Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But then you MUST understand the other edge of that blade. Which is if you are fired for performance (and not cause) you GET the remainder of the contract.

So by your reasoning if it is OK for UConn to go scorched earth to fire a bad coach, its OK for KO to go scorched earth to play the race card.

Right?
But he was fired for cause

Reaction Score
But then you MUST understand the other edge of that blade. Which is if you are fired for performance (and not cause) you GET the remainder of the contract.

So by your reasoning if it is OK for UConn to go scorched earth to fire a bad coach, its OK for KO to go scorched earth to play the race card.

Right?

I think KO should have been paid. I don't know how much both sides would have settled for. Firing him for cause was a desperate move made by a broke university. And now, claiming racial discrimination is a desperate move by a not-rich-as-imagined guy.

Reaction Score
No the lack of any settlement offer is what "escalated this".
Politely disagree. KO's legal team made it hard from the beginning for the school to ever think about settling. He always wanted a lot bigger number than he what he was due, given that the amount he was contractually due was zero. He violated the terms of his contract, pure and simple. The Calhoun contract is just a shiny object distraction. He didn't burn the bridge, he nuked it, and once you go there, you cant expect the school to roll out the checkbook. He simply has no one to blame but himself. He cheated and didn't win, those two things usually wont keep you employed as a $3m a year basketball coach.

Reaction Score
There was a time that I hoped a compromise settlement would be reached. Now I hope Ollie gets NOTHING. This lawsuit is a pathetic attempt to squeeze some money out of the University because Ollie knows he has no legitimate basis to be paid.

By the way, the fact that UConn hired TWO black assistant coaches AFTER Ollie was fired should help show that race had nothing to do with UConn's hiring and firing decisions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is not going to end well for UCONN, KO and DB. KO's name was dragged through the mud the last 2 yrs. He has nothing to lose at this point. $10 million is alot of money not to be fighting for. I belive KO can file a civil suit if it pertains to discrimination later on. This can drag on for yrs. SH should settle with KO's team now to end all the distractions.

Reaction Score
Politely disagree. KO's legal team made it hard from the beginning for the school to ever think about settling. He always wanted a lot bigger number than he what he was due, given that the amount he was contractually due was zero. He violated the terms of his contract, pure and simple. The Calhoun contract is just a shiny object distraction. He didn't burn the bridge, he nuked it, and once you go there, you cant expect the school to roll out the checkbook. He simply has no one to blame but himself. He cheated and didn't win, those two things usually wont keep you employed as a $3m a year basketball coach.
First off, I respect you response. 2nd, They (KO's lawyers)threw out a number....the school never responded, never countered, never tried to negotiate. I think it is pretty easy to show he was treated differently than his white predecessor who had many and in some cases more serious violations. It is not like JC's contract allowed him to break rules repeatedly. I wish they settled, which in my opinion is the right thing to do. Even if Uconn wins, how much do you think this whole thing is going to cost him.
On a side note, I see here as well as on FB all the comments about "the race card"....troubling for me that a bunch of white people referring to it as that. That in my opinion is exactly why there actually is a race card. (not referring to you or your post btw).

Reaction Score
First off, I respect you response. 2nd, They (KO's lawyers)threw out a number....the school never responded, never countered, never tried to negotiate. I think it is pretty easy to show he was treated differently than his white predecessor who had many and in some cases more serious violations. It is not like JC's contract allowed him to break rules repeatedly. I wish they settled, which in my opinion is the right thing to do. Even if Uconn wins, how much do you think this whole thing is going to cost him.
On a side note, I see here as well as on FB all the comments about "the race card"....troubling for me that a bunch of white people referring to it as that. That in my opinion is exactly why there actually is a race card. (not referring to you or your post btw).
Was the number that they threw out there not the full amount? Lol

Reaction Score
Perhaps DB isn't real fond of coaches who lose most of their games, get caught violating NCAA regulations, then lie about it?
fine, fire Ollie then and negotiate a settlemet in good faith. UCONN atheltics has gone way downhill under DB's watch. Look at all the bad contracts, declining attendence accross the board and the hockey rink debacle. He needs to go ASAP

Reaction Score
LOL. Clearly they weren't negotiating in good faith. Glad they didn't play that game.
OK...so how much do you think this is going to cost, defending the suit? While some on the board think it is frivolous, that is not how the real world works.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My guess - This is a last grasp attempt by his muddling lawyers to get a few peanuts thrown their/his way. Arbitration, we have been told is all or nothing and perhaps the consensus is UConn’s not settling on that and KO probably gets nothing.

If so, they aren't thinking properly. Would UCONN really settle now that a racial discrimination lawsuit has been filed? I think not. That would be admitting some sort of guilt in the public's eye. It's now a PR thing.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Click "Like" if you actually read the complaint that was filed.

The courthousenews.com article is weak journalism.

To summarize, the complaint is primarily for injunctive and equitable relief so that KO's legal right to pursue a racial discrimination lawsuit does not expire today. He claims that the University has essentially forced him to do this.

The complaint says he tried to have the University extend the time period to file, and the University declined. He tried to have the racial matter incorporated into the arbitration and the University declined.And he gave the University proper and ample notice months ago that this was an interest he might pursue.

The University was, it seems, firm in saying that if he chose the racial discrimination lawsuit, the University would drop further participation in the arbitration process which could not be wrapped up before today's. filing deadline for a racial discrimination lawsuit.

KO wanted both possibilities. The University said, in effect, "Choose one." He filed in court yesterday to get a ruling that would allow him to keep the other path from irretrievably expiring.

That's a quick and dirty summary, but 4 pages into this thread, there's almost nothing here that keeps itself to what has happened yesterday, irrespective of whether you favor one side or the other. This doesn't surprise me. But really, this is not quite the news that some are imagining.

Reaction Score
KO decided not to fully participate in his job responsibilities last couple years & broke rules but UConn is at fault? Him comparing his firing to JC is so pathetic, he should be embarrassed. Other than the first couple of years as UConn he basically "stole" money from UConn.

Reaction Score
To summarize, the complaint is primarily for injunctive and equitable relief so that KO's legal right to pursue a racial discrimination lawsuit does not expire today. He claims that the University has essentially forced him to do this.

The complaint says he tried to have the University extend the time period to file, and the University declined. He tried to have the racial matter incorporated into the arbitration and the University declined.And he gave the University proper and ample notice months ago that this was an interest he might pursue.

The University was, it seems, firm in saying that if he chose the racial discrimination lawsuit, the University would drop further participation in the arbitration process which could not be wrapped up before today's. filing deadline for a racial discrimination lawsuit.

KO wanted both possibilities. The University said, in effect, "Choose one." He filed in court yesterday to get a ruling that would allow him to keep the other path from irretrievably expiring.

The University is essentially just following/enforcing the agreed upon AAUP/UConn CBA Language. You don't get two bites of the same apple. Pick one or the other.

C

Chief00

This is not going to end well for UCONN, KO and DB. KO's name was dragged through the mud the last 2 yrs. He has nothing to lose at this point. $10 million is alot of money not to be fighting for. I belive KO can file a civil suit if it pertains to discrimination later on. This can drag on for yrs. SH should settle with KO's team now to end all the distractions.
And LOL at the idea he should keep Calhoun out if it. Calhoun employs the rat. But Ollie is supposed to play nice.

I hate to admit it but that’s a good point, unless he did it to remove the “rat” from the UConn scene to help UConn ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom