OK, ETT: Thoughts on Baylor vs. UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OK, ETT: Thoughts on Baylor vs. UConn

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Against Baylor UConn should score on Baylor, the motion offense and transition speed will be too much for Baylor to stop. Will Baylor score enough? They can if they run their half court and rebound. So to beat Baylor, the UConn guards must be disruptive. They much push the Baylor guards back and make the offense start further from the basket then they are used to. If the bigs don't come out to get the ball, the longer inlet passes are ripe for deflections and steals. If they come out, they are not shooting in their comfort zone or must put the ball on the floor. The next key is blocking out to keep Baylor second shots to a minimum.

My call UConn by 15

upload_2018-2-16_8-56-25.jpeg

Reaction Score
One player that hasn't been mentioned yet is Dekeiya Cohen. She has been on fire recently, averaging 13 points in conference on 56% shooting. Her midrange game has been money as teams sag off her to pay closer attention to the post players. Leave her open at your own risk.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Are we really talking about this? GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... That is how you beat UConn. They never learn. Brown & Cox.. who cares, they have to get the ball first! UConn has lost what 15 games in 10 years? Go back and watch them over the weekend 99% of the losses were because we could not effectively shut down the oppositions guards. Clog the paint and force them to shoot the 3. I'm not saying it would be easy but I like our chances.

Reaction Score
Good, predictable Kim has an instinct (learned decades in the past) for loading up with bigs and orchestrating a run every few years. After not scheduling UConn for awhile.

UConn is playing a game Bears aren’t yet familiar with, to put it mildly. A game wherein the Huskies believe they own every second on the clock and every square foot on the hardwood. Could make for a cool matchup this spring but UConn must be a solid favorite ?

Reaction Score
I believe Baylor is the second most challenging match up for uconn. Miss. St being the number one. Personally I am hoping for a UCONN vs Miss St Championship game. Getting to that final will be no easy task.

Reaction Score
Great summary of the issue: it's really not clear how UConn will play against 2 reasonably talented bigs; for sure, UConn will play in foul trouble;
and a great reference to a fabulous book (and series)! brings back wonderful memories of a year reading through the series.

I have expressed my dissatisfaction with UConn recruitment of post players. We lack height. Boneyarders jumped on me for that.
Baylor may cause a lot of problems for us. I just hope they do not. We may not even encounter Baylor if they lose to MSST or SCAR or others.
Georgetown failed to win a championship with Mourning and Mutombo. Oklahoma with the Paris twins. Will history repeat with Cox and Brown?
I am visualizing this as a WWI battle between the French 75s and the heavy Krupps guns.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Are we really talking about this? GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... That is how you beat UConn. They never learn. Brown & Cox.. who cares, they have to get the ball first! UConn has lost what 15 games in 10 years? Go back and watch them over the weekend 99% of the losses were because we could not effectively shut down the oppositions guards. Clog the paint and force them to shoot the 3. I'm not saying it would be easy but I like our chances.
What you've said bares repeating.

Guard play. It was UConn's downfall against McCowan and company last year, it was UConn issue late against Louisville, it was UConn's issue against Temple last year. On and on. Mulkey's issues against UConn are multiple.

1) Her teams are rarely if ever in optimum condition. UConn, if relatively healthy, would run them off the floor the first period.

2) Her teams are rarely if ever prepared to play long road trips outside of the state of Texas. Ultimately they fail mentally and physically during high pressure moments.

3) Mediocre PG guard play.

The only chance these two teams have in meeting is in the FF, and Mulkey just hasn't shown, to me, that her teams are prepared enough to win without a true transcendental player in her lineup.

Reaction Score
Baylor will be a major challenge. Gabby has to hit the foul line jumper, Napheesa, Gabby and Z, along with the rest of the team, have to hit the boards, Napheesa has to play low and high and hit at least one three to keep the Baylor defense honest, Crystal can't got 1 for 7 from 3 or 2 from 10 overall, Kia has to play like she did against Durr, and Lou has to be Lou, running the floor on the break, backdoor cuts, pull up 2s, and an assortment of 3s. We know they can all pass, so that's a given. Also, Megan needs to find a way to contribute.

Reaction Score
Didn't uconn smoke Baylor last year with Dangerfield dropping 3pt bombs on them and winning the game for uconn?
Unless griner and sims comes back, baylor has no chance to beat uconn.

Reaction Score
Baylor will be a major challenge. Gabby has to hit the foul line jumper, Napheesa, Gabby and Z, along with the rest of the team, have to hit the boards, Napheesa has to play low and high and hit at least one three to keep the Baylor defense honest, Crystal can't got 1 for 7 from 3 or 2 from 10 overall, Kia has to play like she did against Durr, and Lou has to be Lou, running the floor on the break, backdoor cuts, pull up 2s, and an assortment of 3s. We know they can all pass, so that's a given. Also, Megan needs to find a way to contribute.
A lot to ask for. If all that happens at the same time , UCONN wins by 30. If UCONN is not running on all cylinders, we win by less.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A lot to ask for. If all that happens at the same time , UCONN wins by 30. If UCONN is not running on all cylinders, we win by less.
What (see bolded text)?????
I would have to think that the scenarios @chrissaran posted would equate to a sub par UConn game. A typical UConn game is certainly waaaay better than the scenarios @chrissaran posted, as I think you are alluding to. I just don't understand the "A lot to ask for." part. Especially when we are discussing something that can only most likely happen in late March, early April.

This is not sarcasm!

Reaction Score
You are right. I read too much into @chrissaran's requirements and overstated my point. Too much to ask for would saying that Kia needs to hit six threes in addition to safeguarding Kristy Wallace. I differ with you slightly in that I think @chrissaran described a typical UCONN game, assuming Crystals shooting percentage is 50% from 2 and 40% from 3.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Bingo. Good forwards and posts don't beat UCONN--guard play does. The only exception to that in the last decade has been a Griner anchored Baylor team, but Brown/Cox are no Griner.

UCONN's game plan would be simple: Nurse pressures the heck out of Wallace and play a sagging defense so you have a body in front of and behind Brown, give Cox daylight from 15+ feet out and sag on the other guards forcing them to make outside shots. Baylor as a team hits less than 5 triples per game. If they start taking perimeter shots, the height advantage they have is negated as long shots lead to long rebounds.

Last year Brown had a monster performance against UCLA and the next game was ineffective going up against 6-1 Collier and 5-11 Williams. While the year is different, I'd expect the outcome to be the same. Also worth noting--what kept Baylor in the game last year? Alexis Jones scoring 23 points and dishing out 6 assists. Guard play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bingo. Good forwards and posts don't beat UCONN--guard play does. The only exception to that in the last decade has been a Griner anchored Baylor team, but Brown/Cox are no Griner.

UCONN's game plan would be simple: Nurse pressures the heck out of Wallace and play a sagging defense so you have a body in front of and behind Brown, give Cox daylight from 15+ feet out and sag on the other guards forcing them to make outside shots. Baylor as a team hits less than 5 triples per game. If they start taking perimeter shots, the height advantage they have is negated as long shots lead to long rebounds.

Last year Brown had a monster performance against UCLA and the next game was ineffective going up against 6-1 Collier and 5-11 Williams. While the year is different, I'd expect the outcome to be the same. Also worth noting--what kept Baylor in the game last year? Alexis Jones scoring 23 points and dishing out 6 assists. Guard play.
Also note worthy is that Baylor's tournament OT loss to Mississippi State was a game in which Guards Vivians dropped 24 and William dropped 41.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Didn't uconn smoke Baylor last year with Dangerfield dropping 3pt bombs on them and winning the game for uconn?
Unless griner and sims comes back, baylor has no chance to beat uconn.
OMG!!!! NO, JUST NO...
The game was tied at 54-54 with 7 and half minutes to play AT UCONN. This was a great game and was decided on a 16-2 run. Final score was 72-61. This was not a "smoke".

Honestly, the amount of disrespect my fellow BYers show towards other programs is insulting. Louisville was regularly predicted to be 20-25 point blowout. Texas was predicted to be 15-20 point blowout. Now the vitriol is directed at a very good Baylor team, who by the way, have very good guard play with Kristy Wallace, the recently injure Chou, Alexis Morris and the energizer bunny aka Minnie Mouse-Didi Richards. This Baylor team is a legitimate NC contender and a worthy opponent.

How would we match up with them is interesting but Baylor also has great guards. Kalani Brown, while improved her conditioning is still prone to too many fouls and would not handle 40 minutes of up-pace basketball. That said, it wouldn't be 40 minutes at that pace.

I believe this UConn team, when all is said and done, will be one of the top 3 teams in its annals, however, they also face some pretty good opposition-unlike 2002 and 2016 teams. This game would be close and of course the possibility of a blowout by 15 could occur due to shots falling but more likely any range from 1 point to 12 points.

Just please be more respectful of the opponents and their skills. Last I checked, the WNBA does not have ONLY UCONN players but other wonderfully skilled players who played their college ball elsewhere.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Also note worthy is that Baylor's tournament OT loss to Mississippi State was a game in which Guards Vivians dropped 24 and William dropped 41.
Yup for whatever reason Baylor decided not to cover William. I would think that once she neared the 20 point area, you might want to try and stop her. BUT, on the other hand, UConn didn't stop her when it mattered either. (Not laying any blame here, I am just still mourning that the smallest player on the court made the "shot heard around the world".)

Reaction Score
Instead of Uconn worrying about what Baylor is capable of doing. Baylor should be concerned with what the Huskies will do!

Never underestimate your opponents. I am sure Baylor is concerned about playing us and we should worry about playing them.
In 1984, John Thomson of the Georgetown Hoyas complained to the reporters (not an exact quote): I am wasting my time with you while Prairie View is busy practising.
My biggest worry is that the tournament committee will put Baylor in our half. MSST and Louisville on the other side.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have expressed my dissatisfaction with UConn recruitment of post players. We lack height. Boneyarders jumped on me for that.
Baylor may cause a lot of problems for us. I just hope they do not. We may not even encounter Baylor if they lose to MSST or SCAR or others.
Georgetown failed to win a championship with Mourning and Mutombo. Oklahoma with the Paris twins. Will history repeat with Cox and Brown?
I am visualizing this as a WWI battle between the French 75s and the heavy Krupps guns.
  • Stanford played 5 players 6-2 or taller, 4 players were 6-3 or taller. They lost by 25.
  • Cal played 5 players 6-2 or taller, 4 players were 6-3 or taller, including Wooden Award finalist (late season list) Kristine Anigwe. They lost by 35.
  • ND's Jessica Shepard scored 10 points on 5-13 shooting in 36 minutes. But those fabulous guards kept ND in it to keep the margin of loss 9.
  • Texas's vaunted scary frontline four scored 28 points among them and shot 12-26 and one person, Jatarie White, had 18 of those points, the other, um, not so much. Texas's guards had 43 points in the 4 point loss in Texas.
  • South Carolina's All American A'ja Wilson shot 4-18 to score 14 points in a 25 point loss in South Carolina.
For all the stressing over opponents' heights, the huge teams haven't had a lot of success against UConn. Well, neither has anyone else but you get my drift. If a team relies on its bigs to lead them to victory, they could be out of luck unless they have fabulous guards that can challenge the Huskies (see ND and Texas). And it took them superwomen-type efforts to keep the loss under 10. Sure, UConn could lose but height isn't going to be the determining factor.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I can’t believe we haven’t heard from ETT on this thread!

Reaction Score
Never underestimate your opponents. I am sure Baylor is concerned about playing us and we should worry about playing them.
In 1984, John Thomson of the Georgetown Hoyas complained to the reporters (not an exact quote): I am wasting my time with you while Prairie View is busy practising.
My biggest worry is that the tournament committee will put Baylor in our half. MSST and Louisville on the other side.
If Uconn plays their A game there is nobody in the country that will beat them!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
OMG!!!! NO, JUST NO...
The game was tied at 54-54 with 7 and half minutes to play AT UCONN. This was a great game and was decided on a 16-2 run. Final score was 72-61. This was not a "smoke".

Honestly, the amount of disrespect my fellow BYers show towards other programs is insulting. Louisville was regularly predicted to be 20-25 point blowout. Texas was predicted to be 15-20 point blowout. Now the vitriol is directed at a very good Baylor team, who by the way, have very good guard play with Kristy Wallace, the recently injure Chou, Alexis Morris and the energizer bunny aka Minnie Mouse-Didi Richards. This Baylor team is a legitimate NC contender and a worthy opponent.

How would we match up with them is interesting but Baylor also has great guards. Kalani Brown, while improved her conditioning is still prone to too many fouls and would not handle 40 minutes of up-pace basketball. That said, it wouldn't be 40 minutes at that pace.

I believe this UConn team, when all is said and done, will be one of the top 3 teams in its annals, however, they also face some pretty good opposition-unlike 2002 and 2016 teams. This game would be close and of course the possibility of a blowout by 15 could occur due to shots falling but more likely any range from 1 point to 12 points.

Just please be more respectful of the opponents and their skills. Last I checked, the WNBA does not have ONLY UCONN players but other wonderfully skilled players who played their college ball elsewhere.

Well, in defense of UCONN fans it has been a while since Louisville kept a game within 20 points vs the Huskies, and the recent game was never in doubt after UCONN built an 18 point first half lead. The Huskies also blew out Texas the last three times they played prior to this year.

UCONN historically does a good job handling opposing forwards and posts (Baylor’s strength) so I understand and agree with the logic of a comfortable Connecticut win. If they play Notre Dame, or Mississippi State again, I think those will be tougher oppositions for Connecticut. They aren’t necessarily better teams, but they match up better than Baylor does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom