Olander-Love the kid, but... | The Boneyard

Olander-Love the kid, but...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3149

He's gotta contribute more. Shooting 0 fgs is pathetic. When he's good, he's mediocre. When he's bad, it's almost like there's a waste of a player on the court. Pretty pathetic really... I want him to be a senior leader next year, but at this rate he's gonna be learning some things from Kentan. Absolutely brutal performance tonight.

Reaction Score
When he's good that rare. One game this year. I would lobe to see his stats. He's supposed to be a good mid range shooter maybe in practice. Love the kids because they were loyal. But KO has to find others to put on the floor next year or i guess in 2 years.

Not to happy with Boat right now either. He might average 15 but it's an ugly 15. And gets beat every time by whoever he guards. Can't be an NBAer if you are short not hick on d can't stay in front of your man and really aren't a pg. Meaning for a short guy doesnt penetrate and dish and not lights out shooter.

Where was DD tonight? Lifting weights?

Reaction Score
I really want to see him bust out of this. There was some hope after Notre Dame, but he hasn't approached that level since. There was a play in the second half before he came out when he had a chance to go get an offense rebound - he was the only one really making a play for it. But instead of going and getting it, he just sort of batted at it as if he was wearing a dolphin costume and only had flippers available. The ball went back in the general direction of the basket, not close enough to the basket to be a shot, and there were no blue jerseys around for it to kept alive for, so it was totally purposeless. it just fell to the ground where a St. John's player scooped it up and went the other way with it.

I was kinda dumbfounded as to why he made no effort to pull it in. Those are the plays that get you playing time - saying this rebound is MINE. Wolf had a couple mans rebounds in the second half.

Reaction Score
Don't want to bag on the kid but he has had a horrible year, one good game and the rest have pretty much been donuts. Not sure I've ever seen a 6'9 guy have so many 0 rebounding games, it's unacceptable.

Reaction Score
He doesn't attack because when he does and makes a mistake, everyone says he sucks and shouldn't be on the court.....

Put this guy in the right spots and get him some confidence and you'll see the cooley game a lot more

Reaction Score
He doesn't attack because when he does and makes a mistake, everyone says he sucks and shouldn't be on the court.....

Put this guy in the right spots and get him some confidence and you'll see the cooley game a lot more

Bull! He is what he is. He needs to find his spots. Maybe your watching him in the gym. But if you go back and watch his tape he misses open jumpers. We put him at the foul line his spot and he didn't deliver. Period!

Reaction Score
I just want to see him rebound. I don't care if he gets a put back blocked into the rafters, or if he holds it patiently until a guard comes and takes it from him, just get on the glass. If a guy has pulled in a dozen rebounds, and takes a bad shot or two, it is hard to get too angry with that.

He did have more space when Andre and Alex were occupying post players and was more effective that way. In fact, it was his effectiveness that probably started the whole Alex implosion as he was losing minutes. It is harder for him now, but at the same time, he is older and wiser and should be able to handle a little more.

Reaction Score
Bull! He is what he is. He needs to find his spots. Maybe your watching him in the gym. But if you go back and watch his tape he misses open jumpers. We put him at the foul line his spot and he didn't deliver. Period!

I know what he is capable of. That Notre Dame game was a small sample, his struggle is completely mental. He's going to break out of his rusty cage at some point with all of these minutes. Playing limited minutes as a 4 for 2 years then starting at 5 isn't exactly an easy transition. People give him flack for being a junior but he's a "freshman" center

Reaction Score
Folks, we have this discussion every game. Olander is what he is. He's not a Big East talent, hasn't ever been, never will be. Best case scenario he's a kid who comes off the bench and plays 5-10 minutes a game like he did as a freshman. We have nine games remaining, and my expectation is that Olander will continue to struggle on both ends of the floor. He's not in a 'funk', he's just not a very good player.

Reaction Score
I know what he is capable of. That Notre Dame game was a small sample, his struggle is completely mental. He's going to break out of his rusty cage at some point with all of these minutes. Playing limited minutes as a 4 for 2 years then starting at 5 isn't exactly an easy transition. People give him flack for being a junior but he's a "freshman" center

Cmon, man. In the modern college game there are no 5s. 4, 5, they are both posts. Whatever. Go get the ball show some toughness and pride. I hate writing kids off but he does not have the mental toughness or the physical skills to cut it at this level.

Its unbelievable thaymt we are 15-6, by the way, with our post players. I mean, we have low-major quality bigs.

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's simply overmatched at this level.

It's not a lack of effort or a lack of trying - it is what it is.

Reaction Score

Please. There is absolutely no difference between Olander's responsibilities on the court this year compared to any other year.

Reaction Score
I agree that he's an end of the bench Big East talent at best but still at 6'9 he should be able to get a rebound or two.

Reaction Score
You're never going to see me bash a husky. We have everyone else in BBall doing that. Lets all encourage our bigs to improve. Negativity gets us nowhere

Reaction Score
You're never going to see me bash a husky. We have everyone else in BBall doing that. Lets all encourage our bigs to improve. Negativity gets us nowhere

You realize that we're not part of the team, right? I hope the point of your earlier post was not that Olander doesn't try to rebound the ball because a bunch of fat losers on a message board will be mean to him if he doesn't get it.

Reaction Score
Not even surprised the 5 vs. 4 argument has been brought up, didn't realize Tyler was batttling 7'0”, 270lbs beasts night in and night out. This board's distorted view of the college game and the players who make up the positions 1-5 continue to amaze me.

Reaction Score
Not even surprised the 5 vs. 4 argument has been brought up, didn't realize Tyler was batttling 7'0”, 270lbs beasts night in and night out. This board's distorted view of the college game and the players who make up the positions 1-5 continue to amaze me.

I agree with you. Most teams don't trot out a front line of 6'11, 6'10, 6'9 or 7'3, 6'7, 6'9 or 7'0, 6'9, 6'8. That's really just been us, from basically 2005 to 2012.

Most teams have one psuedo-traditional post player, a few 6'4-6'7 wings, and a few smaller point or combo guard. You know, kind of like our lineup this year. The difference between us this year and other teams isn't size, it's skill and strength in the front line.

Reaction Score
You realize that we're not part of the team, right? I hope the point of your earlier post was not that Olander doesn't try to rebound the ball because a bunch of fat losers on a message board will be mean to him if he doesn't get it.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that bashing our center accomplishes nothing, while encouraging him may spark some good production. UConn is not a big school. (It is for CT but isn't really as massive as people say it is) Connecticut is not a big state. Everyone sees Tyler at games, in dining halls, walking around, etc. You think he doesn't overhear people saying that he sucks all -n time??? It's clearly messed with his head. His confidence is way down

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Please. There is absolutely no difference between Olander's responsibilities on the court this year compared to any other year.

Well at least last year he had Drummond and Mumu

Reaction Score
You can't say that Olander had equal responsibility last year when there was a top 10 draft pick big to work around...

Reaction Score
You can't say that Olander had equal responsibility last year when there was a top 10 draft pick big to work around...

No one is bashing....stating the fact he was worthless last night is not and never will be bashing on the Boneyard......he needs to step up or stay in the pine, simple. He is overmatched and while we need bodies this year, he may not see the court next year even with raw athletes coming in if he does nothing to improve.

Reaction Score

What were his "responsibilities" last year? Rebound, defend the post, set screens, post up from time to time, knock down short jumpers. You mean to tell me he's being asked to do anything different this year?

People think there is a huge difference between playing the 4 and 5 in college. There's virtually no difference at all. There are basically 3 positions in college - guards, wings, and post players. The idea that the struggles of Oriakhi (last year) and Olander (this year) are attributed to being out of position is ridiculous. There are only two guys on the entire roster - Wolf and whoever our point guard is at a given time - that aren't playing "out of position."

Giffey grabbed 10 rebounds last night for crying out loud.

Reaction Score
Wasn't able to see the St John's game, but I noticed vs. USF the inordinate amount of times he would be the first husky in the offensive zone after a missed shot, often looking for a lead pass. I'm sure we'd all like him to get an easy bucket or two, but it looked to me like he isn't always committed to crashing the defensive boards.

Reaction Score
i dont know why KO doesn't play Wolf more. i guess he racks up the fouls pretty quick, but for real, an ineffective Wolf is more effective than a ineffective TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom