OK, ETT: Thoughts on Baylor vs. UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OK, ETT: Thoughts on Baylor vs. UConn

JS

Reaction Score
I can’t believe we haven’t heard from ETT on this thread!
Tough last couple of days for him. Managed to annoy a number of people and got called out on and off the board.

Appears right now to be lying low, reading but not posting.

Wish he'd go ahead and post something objective, being he was named in the thread title. (There are other Baylor fans here, but no one quite so notorious prominent.)

Nothing stopping him -- unless it's a sulk or an abundance of caution as to what might lead to more trouble.

Go ahead, ETT, take a chance. An opinion or two, then run for cover before you get accused of pushing it too far and doing a trollomorphosis.

Reaction Score
  • Stanford played 5 players 6-2 or taller, 4 players were 6-3 or taller. They lost by 25.
  • Cal played 5 players 6-2 or taller, 4 players were 6-3 or taller, including Wooden Award finalist (late season list) Kristine Anigwe. They lost by 35.
  • ND's Jessica Shepard scored 10 points on 5-13 shooting in 36 minutes. But those fabulous guards kept ND in it to keep the margin of loss 9.
  • Texas's vaunted scary frontline four scored 28 points among them and shot 12-26 and one person, Jatarie White, had 18 of those points, the other, um, not so much. Texas's guards had 43 points in the 4 point loss in Texas.
  • South Carolina's All American A'ja Wilson shot 4-18 to score 14 points in a 25 point loss in South Carolina.
For all the stressing over opponents' heights, the huge teams haven't had a lot of success against UConn. Well, neither has anyone else but you get my drift. If a team relies on its bigs to lead them to victory, they could be out of luck unless they have fabulous guards that can challenge the Huskies (see ND and Texas). And it took them superwomen-type efforts to keep the loss under 10. Sure, UConn could lose but height isn't going to be the determining factor.
I think HuskyNans and a few others comments are very accurate and to the point. Bigs very rarely beat us unless they are of the quality of Griner. Even Wilson who so many think should be NPOY, couldn't come close to getting it done(and she's a very good big though hardly a great one).
It brings us to the philosophy about how one plays a strong inside, big presence. Yes a team helping defense on those bigs is very important but what caused the problems for SC was outside pressure on the guards making them unable to start their offense from their accustomed places. Pushing them further out and pressuring the guards works much better than collapsing and double and triple teaming. Interestingly enough this is what the current U Conn women's team is best able to do. In most cases this feeds right into who our team and players are. Quick cohesive strong pressure outside followed by our quickness to assist inside when the ball gets in there. This again disrupts the big teams offense and also takes time off their true control of the ball. It often makes them rushed in the shots they take. Actually this outside pressure (with the help of a big inside presence) is what MS brought against U Conn last year. They disrupted our offense and ball movement. I think it most negatively effected Pheesa and Kia. Pheasant had her worst game by far of the year because she was more pressured and then this led to her shots being off a bit and not falling in. If you let her and Kia do their things, generally watch out! Teams like ND generally do this better than teams with two bigs. In that game especially at the start but also on our last offensive possession pressure on the ball is what caused us problems and led to Saniya's poor choice of when and how to put up a shot, even when she was feet from the basket.
Yes it's wonderful to recruit and bring in some bigs, but except for a very few, out most successful bigs were very mobile, excellent passers with great movement and footwork. Stewie was so special because she had both being a big but quick as heck for that size.
I think once we lost to MS because they disrupted us and our style and game plan and we should have been disrupting them.
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jennings and Haughton probably said it best, "It's not the BIG that eat the SMALL ... it's the FAST that eat the SLOW."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, in defense of UCONN fans it has been a while since Louisville kept a game within 20 points vs the Huskies, and the recent game was never in doubt after UCONN built an 18 point first half lead. The Huskies also blew out Texas the last three times they played prior to this year.

UCONN historically does a good job handling opposing forwards and posts (Baylor’s strength) so I understand and agree with the logic of a comfortable Connecticut win. If they play Notre Dame, or Mississippi State again, I think those will be tougher oppositions for Connecticut. They aren’t necessarily better teams, but they match up better than Baylor does.
We must part ways here. MSU is not the same defensive team it was last year and with more offense this year, MSU will have a harder time. The only size they have is McCowan. Z, Pheesa and Gabby can constantly change guarding her. Kia on Vivian’s and Lou with on Blair or Johnson. When William is in, Crystal Dangerfield on her. ND has played us well in-season but my perspective is in a second Game in the NCAA, UConn will win easily especially with this depleted ND team. No disrespect to ND, they have been marvelous with their play. Baylor is my sole concern. Could that game be a blowout, of course, but to regularly predict it so out of hand and be dismissive is disheartening to me. We are more knowledgeable than that. It’s like people here haven’t played sports.

Reaction Score
Tough last couple of days for him. Managed to annoy a number of people and got called out on and off the board.

Appears right now to be lying low, reading but not posting.

Wish he'd go ahead and post something objective, being he was named in the thread title. (There are other Baylor fans here, but no one quite so notorious prominent.)

Nothing stopping him -- unless it's a sulk or an abundance of caution as to what might lead to more trouble.

Go ahead, ETT, take a chance. An opinion or two, then run for cover before you get accused of pushing it too far and doing a trollomorphosis.
He's sulking. We have mutual acquaintances who mentioned/agreed that he's good at poking the hornets nest but not at being poked back. But I agree with you, take a chance...if you get your feelings hurt on a forum then either remove yourself or deal with it.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Bingo. Good forwards and posts don't beat UCONN--guard play does. The only exception to that in the last decade has been a Griner anchored Baylor team, but Brown/Cox are no Griner.

UCONN's game plan would be simple: Nurse pressures the heck out of Wallace and play a sagging defense so you have a body in front of and behind Brown, give Cox daylight from 15+ feet out and sag on the other guards forcing them to make outside shots. Baylor as a team hits less than 5 triples per game. If they start taking perimeter shots, the height advantage they have is negated as long shots lead to long rebounds.

Last year Brown had a monster performance against UCLA and the next game was ineffective going up against 6-1 Collier and 5-11 Williams. While the year is different, I'd expect the outcome to be the same. Also worth noting--what kept Baylor in the game last year? Alexis Jones scoring 23 points and dishing out 6 assists. Guard play.
I keep saying it but people don't listen. Height can be negated by versatility. UConn has proven that repeatedly.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We must part ways here. MSU is not the same defensive team it was last year and with more offense this year, MSU will have a harder time. The only size they have is McCowan. Z, Pheesa and Gabby can constantly change guarding her. Kia on Vivian’s and Lou with on Blair or Johnson. When William is in, Crystal Dangerfield on her. ND has played us well in-season but my perspective is in a second Game in the NCAA, UConn will win easily especially with this depleted ND team. No disrespect to ND, they have been marvelous with their play. Baylor is my sole concern. Could that game be a blowout, of course, but to regularly predict it so out of hand and be dismissive is disheartening to me. We are more knowledgeable than that. It’s like people here haven’t played sports.

Vivians is so good off the dribble and from deep, I don’t see Nurse shutting her down. Also don’t see KLS shutting down Johnson if she’s on, another player with great penetrating ability and range. Size wise, McCowan does a good job of avoiding fouls (sometimes at the cost of giving up layups) and can play long minutes without getting winded. Off the bench Bibby is a very physical scrappy forward who can bring good energy and provide relief. Vivians at 6-1 has a big frame and can defend forwards too. Size wise I think they are very comparable to Connecticut without any matchups that Connecticut can exploit like they can against Baylor.

Notre Dame nearly beat UCONN earlier in the season with the same roster sans Thompson. Mabrey (and Notre Dame for that matter) has a tendency to play very well against the Huskies, and Ogunbowale is capable of exploding too. Two very good scoring guards. They also have good weapons in Young and Shepard. Muffett does a great job of exploiting matchups, so I don’t see UCONN winning easily.

Reaction Score
He's sulking. We have mutual acquaintances who mentioned/agreed that he's good at poking the hornets nest but not at being poked back. But I agree with you, take a chance...if you get your feelings hurt on a forum then either remove yourself or deal with it.
For those who miss ETT he'll be back tomorrow due to the BU vs. TX game especially if BU wins. A BU win may provide a fresh source of discussion points to further validate their relevance as a top team (comparable to UConn) this season to those who are skeptical on this forum therefore look for him to awaken near game time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom