OK... So Who's Gonna Replace... (Uh, you know...) | The Boneyard

OK... So Who's Gonna Replace... (Uh, you know...)

Reaction Score
I'll worry about it when the time comes What's the use of contemplating it now when it could be years away? The same people available now may not be then, and vice versa. (This opinion stems from my belief that Geno will sign one more 5 year deal and then retire)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well it''s been a while but...

th

...I guess. Or were you talking about someone else?

Reaction Score
..I guess. Or were you talking about someone else

I have no favorite. But lots of wondering. Just wondering what everyone else thinks!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no favorite. But lots of wondering. Just wondering what everyone else thinks!
McCallie here? Oh god no!

Coach G is how people referred to Gail Goestenkors. I think that McCallie replaced her at Duke. It was a tongue in cheek response.

I'll worry about who will replace Geno when he announces he's leaving. Until then I'm just enjoying the ride.

Reaction Score
What's the use of contemplating it now when it could be years away?

Well, f1, I'm certainly glad Geno and CD don't think that way. Recruiting starts years ahead. And I'm not sure I see anyone out there who can keep us winning. You?

Besides...

It's well known that those of us on this board, have no life.

Reaction Score
Did I miss something? Did he announce he's leaving? Boy, a couple of days off the Boneyard and the whole world changes.

Not at all. It should help to know that I am a Strategic Planner by trade. Just my nature.

I've already planned my funeral. At least up to the point that I plan to bounce my check to the undertaker.

Reaction Score
Hey.. If we don't think ahead.. Who will?

I've been wondering for a long while now..
Don't waste your time and energy, none of us fan's opinion will make any difference. Enjoy this golden days to the fullest. We are so damn blessed with Gabby, Pheesa and occasionally Lou, Kia and Saniya :). They are angels sent to keep our old souls warm and excitement.

Reaction Score
well, I enjoy it. I like the high beams on at night, too.
Me too. But, I turn it off asas there's approaching traffic.

I modified my Day Time Driving Light OFF to save energy though.

Reaction Score
Well, f1, I'm certainly glad Geno and CD don't think that way. Recruiting starts years ahead. And I'm not sure I see anyone out there who can keep us winning. You?

Besides..

It's well known that those of us on this board, have no life.
To your first point, coaches aren't recruited years ahead as players are. They are, for the most part, picked from available people at the time. And I fully expect a dropoff no matter who replaces Geno, because there is no one else that comes close to his uncanny ability to get every ounce of potential out of his players.

As for the second point, I must confess that I fit right into that category.:(

Reaction Score
Not recruited, agree. But I KNOW our AD is thinking harder than me on this!
He probably is, but I would hope it's his secondary consideration. His primary consideration should be re-upping Geno.:D

Reaction Score
Not at all. It should help to know that I am a Strategic Planner by trade. Just my nature.

I've already planned my funeral. At least up to the point that I plan to bounce my check to the undertaker.

Nice if our funerals could coincide with Geno's retirement. But to dare to contemplate: next season will be the start of another 4 NCs in a row with the advent of Megatron. When Meg graduates, Geno retires, and Jennifer R. comes back from GW (her family didn't go with her to DC) to become the next UConn coach. Jen will have had a few years of D1 experience, and she knows Storrs as well as most. She's next.
upload_2017-2-15_14-26-58.png

Reaction Score
Geno retires, and Jennifer R. comes back from GW (her family didn't go with her to DC) to become the next UConn coach. She's next.

Thank you, Huskyd for a serious answer!

However, I have to disagree with your conclusion. Jen??? With all due respect to Jen, whom we all adore...

Jen doesn't win like what we need for the next Guiding Light. Not even close! Am I wrong?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'd rather be speculating on how long Geno would need to coach to get to a million wins, but since you ask....
- You seem to think that there will be a program outsider with a resume worthy of taking over. There won't be. That's okay because it's a maintenance job and not a building job -- that's why a program insider is a must.
- Geno's more than earned the right to name his successor. It will be someone from the family tree who knows the UConn way.
- Whether or not CD hangs it up when Geno does might be a factor. Personally, I'd like to see them go out together with their legacy as a team intact, but I could also see the potential benefit of CD sticking around to right-seat-ride a successor for a couple of years.
- Things will obviously change but if he were choosing today I'd think it would be between Jen R., Jamelle E., and Shea R.

Reaction Score
I'd rather be speculating on how long Geno would need to coach to get to a million wins, but since you ask...

SeoulHusky...

I always value your input, so thanks for thinking this through with me.

Yes, I would also enjoy thinking about how long it would take Geno to coach before we lose a game...

I'm not sure where you thought I was leaning toward an outsider, because, honestly, I have no idea.

As far as CD, no issue, until she gets her promotion upstairs, definitely can get it done.

Shea, yes, definitely could do us proud.

Jen and Jamelle, so well loved and smart! But not top winners.

I honestly have not had a clue. For a while I was thinking Jeff Waltz. Good friends with Geno, smart, great coach, winning mind, and generally a nice guy who can shout it out.

But as I was pondering your answer, two possibilities I had not considered came rushing into mind:

1. Diana
2. Maya
3. Stewie

(1+1+1 = 2 in an out of the box mind)

Anybody agree?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
SeoulHusky..

I always value your input, so thanks for thinking this through with me.

Yes, I would also enjoy thinking about how long it would take Geno to coach before we lose a game..

I'm not sure where you thought I was leaning toward an outsider, because, honestly, I have no idea.

As far as CD, no issue, until she gets her promotion upstairs, definitely can get it done.

Shea, yes, definitely could do us proud.

Jen and Jamelle, so well loved and smart! But not top winners.

I honestly have not had a clue. For a while I was thinking Jeff Waltz. Good friends with Geno, smart, great coach, winning mind, and generally a nice guy who can shout it out.

But as I was pondering your answer, two possibilities I had not considered came rushing into mind:

1. Diana
2. Maya
3. Stewie

(1+1+1 = 2 in an out of the box mind)

Anybody agree?
Timing is going to matter. Stewie and Maya will most likely still be playing and we don't know that any of the three you mention will want the job. If you're listing future maybe's... why not Sue Bird? Personally, I think a guy like Jeff Waltz would be nuts to take the UConn job if he was offered it -- the rule for replacing legends is "don't follow the guy, follow the guy that followed the guy." Again though, I really cannot see anyone handing this program off to an outsider.

Reaction Score
why not Sue Bird? Again though, I really cannot see anyone handing this program off to an outsider.

All true, as laid out. I agree totally with all your points.

Interesting question, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom