OK... So Who's Gonna Replace... (Uh, you know...) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OK... So Who's Gonna Replace... (Uh, you know...)

Reaction Score
I believe the two "in house" choices will be Shea or Jenn.

My take, as of right now, is that Shea may have the inside track. But JMO.

I've been rooting for Shea and will continue to do so until I see what looks to be a better candidate.
But up front I admit, none of us have seen her as a coach and therefore know nothing but the occasional comments Geno makes about her, which seem to me very positive. I would even consider Marissa as assistant/associate.
I love the idea of of one of our greats from the past taking over the helm, but none of them that are currently head coaches have had particularly distinguished careers to date. When you talk about Jen you have someone who learned from Geno as he was in the 1990's and I'm sure that both his coaching style and knowledge are far different now than they were then. That's what I see as Shea's strongest suit.
But I will be happy to give anyone with a connection to this program a welcome and a chance.

Reaction Score
SeoulHusky..

I always value your input, so thanks for thinking this through with me.

Yes, I would also enjoy thinking about how long it would take Geno to coach before we lose a game..

I'm not sure where you thought I was leaning toward an outsider, because, honestly, I have no idea.

As far as CD, no issue, until she gets her promotion upstairs, definitely can get it done.

Shea, yes, definitely could do us proud.

Jen and Jamelle, so well loved and smart! But not top winners.

I honestly have not had a clue. For a while I was thinking Jeff Waltz. Good friends with Geno, smart, great coach, winning mind, and generally a nice guy who can shout it out.

But as I was pondering your answer, two possibilities I had not considered came rushing into mind:

1. Diana
2. Maya
3. Stewie

(1+1+1 = 2 in an out of the box mind)

Anybody agree?
DT has always been my favorite for these discussions, but after this year, we are headed for 200 wins. I think at that very moment the NCAA will stop the Women's bball program due to it's glorious conclusion. There will not be another Geno!!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why? He doesn't look ill or retired age to me.

I agree. That's bad Mojo. When he starts giving us warning signs that he's ready to throw in the towel, THEN I'll begin to wonder who will be his successor. Until then, I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride.

We're in deep cotton right now. Let's enjoy it. Because things will be different in Storrs after he leaves, regardless of who takes his place. :rolleyes:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Two fan. favorites - Sue and DT.

Sue has said she doesn't want to coach. D has not commented but I don't think so.

And since this has been discussed before, I will say this again. Just because someone was a great player does not mean that they will be a good coach. Most players have a God given talent that cannot be taught. They cannot relate to a young player who needs to be pushed to reach their talent level and beyond. Two different skill sets between and coach and a player and these skills are not mutually related.

Geno was not a good player. But his skill set makes him the greatest coach.

Reaction Score
I'm not gonna weigh in on this one, but the thought has occurred to me over the last couple of post-game interviews: When her career is finally over, doesn't Kia Nurse look and sound like a coach to you?

Reaction Score
Hey.. If we don't think ahead.. Who will?

I've been wondering for a long while now..
This discussion was beat into the dirty 2-3 months ago---the conclusion is Geno won't ever retire and Uconn will be dominant forever!! Or words to that effect.

New thread!!

Reaction Score
Geno and Chris cannot retire until after I pass away. They keep my spirits high while I am here.
I posted that , closely, to another poster on the article about Uconn---We'll never know if Uconn will succeed should Geno retire--in 8 or 1o years---I told the poster he'd probably be around to see Uconn without Geno--
This whole Uconn winning 2 games a week from Nov to April--keeps me going during the winter--and looking forward to the new guys in Nov keeps me going in the spring, fall, summer.
Just imagine the improvements in KLS, GAbby, Precious, Danger, Molly, Azura, Batouly, Walker, Gordon, etc
from now until Nov 17?? That keeps the mind and body chugging--slower--but going.

Reaction Score
I posted that , closely, to another poster on the article about Uconn---We'll never know if Uconn will succeed should Geno retire--in 8 or 1o years---I told the poster he'd probably be around to see Uconn without Geno--
This whole Uconn winning 2 games a week from Nov to April--keeps me going during the winter--and looking forward to the new guys in Nov keeps me going in the spring, fall, summer.
Just imagine the improvements in KLS, GAbby, Precious, Danger, Molly, Azura, Batouly, Walker, Gordon, etc
from now until Nov 17?? That keeps the mind and body chugging--slower--but going.

You know, I am trying to think the same way as you. I am 74 and, you know, you come to a time in life where anything could happen. After 23 years in the Marine Corps, I was coasting until I hit age 65, then you kinda fall apart. The UConn women basketball program gets me going and really gives me something to be excited about. It also gives me pride. With the current season and the wonders of the next season, I really do want to see and enjoy this years team and the one on the horizon with recruits and Stevens and Comara. If Geno does leave, I have always thought that Diana Taurasi would be the next Geno. Her personality and Geno Is UConn.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
God? Nobody else is qualified.

I think we can continue scarfing up some pretty high level recruits with God at the controls. Who wouldn't want to be on God's team?

Reaction Score
This discussion was beat into the dirty 2-3 months ago-New thread!!

Obviously, the "US" you speak of, is not the "US" who is asking.

That answer doesn't solve the riddle of the future for me.
;-)

Reaction Score
When her career is finally over, doesn't Kia Nurse look and sound like a coach to you?

Boy, that is exactly who we are looking for! For not weighing in, you surely hit the mark (for me).

Reaction Score
If Geno does leave, I have always thought that Diana Taurasi would be the next Geno. Her personality and Geno Is UConn.

Yes, Coach D, with Assistant Coach Kia. That WOULD be a team!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hey.. If we don't think ahead.. Who will?

I've been wondering for a long while now..
upload_2017-2-15_23-28-16.jpeg

"Oyy!"

Reaction Score
Seriously, when Geno steps down there has to be a smooth transition for the sake of the current players and recruits...When Moriah took the microphone to thank Shea for making her the guard she had become, that spoke volumes. I think Shea will be the front-runner. Jen Rizzotti also would be an attractive candidate.

Reaction Score
When Moriah took the microphone to thank Shea for making her the guard she had become, that spoke volumes. .

Moriah's comment has a lot of weight in this discussion. Agree.

Reaction Score
If/when Geno knows he has only one or two years left at UConn, how is he going to convince the best HS players to come to Storrs? I think this transition is the greatest challenge Geno has left to face. Tennessee has not played in a Final Four since Pat stepped down. UCLA has won just one NC in the 42 years since John Wooden retired. Geno needs to be able to guarantee continuity in everything that makes UConn great - especially coaching philosophy, the emphasis on discipline and selflessness. Holly has failed because she is not cut out to be a head coach - the Peter Principle at work. That does not necessarily mean that Shea would fail similarly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom