Old but famous bands today; worth seeing? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Old but famous bands today; worth seeing?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Billy Joel still brings it, seeing him again in May @ MSG. Hot Tuna is still awesome, both acoustic and electric shows. Jorma still wails. Stay away from Marshall Tucker, the lead singer is last man standing and spends most of the concert sitting on a stool onstage drinking a beer and watching the cover band.
Billy Joel is great; a huge sing-along with a bunch of drunk moms. I love his "I'm not gonna play any new crap...because I don't have any" spiel. He always delivers, especially at MSG.

I've seen Hot Tuna a bunch and yeah they still play great, and yeah they still play way longer than my appetite for them though.

I saw Marshall Tucker at Fort Ram in Fort Collins, CO in 1990 or '91 and Doug Gray was already doing that, and he already had those ridiculous dentures. We ended up standing next to some family members of his and it was pretty awkward.

Reaction Score
AC/DC, Springsteen, Aerosmith, Deep Purple and Blue Oyster Cult are 5 bands that I have seen both when they were young and when they were old. All were still pretty great years later, especially Springsteen and AC/DC, but I must say that the 2nd time for all was still 10 years ago at least. Did Ian Gillen sing "Child in Time" like he did in his prime? Nope. Was he wearing some kind of stretchy pants? Yep. Did he still sound pretty good? Heck yeah!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
ok cool, so my 1st phish show was at greatwoods in mass '92. we drove up from uconn with no tix & hopped a fence for a free show. it was a great concert. not GD good, but good.
My first phish was 87 at living room in providence where they filled in for max creek on a Wednesday night. 12 people in room. 4 dollar admission :)

Reaction Score
My first phish was 87 at living room in providence where they filled in for max creek on a Wednesday night. 12 people in room. 4 dollar admission :)
whoa, very nice

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Saw the Psychadelic Furs last night at the Ridgefield Playhouse. They sounded great, unfortunately had some drunk buffoons around us.
Back in my karaoke days, I did a mean Richard Butler (and Billy Idol, too).

There's pretty much nobody from the 60s I would see today. I've lived this long w/o seeing the Stones, I'll make it a few more years.

Also at the point where small doses of old guys are probably better than full shows. I love the Kinks, but I wouldn't pay a premium for a reunion tour if it ever did happen. Ray just can't do the hard stuff anymore.

At this point, I don't even think Ringo could put together a decent All Starr band with the remnants of still-standing 60's or 70s artists, which is probably why the last decade's worth of tours is mostly 80s AOR stuff, like Mr. Mister and Men At Work. The best All Starr band was the Frampton-Jack Bruce-Gary Booker tour in '97, and if you haven't seen that, you should (and you'll wish Ringo just stayed behind the kit and let those three do their thing). He is bringing back Edgar Winter for this year's tour, and Frankenstein is still a tour-de-force, but beyond that... meh.

Reaction Score
ZZ Top although better to have caught them a year ago before Dusty Hill passed. Alice Cooper puts on a great, theatrical show.

August_West

Reaction Score
Mine were in Burlington in 1985. Finbar's, Hunt's and later Nectar's. Oh and Goddard College and UVM Student Union.
I saw nectars but not until 88. Also saw a triple bill with max creek phish and some reggae band in that frame.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I saw nectars but not until 88. Also saw a triple bill with max creek phish and some reggae band in that frame.
I lived in Burlington for the summer of '86 or '87 and we'd always cruise by Nectar's on the way home to see what was happening, and grab gravy fries of course. One night Trey was deep into some Gamehenge stuff and there were just a handful of tripped out people standing around. We left because it was too weird.

Reaction Score
I lived in Burlington for the summer of '86 or '87 and we'd always cruise by Nectar's on the way home to see what was happening, and grab gravy fries of course. One night Trey was deep into some Gamehenge stuff and there were just a handful of tripped out people standing around. We left because it was too
noice. and for the record, it was santana/phish 92. santana was amazing as always

Reaction Score
Saw Dead & Company this past summer at Wrigley. They should just rename themselves the John Mayer band. Old hippies mixed in with a majority 20's and 30's something crowd who were there to see Mayer. Glad the ticket was free.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
noice. and for the record, it was santana/phish 92. santana was amazing as always
I was at that show too. I remember that Santana was very spacey and very political. I spent most of his set lying on my back on the lawn staring at the sky

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was stunned how much I enjoyed Toto when they opened for Boz a few years ago. We'll be there when they open for Journey. It'll be the last stop on the tour.

Reaction Score
Just saw Deep Purple ( absolutely amazing at 77ish ) backed by BOC ( absolutely awful, terrible sucked) and followed that up with DreamTheater for 3 wonderful hours ( front row seats that were pricey but worth every penny). Next on the list,
Journey
Kansas
TOTO
Who
Bon Jovi
STYX
Lover Boy
REO Speedwagon
Alice In Chains
and a few more that I can’t remember plus a former band mate and life long friend Jimi Bell who’s now in Autograph and you guys are lucky if you like his music to be able to see him with various bands in CT. ( I’m in Florida) Beyond Purple, House of Lords and Max Explosion. Lots of good music to occupy my time with until UConn is back in action.

Reaction Score
Dave Brubeck played at the Palace in Stamford right around when he was 90. His age didn’t affect the music at all: smooth, low-key jazz that focused more on harmony than technique. Was a treasure to see him live, almost a heavenly show.

I mentioned in another thread that I saw Fogerty in September. He sounded great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was stunned how much I enjoyed Toto when they opened for Boz a few years ago. We'll be there when they open for Journey. It'll be the last stop on the tour.
Great band but not the same without Bobby Kimball, obviously the same for Journey and Steve Perry. The songs are still great though.

Reaction Score
Uriah Heep was still really good when I saw them in 2019. Skynrd also still good, saw them last summer and in 2018. Tull's voice was bad, but musically still there. Edgar Winter sounded pretty damn good in 2018.

Reaction Score
Mine were in Burlington in 1985. Finbar's, Hunt's and later Nectar's. Oh and Goddard College and UVM Student Union.
I’m 35, so my first Phish show was It when I was 17.

Set the standard for large scale music festivals and after that all others paled in comparison.

August_West

Reaction Score
I’m 35, so my first Phish show was It when I was 17.

Set the standard for large scale music festivals and after that all others paled in comparison.
2.0 noob in the house. ;-) How was Coventry?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel like you played with Max Creek at least for a while, right?

August_West

Reaction Score
I feel like you played with Max Creek at least for a while, right?
Never a member just a lot of sit ins for a long long time now. My favorite people. I was and am still in side bands with a couple members. We do a gig or 2 a year maybe. Doing magic mountain in VT in early July.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Never a member just a lot of sit ins for a long long time now. My favorite people
I loved them back in the day and by that I mean late 70s and early 80s. They just put on a great show. I’m sure they still do

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I’d been monitoring Ticketmaster for Skid Row tix and finally a PA show about an hour away popped up. Sunday 6pm show. Trying to decide if it’s worth being a zombie at work the next day.

Would love to see Bon Jovi as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom