alleged NCAA violations, which Ollie is contesting, but he says UConn was more lenient with the program’s previous head coach, Jim Calhoun, who is white, in the face of similar allegations.

Ollie says Calhoun “was found to have engaged in conduct in violation of NCAA rules and regulations following in an investigation conducted by the NCAA and Defendant in 2011 and 2012 that was more severe than the conduct which Defendant has identified as the basis for its decision to terminate Plaintiff’s employment.”

Looks like you can see the full complaint here >> https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/kollie.pdf

Reaction Score
It was discrimination, but not racial. UConn was discriminating against losses. Obviously, UConn opened themselves up to things like this by not be willing to fire Ollie for performance and pay him the money on his contract.

Also...this sucks.

Reaction Score
Ollie knows he wasn't fired because he's black. But it's the most convenient argument to make. This also isn't surprising in the least. The original complaint was based on race, this suit was virtually inevitable.

Edit: Ollie violated his contract. The fact that UConn treated him differently than Calhoun is easily defended by the way the NCAA treats UConn different from virtually every other program.

Name the other programs that were punished a second time based on new rules/requirements that were applied retroactively? I'll wait.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't begrudge Ollie, but two things.

Filing this complaint without resolution of the first issue wreaks of throwing whatever against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Secondly, UConn's record on the court makes this a racial distinction between apples and a fire engine.

C

Chief00

The KO Legal team is the “Nightmare Team “ for their client.

My guess - This is a last grasp attempt by his muddling lawyers to get a few peanuts thrown their/his way. Arbitration, we have been told is all or nothing and perhaps the consensus is UConn’s not settling on that and KO probably gets nothing.

Come on - the same AD who renewed his contract for $16 million becomes a racist after two losing seasons. Just not believable at all. But this charge isn’t to be taken seriously in this case / just more mud at the wall since KO has no other options to get a few bucks out of this. It is what it is.

Sadly, this this will hurt his future hiring prospects. Employers don’t like employees who file frivolous lawsuits. How much damage are they going to do to his future while not obtaining a significant settlement?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Gotta remember, very few of us wouldn’t do whatever it took to get those millions. It is a bad situation for KO. It isn’t easy to walk away from all that money. I am sure KO thinks he did a good job, even if we don’t. He also won a national title, that warrants some respect. I’d like them to settle and give him some money, but that’s just one man’s opinion.

Reaction Score
No final decision has been made regarding the alleged NCAA violations, which Ollie [who is black a horrible coach] is contesting, but he says UConn was more lenient with the program’s previous head coach, Jim Calhoun, who is white a good coach, in the face of similar allegations.

Reaction Score
I loved coach Ollie from 5 minutes into that Michigan State opener until about 3 minutes ago. I'm a bit appalled him and his lawyers are playing that card. All he had to do was place nice at the negoatiating table and he would have walked away with something and could have pivoted to a nice assistant coaching job in the NBA. Now he's reaching and i mean reeeeaching. Not only is it completely asinine but a poor reflection of character. Really sad how this had to unfold. Man this is bumming me out. Thanks for 2014 coach, but racial discrimination??!? And comparing your leave to the great calhoun SOLELY based on skin color. Geez Louise. Lost for words right now.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Along with the real estate transaction, this reads like a December to Remember 2018 bucket list item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom