Old but famous bands today; worth seeing? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Old but famous bands today; worth seeing?

Reaction Score
I'll probably see Dead & Company when they visit Hartford this year...looking forward to that one. Happy to see they have good reviews. Wonder how @August_West feels about it

Dead & Co has been so much fun these past few years. Mayer has really embraced the culture and impressed in the JG role thus far, though he is his own worst enemy at times. OB is super fun. Recommend seeing them live before the run ends

Reaction Score
Dead & Co has been so much fun these past few years. Mayer has really embraced the culture and impressed in the JG role thus far, though he is his own worst enemy at times. OB is super fun. Recommend seeing them live before the run ends
John Mayer is such a gifted player. He quickly broke his chick flick mold playing with Buddy Guy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was hoping for a Kinks reunion until about 10 years ago. Much as I love 'em, I likely wouldn't pay for a ticket today. Ray can't bring it anymore as a Kink. Dave isn't what he was pre-stroke. I would, however, see either solo (btw, Dave is in Hartford on 4/6).

It's kind of fitting that their last performance of note was Hatred on the Tonight Show.

Saw Ray about 3 years ago in Boston. He was superb. An all time icon.

Reaction Score
I saw Steve Winwood earlie this month for $35 at Foxwoods.

He played the obligatory solo hit "Roll With It", and every other song was Blind Faith, Traffic or Spencer Davis Group.

Not only did he sound phenomenal, but he played lead guitar on several tunes including Can't Find My Way Home, Dear Mr. Fantasy and Had to Cry Today.

His back up band was amazing as was his daughter who opened for him and sang on a couple tunes with him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I mostly go to these old band shows. All of these have been great
  • Cheap Trick
  • J. Geils (not long before he passed)
  • Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo
  • B52s
  • Peter Frampton
The combo shows of 80's bands can be fun. Like Psychadelic Furs plus Squeeze. That was great.

Reaction Score
By old I assume you mean bands in their 60s and older. I had the same positive experience with Daltrey and Townshend a few years back. I expected Roger's voice to be a weak spot but he was surprisingly good that night. The backing band was Simon Townshend and Ringo's son Zach Starkey was fantastic. Was able to knock the top artist off my bucket list last year when I saw Clapton at The Garden. He sounded fantastic but he's been playing a fairly static setlist the past 4 years or so. Was so happy to see him but for $230 for a 200 level seat, I wouldn't do it again unless he changes up his setlist. Here's my list of other older artists I've seen the past 5 years.

Steely Dan-No Becker anymore but still a great show. Fagan stayed within his vocal range, great overall musicianship

Petty and Heartbreakers-Fortunate to see them before Tom passed, especially in their home state of Florida. Mike Campbell is one of my favorite guitar players, hope he stays active.

Dead and Company-With Mayer I've seen them three times, he and Oteil Burbridge have really energized the band, I highly recommend them. Mayer has really stepped into the Jerry role and been a perfect fit.

Van Halen-Eddie is clean and playing great. If Dave stays within his now limited range they're good to see, especially since ticket prices are pretty reasonable.

Pearl Jam-Current top bucket list band, excited to be seeing them Labor Day Weekend at Fenway
Without a doubt, Dead & Co. A good CT boy has pumped new life into The Dead, not by imitating Jerry but channeling him in his own way!!!! I can’t wait for the summer tour and return to Hartford where I saw my first show 40+ years ago!!!!

Reaction Score
Last show I saw was King Diamond in 2015. Man is losing his voice.

He's famous amongst metal fans.

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest, U2 and Springsteen are old and they’re worth every penny. Saw U2 last May and went to Springsteen’s last tour. Never sat down and had the time of my life at both.. saw The Eagles before Frey passed on, but can’t get myself to go now..
It is subjective obviously, but I once was in your camp and now mostly disagree. I saw the Stones 1990-ish and fully realized it was past their prime, likewise the Who around that period. Saw the Stones again in Raleigh 2016 or so (free ticket) and although it was fun, it clearly was something way different. Nowadays I don't want to taint my memories of seeing U2 in 1988 with the over-the-hill version or see another Springsteen show that crowds out memories from seeing the Born in the USA tour in NJ back in the day. And they are clearly over-priced.

I'm against the whole cash grab conceptually and really hate how it takes up room, arena space and mostly attention space for new bands. The 50's & 60's bands weren't monopolizing the arenas back when I was going to my first concerts in early 80s & I think it hurts the music industry that bands from 70-90s still dominate the biggest stages.

Hypocritically, I did see Billy Joel (for first time so maybe that's the difference) at Fenway in 2016 and would like to go again. It was great and worth the ridiculous price!

Reaction Score
It is subjective obviously, but I once was in your camp and now mostly disagree. I saw the Stones 1990-ish and fully realized it was past their prime, likewise the Who around that period. Saw the Stones again in Raleigh 2016 or so (free ticket) and although it was fun, it clearly was something way different. Nowadays I don't want to taint my memories of seeing U2 in 1988 with the over-the-hill version or see another Springsteen show that crowds out memories from seeing the Born in the USA tour in NJ back in the day. And they are clearly over-priced.

I'm against the whole cash grab conceptually and really hate how it takes up room, arena space and mostly attention space for new bands. The 50's & 60's bands weren't monopolizing the arenas back when I was going to my first concerts in early 80s & I think it hurts the music industry that bands from 70-90s still dominate the biggest stages.

Hypocritically, I did see Billy Joel (for first time so maybe that's the difference) at Fenway in 2016 and would like to go again. It was great and worth the ridiculous price!
My last U2 show was last May in Vancouver - opening night for the Joshua Tree Tour. They were fantastic. It seemed nothing like a cash/grab to me. My last Springsteen tour was The River at MSG and I almost missed my train home because he played so long. I was exhausted watching him. And I feel blessed (corny, but true) to have seen The Eagles again (easily my 15th time seeing them over their career) while Frey was still alive.

I get your point - some do come out of retirement because they need the money. But these guys I've mentioned clearly don't need it.

Reaction Score

I wonder if Billy Joel was as good as the first time I saw him in the 70’s in the Quinnipiac College gym?

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It is subjective obviously, but I once was in your camp and now mostly disagree. I saw the Stones 1990-ish and fully realized it was past their prime, likewise the Who around that period. Saw the Stones again in Raleigh 2016 or so (free ticket) and although it was fun, it clearly was something way different

I thought the stones were better last year than the first year I saw the in 1981

Reaction Score
I saw U2 last year at Gillette Stadium for the Joshua Tree anniversary Tour. The show was really good. Bono's voice is better than ever. I am going to see them at the Belle Center in Montreal in June for the "Innocence/Experience" Tour. This will be my 14th time seeing U2 since the War Tour in 1983. The Band still brings it and puts on a really good show. I highly recommend seeing them if you have the opportunity.

Another old band that still rock and puts on a really good show is Rush.

Reaction Score
I wonder if it was as good as the first time I saw him in the 70’s in the Quinnipiac College gym?
Clearly not right. That's part of how the pricing is determined. People who never saw X band and really regret missing out buy the experience now and feel a little better. So now when I listen to Songs in the Attic my pretense that its 1982 and I'm in Nassau Coliseum listening to Miami 2017 is slightly enhanced.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
All I ever see is old codgers (and codgettes). The Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago were ok, but those Dead and Co shows were exponentially better.

Then there's this... Which prompts the question, how many grandmothers look good in a catsuit? (Saw her in Ess a year or so back, it was her first US show; although she used CBGB as a backdrop to the video for the remake of Nur Getraumt.)

Reaction Score
+1 on Cheap Trick. Robin Zander can still sing.

I was also darn near blown away by Toto when I caught them recently. Steve Lukather is a great guitarist. They even did a Robin Trower cover.

Jeff Porcaro and I believe a few others were session musicians before they started Toto. They’re professional musicians, *probably* better than most other artists at their respective crafts. I caught them live a dozen or so years ago. They’re phenomenal live. Of course, I just might throw a beer across the bar at the next guy who plays ‘Africa’ on the jukebox...

Reaction Score

Dokken just released new music last week :)

George Lynch can still shred.

Reaction Score
My wife and I saw Chicago and Earth, Wind and Fire at Mohegan Sun.
Chicago still had the original Horn section, obviously Terry Kath wasn't there, but they were good.
Philip Baily was with EWF...nothing but hits, was great.

Reaction Score
My favorite is John Fogarty. Have seen him at least a half dozen times. Looking forward to seeing him with ZZ Top on 5/27 at Mohegan.
Best concert I ever saw was Paul McCartney at the xl center!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Saw EW&F two years ago at Tanglewood, when they had 3 original members remaining. Turned it out, they added one of the member's son. They are one of those groups that you can sing every song, which to me is important for longevity.

My daughter (26 at the time) who didn't know or care for them, never sat down, they are that good!
How right you are. Saw them at the American Music Theater in Lancaster PA. Front row middle seats. Although after the first song everyone was off their butts. Amazing show.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
My wife and I saw Chicago and Earth, Wind and Fire at Mohegan Sun.
Chicago still had the original Horn section, obviously Terry Kath wasn't there, but they were good.
Philip Baily was with EWF...nothing but hits, was great.
Saw Chicago myself. My wife was taking a picture of one of the guys, he grabbed her cellphone and took her picture. Funny. That dude playing the trombone is like 5"1.
Chicago will shake your hand, knuckles, high fives, but no autographs.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I've been to countless shows in my life. The Metallica show I went to last year was jaw dropping.

Totally agree on Metallica. Saw them in 1986 at Monsters of Rock and then in 2016. 2016 was one the best show I've ever seen. Go see BOC and have fun!

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest, U2 and Springsteen are old and they’re worth every penny. Saw U2 last May and went to Springsteen’s last tour. Never sat down and had the time of my life at both.. saw The Eagles before Frey passed on, but can’t get myself to go now..

I agree with both, but U2 isn't close to Bruce. I have seen Bruce a few times and there is no comparison. Unfortunately until his Broadway run is over, he won't have a "real" tour. He was still playing four hour shows at the end of the last tour. You can see me in this video from Gotenborg, Sweden last summer (I am the guy with the orange sleeved shirt). bruce springsteen gothenburg proshot - YouTube . My middle school has a Bruce Springsteen club: Jukebox Graduates

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom