OK... So Who's Gonna Replace... (Uh, you know...) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OK... So Who's Gonna Replace... (Uh, you know...)

Reaction Score
I wasn't aware OPINIONS on the Boneyard were supposed to answer riddles---something that can't be done unless a riddle is presented to be answered!!
Intelligent people know that the only answers to the future are in the future. Everything about the future
is at this point: Conjecture!! If you want me to answer your question about tomorrow ---ask me tomorrow.
ok, today's tomorrow from your comment. So what is the answer?

Reaction Score
D doesn't like coming to Storrs much (not as little as Sue Bird apparently, but she doesn't come often). D's a globe trotter. You have to find someone who wants to make a life in the comfortable, quiet, and secure bedroom community.
Lol. Geno is so living that life, NOT.
For fun we should total up Geno's miles for games, recruiting, PR, workshops, Olympic coaching, TV spots, interviews, etc... What would you say if the total was in the Millions of miles per year?

I see Geno, like, in the movie where Clooney traveled constantly earning so many flight points he could fly for free for 30 years. Of course their jobs were also similar. Clooney was a hatchet man, and Geno is an assassin.

Reaction Score
ok, today's tomorrow from your comment. So what is the answer?
Today is yesterdays tomorrow---and I posted the post today.
Again for answers about tomorrow --ASK the full question Tomorrow--and I'll be sure to do my Johnny Carson impressions..

Reaction Score
How about a Marisa , Shea , tandem , like Geno & CD?They have the passion , thats for sure!!!

Reaction Score
Nice if our funerals could coincide with Geno's retirement. But to dare to contemplate: next season will be the start of another 4 NCs in a row with the advent of Megatron. When Meg graduates, Geno retires, and Jennifer R. comes back from GW (her family didn't go with her to DC) to become the next UConn coach. Jen will have had a few years of D1 experience, and she knows Storrs as well as most. She's next.

Hey, not every UConn WBB fan is collecting Social Security. I'd like to see my 30's, thank you

That said, I think if any former player is going to take over as head coach, it will be Shea.

10 years ago I would have said Rizzotti, but her teams at Hartford and now GW have been mediocre for several years. She'd have a hard time upholding the standards of this program, whereas for Shea it would be a more natural transition.

Reaction Score
CD will retire with coach and Shea will be the heir (Geno will pick her). Mosley will be Shea's CD. Shea will bring back Jasmine Lister too. Jen hasn't been with UConn during the new generation and isn't a proven recruiter.
Not Geno's to pick

Reaction Score
Watching them interact, have you ever gotten the feeling that she is the only one of his former players that can go toe to toe with him in terms of wit and sarcasm. She has "it".
Um....DT?

Reaction Score
Hey, not every UConn WBB fan is collecting Social Security. I'd like to see my 30's, thank you

That said, I think if any former player is going to take over as head coach, it will be Shea.

10 years ago I would have said Rizzotti, but her teams at Hartford and now GW have been mediocre for several years. She'd have a hard time upholding the standards of this program, whereas for Shea it would be a more natural transition.

Yeah, Tens, Shea is a logical candidate. As for Jen, this is her first year at GW, and she's doing pretty well (15-9). I base my guess (because that's all it is) on her ascendancy on a few factors. Experience is number one: GW is a Division 1 school. Shea has no head coaching experience at any level. Second: disposition. Geno has said that "nobody likes Shea." He may have been kidding, but I believe he was referencing her tendency to be "severe." That may work with good-guy/bad-guy coaches on a staff; how it will work with a head coach, I don't know. Jen is tough, too, but seems more accessible. As I don't know either woman personally, I'm only conjecturing here (since someone invited us to conjecture). Finally, Jen did not pick up and move her family to DC, so I'm (again) guessing that she considers CT her home and plans an ultimate return. Of course, she may just want to keep her kids in school and with their friends. To make a (too) long story short, I have NO IDEA who will replace Geno--and, frankly, I'd rather not think about it. As for expiring when Geno leaves, remember that in India wives sometimes jump on their husbands funeral pyres. Up to you, man.

Reaction Score
Jen has not been recruiting for UConn. It's a much more difficult job recruiting for Hartford or even George Washington.

Reaction Score
Coach G
I think it will be the end of an era when Coach Auriemma has had enough. I don't know if CD would want to carry on....maybe a transitional year or two? But there will not be another Geno.

UCONN will try to carry on with the same approach, but I have never seen anyone able to express themselves, and what he is trying to do, as well as Geno. He can tailor messages to the psyche of each individual player, and make them want to maximize their skills. No other coach can do that.

Most other coaches become famous when they recruit well, and their players either excel and win championships, or not. Geno doesn't need the best talent ( per other evaluators ) to develop the best players. He sees things that no one else does. He knew, in my opinion, what Gabby Williams could do where others did not. And he brought it out.

It almost doesn't matter who replaces him when that time comes. UCONN will, with coach G's input, do everything they can to maintain the Uconn women's BB program. But it won't ever be the same.

What we are experiencing is unique.

Reaction Score
Jen has not been recruiting for UConn. It's a much more difficult job recruiting for Hartford or even George Washington.
Certainly true. But if Jen had the skill set of Geno, she would bring out more from what she has. A lot more.

And, when Geno is gone from UCONN, everyone is Jen. The magic of the UCONN name is Geno and his coaching staff. The letters on the jersey won't mean anything special.

You feel me?

Reaction Score
Sorry BroadwayVa, but the quotation (from Plato) is the river itself, which is changed by the changing waters :)
"Heraclitus, I believe, says that all things go and nothing stays, and comparing existents to the flow of a river, he says you could not step twice into the same river" (Cratylus 402a).

It was this crisis in the changeability of nature that led Plato to his theory of Forms, probably the most influential concept in the history of Western philosophy and religion. Just sayin'...
\
There is also the quote, from whom I don't know--that says---as much as everything changes --the more it stays the same. Which in and of itself is a truism.
Human looks, language, customs, cultures change--yet the day to day trials and tribulation stay the same. War's come and wars go--people hopefully believe that they shall end--in the time of human existence has it ever stopped--two wars in the past century--were wars to end all wars--the atomic bomb was supposed make war obsolete---yet here we are Iraq, Afghanistan, China, isis, even Russia rattling sabers --the more it remains the same.
I now turn my pulpit over to you...
Again, i appreciate your in roads to past histories and individuals--brings back the college courses that were troubling for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom