Oklahoma post game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oklahoma post game thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In Liv's post game interview with CBSSN, they asked her what she thought Geno's reaction to her game was.She said I am sure he will find something wrong. :D

I was also impressed with CD's reaction. Basically, she was like.. Yes, that is what happens when you are active.

This is the new norm Liv at UConn. We are so blessed this holiday season.

Reaction Score
Great game understates how terrific this really was. Oddly, let me thank the anonymous referees who let the players play almost w/out interruption. Their work let the game develop some momentum, rhythm, cohesion--a blessing for all.
Meg Walker has proven her bona fides as a great Husky. She does everything all of our best players have done, which is to shoot well from anywhere and add strength to our rebounding efforts.
Liv is not someone I recognize from a year ago. She has become a beautiful player, graceful, determined, intelligent; a genuine big time 5.
Chrystal adds so much to moving the offense and scoring on her own. Though hurting, she is inspirational has she drags herself off the floor, smiles shyly, goes out again as if nothing happened.
And Audrey: you will believe a woman can fly. Can you even imagine how high her ceiling is?
All in all, this herky jerky team has moments of splendor. I will spend happy hours re-watching the 2nd half of this game. Kudos to all. (Oh, and CD has a better winning % than what's his name? The sub patterns were perfect; the Maestro is proud, I'm sure.)
Bonus comment: If you haven't seen "The Morning Show," don't miss it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This falls under the . Anything you can do, I can do better category. :D

1577058494744.png

Reaction Score
Did UConn unnecessrily run up the score at the end?
Sherri didn't look too happy on the handshake line.
Chris was perhaps over-exuberant near the end.
Geno might have lightened up on the running.
Remember, they're supposed to be friends.
UConn's explosion in the fourth quarter was in the context of its half court offense and half court defense. The team did not press or try to outrun OK in transition. It just happened that our reserves were on fire from three, OK was unable to stay in front of UConn's drivers, and we got some steals. Also, OK became listless.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One point not mentioned which I found very impressive is that Liv picked up a somewhat dubious foul in the first 2 minutes and then played so aggressively and smart keeping a distance to her opponent and moving her feet so well.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
no
too bad
no
no
who cares

Perhaps I was mistaken in putting my comments in the form of queries (trying to be overly polite).
Let me try again.

in my view, Chris, momentarily lost control of the team and the team ended the game in a very
un-UConn manner.

It is usual Geno practice to take the foot off the petal in a 30+ win, especially, when the opponent is an old friend. It takes the form of pulling back on fast breaks, running clock, and eschewing 3's.

None of that happened this afternoon; it's not a disaster, other teams do it, and Geno was not present.
But I thought it was uncomely and not in the best tradition of the program.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Tale of 2 halves. The 2nd half was so good it almost made me forget the first half -- some of the 4Q pts would have been more helpful in Q1-2. That UConn was able to hang on in the first half I would attribute to Danger & Olivia's defense. Did CD make adjustments between halves or did the basket just get wider for them in Q3-4?

Olivia was on fire pretty much all the way through. MW got her shot back in the 2nd half which certainly contributed to the blowout. Big hopes for CW after her first shot at the beginning, of Q1, but she is still erratic with her midrange stuff -- sometimes very good, sometimes disappointing. Don't know if her early 3 personal fouls had an effect on her play -- to my eyes they didn't, but someone with sharper eyes might have seen something. I find Anna's passing to be puzzling at times; couple of them looked more like floaters; the "finesse" seems to be unusual & maybe vulnerable to TOs. Also I'm still nervous when she brings the ball back up the floor; she seems to be on the verge of getting caught in traps. Still, she probably needs the practice; CW doesn't have any issues holding on to the ball as far as I can tell Always good to see the seniors able to score, but I seem to recall Kyra's passes twice gave the ball to OK in the 1st half;. TOs in the 1st half might have prevented the team from getting into offensive rhythm. Be interesting to see Griffin start & how she copes.

Also props to Taylor Robertson of OK; I don't think the UConn defense on her was that bad, but she burned them all the way through. Amazing shooter. The rest of the OK offense had a very bad day.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UConn's explosion in the fourth quarter was in the context of its half court offense and half court defense. The team did not press or try to outrun OK in transition. It just happened that our reserves were on fire from three, OK was unable to stay in front of UConn's drivers, and we got some steals. Also, OK became listless.

Actually, CD was not happy with the last shot we made but in defense, we were flying so fast, no one could even process that we could run out the clock.

Sorry; Not Sorry

Reaction Score
Perhaps I was mistaken in putting my comments in the form of queries (trying to be overly polite).
Let me try again.

in my view, Chris, momentarily lost control of the team and the team ended the game in a very
un-UConn manner.

It is usual Geno practice to take the foot off the petal in a 30+ win, especially, when the opponent is an old friend. It takes the form of pulling back on fast breaks, running clock, and eschewing 3's.

None of that happened this afternoon; it's not a disaster, other teams do it, and Geno was not present.
UConn did stop fast breaking. I don't think Geno ever asked the team to eschew wide open threes , or to avoid taking the ball to the rim when a lane opens wide. Working on our half court offense does not mean passing the ball aimlessly around the perimeter for 30 seconds.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"I think we played as close to a good 40 minutes as we had all year," Dailey said. "Today there was no lull, that was a big step for this team. Really really happy. Olivia played great, everyone played well. Crystal, Kristin, Aubrey gave us some good minutes. Great way to end this portion of our season and send kids home for holidays in good spirits."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"I don't know that we're the No. 1 team in the country. I haven't seen enough of a lot of people," Dailey said. "I've known our team when they have been No. 1 and this team isn't there yet. We're not worried if we're No. 1 now. Give ourselves best chance to be in that position in March. Geno said it last week. He was shocked we're the No. 2 team. I think he'll be shocked if we're the number one team."

Reaction Score
"I think we played as close to a good 40 minutes as we had all year," Dailey said. "Today there was no lull, that was a big step for this team. Really really happy. Olivia played great, everyone played well. Crystal, Kristin, Aubrey gave us some good minutes. Great way to end this portion of our season and send kids home for holidays in good spirits."
Amen.

Reaction Score
Let me try again.

un-UConn manner.

In my previous replies I have explained why I don't think we were running up the score. But even if you are right, this particular team needs to learn how to keep it's foot on the gas and play for a full 40. Did you see the second half of the DePaul game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom