Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just starting on this thread. I'm sure if the ESPN article has been linked yet. Apparently Ollie is alleging that UConn "tried to prevent him from claiming a discrimination claim" because UConn said if you choose to litigate the you forgo the arbitration process. It's been a while since I looked but I think that is consistent with the contract.

Reaction Score
So let us clear something up. He is not saying he was fired because of his race, but treated differently than someone not of his race. Someone with more and as serious or more serious than his> Hard one to defend.

Reaction Score
And now, claiming racial discrimination is a desperate move by a not-rich-as-imagined guy.
This was the attorneys' idea. Highly doubt it was Ollie's idea.

And everyone, including Ollie, know this has nothing to do with race. It's reprehensible that they have to stoop to this level. This accusation is going no where because everyone will see it for what it is. A desperate, last ditch attempt to get money.

Reaction Score
To be fair, I’d do just about anything I could to get $10,000,000. Hard to quietly walk away from that kind of $$$.

The guy is divorced... of course he wants the cash. Unfortunate situation. As for pulling the race card... really dude?!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hate to admit it but that’s a good point, unless he did it to remove the “rat” from the UConn scene to help UConn ?

Wasn’t Miller already gone when he went rat?

I’m not so much defending Ollie - this is just what happens to a broke athletic department.

Everywhere else they just pay him to go away - hell they paid DIACO to go away.

Calhoun got away with worse and Diaco got paid.

Ollie they used a rat to try to fire him with cause - we know it’s because they have no money - but the white guys got treated differently - debating that just shows a bias.

Reaction Score
Click "Like" if you actually read the complaint that was filed.

The courthousenews.com article is weak journalism.

To summarize, the complaint is primarily for injunctive and equitable relief so that KO's legal right to pursue a racial discrimination lawsuit does not expire today. He claims that the University has essentially forced him to do this.

The complaint says he tried to have the University extend the time period to file, and the University declined. He tried to have the racial matter incorporated into the arbitration and the University declined.And he gave the University proper and ample notice months ago that this was an interest he might pursue.

The University was, it seems, firm in saying that if he chose the racial discrimination lawsuit, the University would drop further participation in the arbitration process which could not be wrapped up before today's. filing deadline for a racial discrimination lawsuit.

KO wanted both possibilities. The University said, in effect, "Choose one." He filed in court yesterday to get a ruling that would allow him to keep the other path from irretrievably expiring.

That's a quick and dirty summary, but 4 pages into this thread, there's almost nothing here that keeps itself to what has happened yesterday, irrespective of whether you favor one side or the other. This doesn't surprise me. But really, this is not quite the news that some are imagining.

I do not agree with the claim, but his attorneys have to keep his options open to create leverage.

Reaction Score
What if he put the racial aspect aside? Which he should have done, but did Calhoun have the same or worse violations that were not acted on by UCONN? Just wondering.

But it is about the language in their respective contracts. That is what dictates how they are treated. If they had the exact same language, KO "could" have a case. If they do not have the same language any comparison is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
This is not going to end well for UCONN, KO and DB. KO's name was dragged through the mud the last 2 yrs. He has nothing to lose at this point. $10 million is alot of money not to be fighting for. I belive KO can file a civil suit if it pertains to discrimination later on. This can drag on for yrs. SH should settle with KO's team now to end all the distractions.
And he can keep spending money he doesn't have on attorneys. Weren't you the one who thought he would never get fired? Go root for St Johns like you promised. This isn't going to end well for Ollie. UConn and DB appear to be just fine.

Reaction Score
Ironic because KO fired the only white coach on his staff....Glen Miller should do the same thing.
And I actually like Coach Miller! He’s passionate about the game of basketball

C

Chief00

This is so counter to the persona that Ollie tried sell to everybody. Was it all fake or did the divorce, struggling as a coach, and eventual firing sap him of that innate desire to overcome obstacles and look for the next opportunity to succeed both personally and professionally?

This discrimination card is the ultimate escalator.

It shows why exactly no one is knocking on his door with an opportunity. KO is being taken down a rathole by his motley crew of attorneys, ruining his reputation for any decent future.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ummmm.... could you have you used crazy/nuts/ridiculous instead? ;)
CL82: [thinks] Wait, what? Why? [pause]... Ohhhh.

Reaction Score
It shows exactly no one is knocking on his door with an opportunity. KO is being taken down a rathole by his motley crew of attorneys,
KO is choosing this path. In the end, he employs them.

Reaction Score
It shows why exactly no one is knocking on his door with an opportunity. KO is being taken down a rathole by his motley crew of attorneys, ruining his reputation for any decent future.
And you know this how?

Reaction Score
I think it is pretty easy to show he was treated differently than his white predecessor who had many and in some cases more serious violations. It is not like JC's contract allowed him to break rules repeatedly.

He was treated differently than someone else. The someone else happened to be someone of a different race. But that doesn't mean he was treated differently because of his race.

There is no causation, unless somehow he can prove otherwise which we haven't heard a peep about (and would be legitimately surprising to me), considering he could have been legitimately fired for any number of other reasons.

If he had such proof, he could have used it in the arbitration instead of needing a separate lawsuit.

Reaction Score

Ollie would have never been hired if it weren’t for Calhoun. This is ridiculous and another day UConn is dragged through the mud. It’s already on ESPN. It affect the school, the current team, future recruits.

Reaction Score
And he can keep spending money he doesn't have on attorneys. Weren't you the one who thought he would never get fired? Go root for St Johns like you promised. This isn't going to end well for Ollie. UConn and DB appear to be just fine.
STJOHNS are undefeated. Unfortunately my wife n kids r now big UCONN fans since I settle in CT 15 yrs ago. They dont want to watch St Johns with me. They don't want to talk about STJ with me and my daughter still insist on us going to the girls games. Anyway, KO is not spending any money on this lawyer thing. This is civil and the attorneys will only get pay if they win/settle on something

CL82

Reaction Score
We all agree UConn should have paid him at least something? He won a national championship. However, racial discrimination brings it to a level where UConn should just say bleep it and not pay him. It’s such a ridiculous claim
Um, no, we don't all agree with that. Nor do we all agree the fact he raised a racial discrimination claim means that UConn should be reactionary.

This claim is a hail mary pass, entirely in keeping with his representation to date. Very short sighted, unlikely to be productive and ultimately will negatively impact his clients reputation and employment prospects. Just not good lawyering, in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom