Olander-Love the kid, but... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olander-Love the kid, but...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't want to bag on the kid but he has had a horrible year, one good game and the rest have pretty much been donuts. Not sure I've ever seen a 6'9 guy have so many 0 rebounding games, it's unacceptable.
I agree. Don's see what the coaching staff ever saw in him. Playing for EO Smith, he rarely if ever faced any real challenging competition. He' s barely a role player. Do I rule out the possibility that he can bust out his last two years? No. But I don't even see good fundamental skills to build on from rebound positioning to physical strength to shooting. You name it and Tyler has a long,long way to go.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE PIRATES!!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Here we go again. TO is who he is for whatever reasons and that allows us to vent! I have no problem with venting but I'm not seeing the same complainers starting threads or pointing out the game RJ had which was significant in the comeback.

We all have flaws but there are some attitude flaws with some posters that seem to closely mirror the flaws with players or teams.

There is constructive criticism and there is bashing. Sometimes it is obvious. Sometimes there is a fine line between the two. freescooter writes in a measured manner. So his tone sounds like criticism. But his music is one note. He doesn't give credit to KO when good things happen and when negative things happen he points it out! There are posters who love the sexy player but struggle to complement the awkward player in any fashion.
There are posters who are judgmental. They condemn players for who they are as opposed to discussing mistakes or explaining things they observe about the players that can be informative to the rest of us!

Putting someone down to make ourselves feel good is not a very good way to go through life! It is far more of a problem than being unable to get a rebound imo!

Reaction Score
No one is bashing....stating the fact he was worthless last night is not and never will be bashing on the Boneyard......he needs to step up or stay in the pine, simple. He is overmatched and while we need bodies this year, he may not see the court next year even with raw athletes coming in if he does nothing to improve.

As far as I'm concerned, you used a good example to explain the difference which is thus:

"He was worthless last night. He gave us nothing." - critical of his play, harsh but fair

"He is worthless. A waste of a scholarship." - personal attack, unfair

Sort of like when you have an argument and say "you're acting like an balloon knot." The person responds "how dare you call me an balloon knot?" And you answer, "I didn't, I said you are acting like one. If I thought you were an balloon knot, I'd say you are just being yourself."

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
TO is awful. There's no sugar coating it. A kid that big should be able to rebound the ball.

Reaction Score
Olander isn't doing his job and he actually believes he deserves more touches and minutes. He has no concept of playing well, or I should say playing hard. maybe you guys haven't noticed but ollie has implemented the hook. If your caught ball watching your hittin the pine. (He cant do it that much due to our abhorrent roster) I will bash olander. We need comp for him in practice -someone to rough em up.

Reaction Score
Facey may be light in the ass but the kid plays hard and has a motor, he'll be able to grab some boards just based on his athleticism/motor, he's gonna push for minutes. If Nolan can learn to play without picking up a foul on every defensive possession he'll push for time as well, when he does get the opportunity to play I actually see him trying to put a body on someone when a shot goes up. TO had his shot this year, a golden opportunity to cement himself, next year things aren't going to be so easy as far as being handed minutes by default.

Reaction Score
As far as I'm concerned, you used a good example to explain the difference which is thus:

"He was worthless last night. He gave us nothing." - critical of his play, harsh but fair

"He is worthless. A waste of a scholarship." - personal attack, unfair

Sort of like when you have an argument and say "you're acting like an ." The person responds "how dare you call me an ?" And you answer, "I didn't, I said you are acting like one. If I thought you were an , I'd say you are just being yourself."

I'm not sure I agree or not because I think you believe I said " he is worthless and a waste of a scholarship" at some point and I did not and won't!!! While I think you may have agreed with me I'm unsure so thanks I think :confused:

Reaction Score
He's gotta contribute more. Shooting 0 fgs is pathetic. When he's good, he's mediocre. When he's bad, it's almost like there's a waste of a player on the court. Pretty pathetic really... I want him to be a senior leader next year, but at this rate he's gonna be learning some things from Kentan. Absolutely brutal performance tonight.
It is time to lay off Olander, he is what he is: a big guy who is a decent short range shooter. He has never boxed out well (in fact he almost never gets a body on an opponent). We should probably stop expecting his rebounding fundamnetals and skills to ever be more than they are now.Remember, he was not a highly recruited player. The problem is we see an occasional good game and start to think he has turned things around only be disappointed. I find it easier and less frustrating not to have expectations as far as Tyler is concerned.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It is time to lay off Olander, he is what he is: a big guy who is a decent short range shooter. He has never boxed out well (in fact he almost never gets a body on an opponent). We should probably stop expecting his rebounding fundamnetals and skills to ever be more than they are now.Remember, he was not a highly recruited player. The problem is we see an occasional good game and start to think he has turned things around only be disappointed. I find it easier and less frustrating not to have expectations as far as Tyler is concerned.
Actually I've seen him box out his man quite effectively at times and other times he doesn't. But when he boxes out he stops and doesn't begin to go towards the ball after it comes out of the rim. He has physical limitations, but imo, a good part of his failure is his mindset.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree or not because I think you believe I said " he is worthless and a waste of a scholarship" at some point and I did not and won't!!! While I think you may have agreed with me I'm unsure so thanks I think :confused:

Don't worry - I agreed with you. You gave an example of the first one - "useless last night". Critical of performance, non-personal.

The second one was just a hypothetical - used to contrast with your statement, showing how two posts with similar language can fall on either side of the line.

Reaction Score
Don't worry - I agreed with you. You gave an example of the first one - "useless last night". Critical of performance, non-personal.

The second one was just a hypothetical - used to contrast with your statement, showing how two posts with similar language can fall on either side of the line.

All good, just read it a couple ways and have a guilt conscience because of SI and Taliek....LOL

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He's just outmatched. He's never played good. He had one good game at Notre Dame, but majority of his points and rebounds were against a 6'5'' swingman who was trying to play center.

C

Chief00

It was on the coaches last year. With the talent they had TO burned too many non productive minutes with a limited upside. George had a major role last year and he liked Tyler.

Reaction Score
It was on the coaches last year. With the talent they had TO burned too many non productive minutes with a limited upside. George had a major role last year and he liked Tyler.

He didn't burn that many and actually was a nice "bench" player rather than the go-to guy he has been required to be this year. That would be the only difference......Alex had Andre to hide his inabilities while Tyler has no one............

Reaction Score
As with Wolf, his boards would be ASTRO if his feet ever left left the floor. Remember Marcus - the man who 'never saw a rebound he didn't like?' (6-7?) How about a few 'junps' from these guys. How could you have gotten to this level with lead in your , or feet??

C

Chief00

He didn't burn that many and actually was a nice "bench" player rather than the go-to guy he has been required to be this year. That would be the only difference......Alex had Andre to hide his inabilities while Tyler has no one............
Tyler became a none factor when his brother smoked him in the Fairfield game. He had huge minus minutes during Big East play. Again, I don't focus on it too much since his talent level is so limited. However, to be fair with JD who I criticized for lack of game prep, Tyler seems bloated this year and consistently out of breathe. He also is more often than not - not making the right play when he has the ball. What is lack of talent, lack of conditioning or lack of confidence, I don't exactly know.

Reaction Score
I think we have some basketball experts with NBA experience on here. You tell those D-1 athletes how to rebound. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom