Old but famous bands today; worth seeing? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Old but famous bands today; worth seeing?

Reaction Score
I saw Steve Winwood earlie this month for $35 at Foxwoods.

He played the obligatory solo hit "Roll With It", and every other song was Blind Faith, Traffic or Spencer Davis Group.

Not only did he sound phenomenal, but he played lead guitar on several tunes including Can't Find My Way Home, Dear Mr. Fantasy and Had to Cry Today.

His back up band was amazing as was his daughter who opened for him and sang on a couple tunes with him.
Wow. I would pay good money for that show.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine saw the Moody Blues in Vegas. Said they were amazing. Most of the original lineup is still there, and for guys who made their first album 50 years ago the fact that they are still selling out their shows is pretty remarkable.

My wife wants to go see James Taylor when he comes to town. Not sure I want to plot down $125 a ticket though. Now if it was James Taylor and Carole King I would drop that much in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
By the Way, best Willie Nelson story to me. And I have a few. At some point in the 1970's my dad and I sort of disconnected. One day I went to visit and he was playing an album. I was intrigued ans asked what it was.
Red Headed Stranger was the bridge that moved us past the disconnect.
RIP dad.

Reaction Score
Would like to see 38 Special but they play the south and west mostly.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Saw the Psychadelic Furs last night at the Ridgefield Playhouse. They sounded great, unfortunately had some drunk buffoons around us.
I mean that should be a pshhedeluc furs show. Embrace the drunk buffoonery.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Worth noting that I just picked up Van Morrison tickets today. He's playing in Boston on 9/1 and also in Bridgeport on 9/1.

Reaction Score
I find that the bands stay strong, maybe even get better, with age. But the singers lose the range, so it depends on how they relied on the voice. Raspy rockers that didn't hit the high notes do okay. I've enjoyed Springsteen and Billy Joel. If they're considered old Green Day, Wheezer, Ben Folds have all been great to awesome.

Hair band singers just can't hit the notes. The shows are still good because of the bands, but G&R, Motley Crue, etc. are just meh. A counter to that is the bands that have replaced the singers with younger guys. Journey and Queen with Adam Lambert were good.

Reaction Score
I saw blues legend Pinetop Perkins(who died at 97)when he was only 95. He still carried a 2 hour set.

Reaction Score
Billy Joel still brings it, seeing him again in May @ MSG. Hot Tuna is still awesome, both acoustic and electric shows. Jorma still wails. Stay away from Marshall Tucker, the lead singer is last man standing and spends most of the concert sitting on a stool onstage drinking a beer and watching the cover band.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Billy Joel still brings it, seeing him again in May @ MSG. Hot Tuna is still awesome, both acoustic and electric shows. Jorma still wails. Stay away from Marshall Tucker, the lead singer is last man standing and spends most of the concert sitting on a stool onstage drinking a beer and watching the cover band.
Sounds like one of my gigs.

Reaction Score
Post/avatar/handle
9B09944C-8D80-44DE-853B-AA53E29B6C06.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member