OK... So Who's Gonna Replace... (Uh, you know...) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OK... So Who's Gonna Replace... (Uh, you know...)

Reaction Score
CD will retire with coach and Shea will be the heir (Geno will pick her). Mosley will be Shea's CD. Shea will bring back Jasmine Lister too. Jen hasn't been with UConn during the new generation and isn't a proven recruiter.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
When Moriah took the microphone to thank Shea for making her the guard she had become, that spoke volumes.

Moriah's comment has a lot of weight in this discussion. Agree.
As I was reading this thread that situation was the 1st thing to pop into my head, WOW!

it gets no closer than this...
AR-311309961.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Reaction Score
SeoulHusky..

I always value your input, so thanks for thinking this through with me.

Yes, I would also enjoy thinking about how long it would take Geno to coach before we lose a game..

I'm not sure where you thought I was leaning toward an outsider, because, honestly, I have no idea.

As far as CD, no issue, until she gets her promotion upstairs, definitely can get it done.

Shea, yes, definitely could do us proud.

Jen and Jamelle, so well loved and smart! But not top winners.

I honestly have not had a clue. For a while I was thinking Jeff Waltz. Good friends with Geno, smart, great coach, winning mind, and generally a nice guy who can shout it out.

But as I was pondering your answer, two possibilities I had not considered came rushing into mind:

1. Diana
2. Maya
3. Stewie

(1+1+1 = 2 in an out of the box mind)

Anybody agree?

With the first two, yes. But if not, I'm rootin for Rizzotti. I think she would say to GW in a heartbeat; "sorry boys, gotta go".

Reaction Score
It could take 8 years to figure this out so why not start thinking about it? Is Shea a possibility? Yes! How about this crazy thought. Rebecca Lobo. How about them together?

What makes Geno...Geno?

1. Intelligence. The man is way smarter than anyone realizes. He chooses the players he chooses because he has the wisdom to understand the importance of the intangibles.
2. Competitive drive. This is born of adversity. One needs to have either overcome adversity or been raised by someone who was and was able to convey the lessons learned.
3. People skills. The coach needs to have the god given ability to reach people...communicate...press buttons...say the right things at the right time.
4. Knowledge of the game with the absence of arrogance. Tennessee fans thought Geno was arrogant. They were qrong. He is actually quite insecure and always looking for ways to get better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now THAT's interesting and would be huge!
Watching them interact, have you ever gotten the feeling that she is the only one of his former players that can go toe to toe with him in terms of wit and sarcasm. She has "it".

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Since no outside of the UConn family names are being named, I will. Jennie Baranczyk head coach at Drake. Look her up. Very impressive.

Reaction Score
I used to think Rizzotti. Then I thought nope...Hartford to UC is too big a jump. So then I thought Shea. But if Rizz does well at GW, my money's back on her.

Reaction Score
IUCLA has won just one NC in the 42 years since John Wooden retired.
+1
"Everything flows....you can't step in the same river twice" (more or less what Heraclitus supposedly said).

If UConn WCBB ever manages to climb another (but different and smaller) mountain again, it is likely not with Geno's immediate successor--just too much pressure and expectations. It will happen sometime after that, when most of us have abandoned this site and moved on to watching Federer's kids dominate tennis and Brady's kid winning superbowls, or something.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not at all. It should help to know that I am a Strategic Planner by trade. Just my nature.

I've already planned my funeral. At least up to the point that I plan to bounce my check to the undertaker.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Good point! There IS only one god, i'm told. (and his name is Geno!)

Of course, but then there's always the rest of WCBB fandom. They all think he's the Antichrist! ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't waste your time and energy, none of us fan's opinion will make any difference. Enjoy this golden days to the fullest. We are so damn blessed with Gabby, Pheesa and occasionally Lou, Kia and Saniya :). They are angels sent to keep our old souls warm and excitement.
Occasionally KLS?? You mean the leading scorer KLS?? Not sure what's occasional about that.

Reaction Score
Obviously, the "US" you speak of, is not the "US" who is asking.

That answer doesn't solve the riddle of the future for me.
;-)
I wasn't aware OPINIONS on the Boneyard were supposed to answer riddles---something that can't be done unless a riddle is presented to be answered!!
Intelligent people know that the only answers to the future are in the future. Everything about the future
is at this point: Conjecture!! If you want me to answer your question about tomorrow ---ask me tomorrow.

Reaction Score
+1
"Everything flows...you can't step in the same river twice" (more or less what Heraclitus supposedly said).

If UConn WCBB ever manages to climb another (but different and smaller) mountain again, it is likely not with Geno's immediate successor--just too much pressure and expectations. It will happen sometime after that, when most of us have abandoned this site and moved on to watching Federer's kids dominate tennis and Brady's kid winning superbowls, or something.

Once again you have the thoughtful answer to an unanswerable question/ I agree Geno successor--as has happened in other programs or other industries--will find the pressures of trying to compete with a legend--and half myth--too much to handle.
Ah yes--you can step in the same RIVER twice--but never the same water!! (nitpicking I know, but a subtle difference) Sorry, can't help myself. My brain gets lost and my fingers take over..

Reaction Score
Once again you have the thoughtful answer to an unanswerable question/ I agree Geno successor--as has happened in other programs or other industries--will find the pressures of trying to compete with a legend--and half myth--too much to handle.
Ah yes--you can step in the same RIVER twice--but never the same water!! (nitpicking I know, but a subtle difference) Sorry, can't help myself. My brain gets lost and my fingers take over..
Sorry BroadwayVa, but the quotation (from Plato) is the river itself, which is changed by the changing waters :)
"Heraclitus, I believe, says that all things go and nothing stays, and comparing existents to the flow of a river, he says you could not step twice into the same river" (Cratylus 402a).

It was this crisis in the changeability of nature that led Plato to his theory of Forms, probably the most influential concept in the history of Western philosophy and religion. Just sayin'....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gotta keep in mind the current dynamics. Geno is "bad" cop. Shea and CD are "good" cops.
They say to the players, "I know Geno is being too tough. Lets go out on the court and TRY to make him happy.
This is Holly's current problem. The "Good" cop CANNOT be a good coach. Someone has to hold the standard, as difficult as that is. You simply cannot show weakness on the court. Remember when Gabbie first totally stuffed the stat sheets several games back and Geno read them off (awesome numbers) BUT he then said, "0 steals. I wonder why she even bothered to show up."

This is the basis for my support of DT. Try telling DT you cannot do something. Be ready to be called a wuss. THEN, Shea can step in and sooth anger and set the Ladies up to try again a little harder.

Reaction Score
Gotta keep in mind the current dynamics. Geno is "bad" cop. Shea and CD are "good" cops.
They say to the players, "I know Geno is being too tough. Lets go out on the court and TRY to make him happy.
This is Holly's current problem. The "Good" cop CANNOT be a good coach. Someone has to hold the standard, as difficult as that is. You simply cannot show weakness on the court. Remember when Gabbie first totally stuffed the stat sheets several games back and Geno read them off (awesome numbers) BUT he then said, "0 steals. I wonder why she even bothered to show up."

This is the basis for my support of DT. Try telling DT you cannot do something. Be ready to be called a wuss. THEN, Shea can step in and sooth anger and set the Ladies up to try again a little harder.
D doesn't like coming to Storrs much (not as little as Sue Bird apparently, but she doesn't come often). D's a globe trotter. You have to find someone who wants to make a life in the comfortable, quiet, and secure bedroom community.

Reaction Score
Sorry BroadwayVa, but the quotation (from Plato) is the river itself, which is changed by the changing waters :)
"Heraclitus, I believe, says that all things go and nothing stays, and comparing existents to the flow of a river, he says you could not step twice into the same river" (Cratylus 402a).

It was this crisis in the changeability of nature that led Plato to his theory of Forms, probably the most influential concept in the history of Western philosophy and religion. Just sayin'...

Thank you for the kind and intelligent response..
I knew/know the quotation--and I understood the meaning--however as a purist--I always see the river as flowing with changing waters --i.e. if i analyzed segments of flowing water --it would be different if ever so slightly.
I bow to your exceptional intellect -- this is what I like about your postings-- I learn something every time.
Also your knowledge of history--is why I a week or so made the comment about your knowledge of History===I only know American/Canadian history---because i have lived so much of it (SEMI-JOKE)

Reaction Score
Occasionally blessed with Katie Lou, Kia and Saniya? I just don't get it. How do you determine occasionally? Have Gabby and Napheesa ever had an off game? Of course they have. This is the ultimate team. Without one they are not the same. Ask each of the players you mentioned what they think of your statement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom